Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ideas for After School 7-yr-old

I'm just about to start looking after a 7-year-old boy after school for a maximum of 3 hours per day and I have 3 15-month-olds who I have full-time so I'm a bit restricted on what I can do with him. Does anyone have any ideas for things I can get him to do on his own (apparently he likes being quiet after a hectic day at school)?

Jun 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about doing scrap art or have a making project that he could do a little bit every day after school around his favourite book or interest, like one of my after schoolers likes knights so I've been collecting cardboard and making shields swords masks and armour with him.

Another one I've done is making their own books, it was a 6yo girl but I printed off the story then she spent various sessions drawing pictures to go with it, more sessions cutting and sticking the pictures into a blank scrapbook then with some help read her story to the others. She loved it when it was finished and when she got to take it home.

Emma x

Jan 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the story idea, I have 3 7 year old girls I look after, I bet they will love that idea!

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

ask him what he likes to do, if he just wants to chill by himself then you could help him make a den just for him to retreat to and read books etc, if the little ones pester him then you could also make them a den.
    I would just put a few toys out for his age ie lego, army men, cars, action figures and offer maybe one activity then just let him get on with it and see what he enjoys most then work on that.