Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
No orange moon are offering a package along the same lines as ****** (not sure if I'm allowed to say it) I don't know if it is provided by bds or they've set up their own. I know many CMs who welcome contracts, policies, obs online. So it is another appealing feature. Bearing in mind I only started CMing 2 years ago if an agency existed to help me set up my business I may well have jumped at the chance as I was not as confident in my own abilities as I am now. I can say with confidence that I wouldn't join now but for new CM's there is an appeal there. Personally I am thinking of the long term, to a day when I might be struggling to attract new clients and will parents be able to see me and my advertising against what could become a well established agency. At the meeting my aims are to find out what I need to do to stay ahead of the game. Could it become 2 tier I hope not, but there are going to be 2 separate trains of thought that you can't ignore.
You are correct that...when first starting...cms welcome all the help they can get in looking at paperwork, having a contract in place...devising policies and also having some knowledge of how to run a business.....going through EYFS thoroughly so all new cms have a good grasp of it
In the past they had to undergo a small test to 'Pass' their knowledge of the course....not sure they do now?

Often other Ofsted registered cms just helped along to smooth the passage to registration...all hands on deck!
they used to 'signpost' new cms to inform themselves in setting up a new business and understand it
they never had paperwork they could copy or buy and which meant little to them!...devising their own was so satisfying.

All that is now gone...because the LAs dropped any help for cms ...or now charge dearly for it

Many LAs are, I am sure, actually helping agencies set up and do all the above....I remember speaking to one agency who said exactly that

I remember all those people who lost their jobs at ET teams...how great to tap into their knowledge and I bet a lot may end up replying to those mentor's adverts for Orange Moon?

The main problem with all this is the commercial companies or anyone making money ...the one BD or many others popping up...you can mention Tapestry here but not others....will make loads of money if the agency cms 'must' buy that package so all are 'cloned' into using the same paperwork
so easy for the agency to keep their eyes on and get someone else to monitor CPPD?
That means very little 'individuality' in an agency...as all cms do the same paperwork

Another reason to support them to stay out of agencies or get out if they can and the support is not right?

All this was available to all newly registering cms via the LA who trained them to register...many also had the help of 'Support Childminders' or those cms who wanted to help a fellow colleague get on the ladder of self employment

While I see where you are coming from and seeing this from many angles...I am sure all those angles have been taken from ICMs themselves.

WE can only wait and see....like me you have an agency on your doorstep and that must be worrying a bit

I am sure you will keep very alert...good luck!