Soon to be registered CM with an agency!

Threaded View

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    This was very much a point of discussion when we were fighting against Truss and the regime's determination to impose agencies upon the world of CMing.

Yes, we may well see CMs turning against CMs. I think a lot of it will depend on whether we still see agencies as a threat to independent CMing or just something we no longer need to worry about.

At the heart of the matter is this: did we have a genuine case against agencies when they were Truss's big issue, or were we all just a bunch of silly CMs getting our nickers in a twist over nothing circa 2012-13?

I still say now what I said then. Agencies have the potential to create local monopolies with the clout to damage independent CMs through overpowering resources such as advertising, networks, access to training, resources, etc. etc. They are playing the same game as us, but playing it by very different rules: including the way they inspect their CMs. We had issues as to whether or not Ofsted were to be the sole arbiters of quality with regard to childcare. Are the agencies ever likely to say their own CMs "require improvement"? Really?

As I said years ago, I am going to find it difficult to give advice to an agency CM, when that is the agency's job. The big thing was always that CM agencies would "remove the burden of paperwork". So I'm gonna be pretty pee-d off the first time an agency CM wants my advice on policies, risk assessments, record-keeping, "do I have to complete a medication form for nappy cream?" etc. Woe betide the first one begging for copies of my risk assessments, etc.
    Totally see what you are saying and agree with a lot of it.
    I will say this again...the main worry for many cms about agencies was 'deregulation' and still is...I literally have the T shirt I wore in our campaign....it says ' Say No to the deregulation of cms'...somewhere Pacey have it on their forum!

My personal feeling is that agency cms will not come to ask about Risk assessment or policies....that will be well looked after and prescribed by the Agencies which are no more than a glorified network...remember those networks where special cms had everything done for them, all guidance digested and then just emailed to them? Oh and they all ended up with fab grades!

Networks created a 2 tier of cms....they created an exclusive club where only those who belonged were able to do funding?
    I remember telling Truss that face to face at Portcullis House...she acted but unfortunately was carrying the agency idea already.

Agencies will do the same if we lock those cms out...agency cms may just want to connect with the rest and not be in a bubble
    I do not ask for support in this forum but like to read what others cms do....that is how I feel it will be with
    Agency CMs...I may be wrong

I recall very clearly Pacey offering support to help agencies to develop to get them to offer the best for children looked after by their cms....why the resentment now and the wish to split cms in 2 again?

Cms against Cms will be a disaster and can only happen if Cms let it happen and instigate it..I won't be part of that...it would be self destruction for cms.

Agencies will not be a threat if we keep alert and continue to rise to Sir Michael's expectations
    Last edited by Simona; 12-01-2016 at 11:31 PM.