CMs Agencies with no CMs on their books
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Simona Guest

Default CMs Agencies with no CMs on their books

Only one agency...Leap Ahead in my LA...is processing registration for cms.
    Most cms interested will be ex Network ones who seemed to be interested when we had meetings..

Childminder agencies without any childminders on their books | Nursery World

Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Pah Sounds like a real flop to me (here's hoping)

'In the process' of registering childminders?

What..just like i'm in the process of becoming a millionaire (when I get that winning ticket)
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting information on our very own Agency12:

City Childcare Childminding Agency was registered with Ofsted on 24 June.

The agency, which is still in the early stages of setting up, has yet to register any childminders.

Based in Woodford Green in London, City Childcare Childminding Agency is being run by nursery provider Louise Felstead (pictured), who holds an Early Years Teacher qualification and is training to become an Ofsted inspector.

So not only do we have an agency among us, but a trainee Ofsted inspector as well

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

The agency, which is still in the early stages of setting up, has yet to register any childminders.

Based in Woodford Green in London, City Childcare Childminding Agency is being run by nursery provider Louise Felstead (pictured), who holds an Early Years Teacher qualification and is training to become an Ofsted inspector.

So not only do we have an agency among us, but a trainee Ofsted inspector as well
    And if I remember well Agency 12 first question was about safeguarding.
    I did not understand her statement on parents asking a nursery for mixed care...CMs get asked as well and that will be very much in demand when the. 30 hours comes in but CMs can still work with nurseries and preschools without going off to an agency!

Smiley....we were tweeting to Sam Gyimah today telling him to UTurn as no one wants or needs agencies.
    He mentioned ' myths' about agencies but there are none...we just don't want them or need them now CMs have an 85% good/outstanding grades.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Well we all realised she was a spy but turned out to be a double agent!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Well we all realised she was a spy but turned out to be a double agent!
    Maybe we could return the favour and infiltrate a 'mole' into the agency.

Anyone live near Woodford Green?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Maybe we could return the favour and infiltrate a 'mole' into the agency.

Anyone live near Woodford Green?
    I think you would be the appropriate candidate...if you fancy a bit of commuting!
    Agency 12 will be too busy inspecting other settings so she would need safe pair of hands!
    Go for it!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate Sarah's reminder about the values/ethos of the Forum in welcoming and supporting all CM's, yet I cannot help but feel very uncomfortable about the whole issue. I fear that what is happening may well presage some form of split. Without getting too philosophical, there is a huge question mark over how, exactly, we individually and collectively maintain our core values when those values are challenged by the very existence of agencies and CMs working under them.

Collectively we argued against the introduction of agencies because we believed, and still believe that agencies represent a clear and present threat our deepest core values and will have numerous deleterious effects on childcare in the UK. How then do we face up to accommodating that which we opposed on the basis of things which cut deep into the heart of what we believe about childcare?

I remain unconvinced that Agency 12 has indeed stepped onto the Forum "in good faith". He/she/it seems to have more questions than answers - a thought which probably sums up the whole issue of agencies.

I have a bad feeling that we may well see a de facto split between agency CMs and independent CMs. If not nationally, then at least perhaps on a local level. The effect of agencies will, we argued, create the potential for localised monopolies by agencies who can out-punch independent CMs for advertising and resources, never mind the very uneven playing field on which inspection will be played out (to my mind, the notion that an agency can both passionately promote and dispassionately inspect its own customers, viz, its CMs is the very epitome the most cynical conflict of interests.)

At a Forum level, what will happen? How do we support agency CMs when we believe agencies (and by logical extension, those CMs who pay them) are damaging childcare? How many of us will feel truly comfortable giving out free information and advice to agency CMs whose very existence damages and threatens their local independent CMs. Is there not a choice to be made as to whom we support?

At the most basic level, when an agency CM asks for our support or information or tips on writing a policy (or whatever) is it not at least reasonable for members to suggest they pose the question to their agency instead? After all, what are they paying the agency for? Were the agencies not set up precisely to provide information and support? Are Forum members then expected to do it for free whilst the agency is gleefully counting out its money?

What I am suggesting is that agencies represent such a quantum shift in childcare provision, that we are talking about something which goes way beyond the mere moving of goalposts. Surely it has become reasonable to question whether we are playing on the same pitch, with the same ball, the same rules, or even the same game.
    Last edited by bunyip; 25-08-2015 at 04:47 PM.

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what the government minister is thinking?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    I wonder what the government minister is thinking?
    Wrong question.

I wonder if the government minister is thinking.

Simona Guest

Teacake.....scary but not I think something to worry about .
    I feel that forum members accepted Agency 12 in good faith but with caution...in fact we did engage very positively and answered her questions on 'what do cms' need from an agency'.
    I doubt Agency 12 would succeed in splitting CMs on their opinion on agencies....to various degrees we object to them but, the main problem which causes immense frustration, is the 'secrecy' from agencies themselves, DfE and Ofsted in this whole business.
    I will keep my reasons quiet on why this may be so.

Let's see if we can start a new chapter on this and be honest and respectful of anyone's feelings.

1. First of all let's clarify on Agency 12 statement 'no point in fighting between us'
    No fighting Agency 12 ...just clear and honest engagement...you did get a few 'measured replies' from cms but that was to be expected considering the level of objection against agencies is close to 100%....challenges were to be expected.

I, in particular, challenged your knowledge during your registration process and posted many links for you to check prior to your registration visit...just as I would do for any other cm asking for support here....some of your questions were astonishing....especially those regarding Safeguarding when you had stated you were a registered nursery setting.
    Now that we know you are being trained to be an 'inspector' those questions on Safeguarding are a bit difficult to understand.

2. Agency 12...despite my very strong anti-feelings regarding agencies I have engaged with you and answered many questions....in fact I was even reprimanded in a DM for being too eager to engage with you but I was clear on my reasons
    you needed to be pointed in the right direction unless you were posting questions to trick us...but I don't believe that to be the reason....I actually felt your knowledge of cms needed improving.

3. So let's be fair...we now know who you are as you have appeared in the NWorld story ...although you did not tell us from the start.
    You are an agency and we are Independent CMs...the dialogue can now begin with the gloves off.
    You can't be surprised at our reaction following that article?

4. In answer to your comment below...I am unsure what you are referring to when you mention 'the amount of clout agencies' have....maybe you could be a bit clearer on that....but I am quite clear having read the guidance

5. Let's clarify this point before any cms starts to panic...I am sure someone will have spotted this elephant in the room?
    'OFSTED have an obligation all over the UK'
    can someone correct me if I am wrong

Ofsted DOES NOT regulates childcare in Scotland nor Wales...nor even Northern Ireland.
    Ofsted regulates England ONLY....I am sure others want to raise their voice here but maybe do not want to engage again?

6. The 'market share' sounds soulless....again it is a bit unclear to me on what you mean
    This is how I translate it: you mean we will have to compete with agencies in the childcare market?
    then yes but we are not soulless as we can argue this with our Ofsted registration, inspection and regulation and ...with ICMs recent performance in inspections' outcome we can argue how we raised our standards without the need for any agency to take over

7. Can Cms switch at any time even from agency to agency?...maybe..... but I would caution any cm trying to do so until the agencies are well established and Ofsted + DfE have tested the system

CMs can leave an agency and go back to Ofsted...yes...but I leave you to read the Ofsted guidance on this and inform your members.
    Please do not reassure any new members of your agency that 'switching is easy'...any new member needs facts on that

8. Agencies will not want to put cms 'out of business'...lets see what happens when all the agencies are up and running....then we will judge but...you are our competition with a huge advantage: the DfE endorses agencies...enough said.

9. Cms have proved that, despite lack of support from LAs, we can rally round and look for support where it is given freely and in good faith.
    Those who, in future, will train ICMs will also offer to train agencies.
    Those who welcome us as members will also welcome agencies

So we will meet again Agency 12 in one of those meetings and we will continue to argue our corner.
    Last edited by Simona; 25-08-2015 at 08:18 AM.

Simona Guest

If any agency CMs ever came on this forum to seek support I strongly believe it would be offered by all of us.
    I doubt though that such cm would do so as they have every thing in 'one stop shop' .....to quote the rethoric.

There is a difference between supporting agency CMs to engaging with agencies themselves...they are a threat to CMs and the whole childminding community as a whole...some of us will never accept them!

While I read that we must now accept agencies as part of the sector landscape I would never agree to that and neither would those who are still fighting against this idiotic idea
    Agency 12 came in this forum asking pertinent questions and was....in my view...far from open often dangling a carrot in front of our eyes

Let's put a stop to the secrecy surrounding CMs agencies then we can have an open debate
    I also resent the comments made by Agency 12 in the NWorld article that there are too many myths surrounding agencies...I wonder what these myths are?

It beats me why this forum would want to question our motives against those of an agency...if not here I will raise my concerns elsewhere about agencies where I will not feel I am being told off.

I am sure the forum was set up to support us all but that was well before the arrival of agencies...it is not the same anymore and we must be free to raise our concerns and argue our points.

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

This is now becoming scary, has Agency 12 joined to try and undermine the forum, (sorry can't use my question mark, cat pulled key off), is that the real reason for joining, to try and split the forum and so she can say see there is no longer much support for childminders and so agencies are really needed, just my thoughts and perhaps reading behind the lines too much and it is a Monday morning and had a bad weekend so perhaps brain engaged in wrong gear.
    Teacake2

Simona Guest

Boring...boring...boring....no news has come out of any agency recruiting CMs as members

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Agency12 is being very quiet.....
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Post Thanks / Like

Still here, new website design (new logos) and promotion materials under way, met with our website marketing people yesterday

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agency12 View Post
    Still here, new website design (new logos) and promotion materials under way, met with our website marketing people yesterday
    Interesting.... but it does not tell us how many cms are on your waiting list to register with your agency....if any?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Website.................
    Logos....................
    Promotion..............
    Website (again).......
    Marketing..............

...no mention of children, families, parents, childminders...............

Now we see how the agencies set their priorities, all is laid bare.

Shame.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Website.................
    Logos....................
    Promotion..............
    Website (again).......
    Marketing..............

...no mention of children, families, parents, childminders...............

Now we see how the agencies set their priorities, all is laid bare.

Shame.
    Children, families, parents and CMs are all going to be 'marketed' ....I expect CMs may have to wear a Tshirt with the logo 'I am an Agency cm'!....perish the thought
    I curse the day Truss turned childcare into a market...it's all her fault!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Children, families, parents and CMs are all going to be 'marketed' ....I expect CMs may have to wear a Tshirt with the logo 'I am an Agency cm'!....perish the thought
    I curse the day Truss turned childcare into a market...it's all her fault!
    I'm no fan of Ms. Truss, but I don't believe she turned childcare into a market. I think that is too big a claim even for an ultimate class-traitor wrecking-ball careerist politico like Truss. I suspect money has changed hands to have children cared for since the Pharoah's daughter put Moses out to a wet-nurse.

Regulation did a lot to strengthen and accelerate the reality of childcare as a marketable commodity, because it limited the supply of legal paid-for childcare and created something akin to a closed-shop scenario (not so much in the trades union sense, but more like the Medieval guilds.) In that respect, we are more responsible than The Truss Woman for the marketplace aspect of childcare.

I don't presume to put words in your mouth but, if I guess correctly that you mean Truss put the economics before the child, then I agree with you on that much.

And now she's doing to the dairy farmers pretty much what she did for childcare.............................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast