DfE has released a step-by-step guide for agencies (29 Aug)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default DfE has released a step-by-step guide for agencies (29 Aug)

Well ...let's see if this is a bit more realistic than the Ofsted Handbook
    Have not read it ...so look forward to the comments after you have digested 46 pages

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...uide_final.pdf

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Lost the will to live at page 8..
    Debbie

3. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    Lost the will to live at page 8..
    I am in Kate Bush mood this week so WOW! WOW! WOW! Unbelievable!!!!
    2 days to go and the guide is out...perfect timing!

I gave up after page 6 where the SHOULD and MUSTS have been replaced by ...what an agency MIGHT or MAY offer...blah...blah...blah !!...I am running up that hill !

Sorry about the banter...had enough of factsheets...handbooks and guidance for a week

5. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well page six has annoyed me, it suggests things that agencies might provide! Invoicing services, manage parental fees, administer paperwork for tax and NI contributions, help childminders apply to provide early education places etc etc. for goodness sake do they think we need help with all the things we have always done! Give me strength not reading anymore

Apr 99
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the childminding agencies will be the early years equivalent of the carer system in place for the elderly........Childminders can be registered with one agency but can offer service to other agencies in their area..............with all the mixing and matching of parents when childminders are unable to work because of complaints and disputes or ill (I was amused to read that the complaints came before the illnesses) the poor children won't know where they are!

Four or more adults looking after children in a childminder's house.................agency childminders must have mansions!

The very first line of the document sets the tone for me or am I being pickey??.....Shouldn't the high quality childcare places not be for 'children' not 'parents'???

All I can say after flicking through that is 'Good luck to whoever wants to joins an agency....it is definitely NOT for me'.

8. Likes mum67, Jayse74 liked this post
    Simona Guest

It feels to me like the new cms who join this agencies will have no way of developing their practice or building their business...but I always thought that would be the case

I wonder what will attract experienced and well established cms to join though apart from wanting to hand over their independence to an unknown quantity and possibly a very badly qualified one at that!! Aspirations for agency leaders are not that high are they?

The agency will do everything for CMs...from researching and landing updates in their inbox with useful summaries of what the changes are to legislation and regulation...all cms have to do is click a button and all is revealed...a non brainer then?

they will apply for everything on behalf of these cms so disabling cms from becoming small entrepreneurs with thinking and active brains
    they will look at everything and take over every aspect of business that will remove the burden from cms ...in other words the paperwork will be uniform and all the same...a bit of cloning at a charge I suppose

it would not surprise me if agencies will do policies and all documents for these cms thus removing any process of reflection from these individuals and any chance of good practice and initiative removed...I wonder where they will steal the ideas for paperwork from?
    Reminds me of what some networks did...

But the big question is why publish this guidance 2 days before agencies are due to be up and running and operating?

Many of those thinking of setting up will do so under the CIC mantle and cms in my area will have two at their doorstep as both will be run under the social enterprise banner

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit confused as to why all who work with the children at childcare on domestic premises have to have health check with gp? Assistants don't do they?

Also how can an agency just say they don't want you or are cancelling your membership with no appeal? Surely that could lead to rascism, clashes of personality, bullying etc.

You can only join one agency at a time but can apply to another whilst still a member of the first, surely the first will find out and cancel your membership and you might not even get accepted at the new one.

Lots of we will leave it up to agencies what they will or will not offer, really not very clear at all what the benefit might be and will surely lead to the every county/agency is different like we had under the networks,with the boundaries/rules/expectations changing frequently to suit who ever is in charge or visiting from the agency.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Well all I can say is if people do go with agencies they get better looked after and more help than my LA's DO has given me. Surely they were to work with us in more or less the same way as the DfE expects agencies to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Agencies have guidelines about refusing registration,such as issuing notices of improvement etc

But you are right, agencies are not required to give a reason for non-registration (in reality cm's would have to be really out of line to get refused

But the reasons would be financial (not paying for registration- just as ofsted would de-register for the same reason)- or non-compliance with policies and procedures, contractual obligations that sort of thing

The inspectors would be just as human and just as prone to prejudice as any one of us, but there are checks in place - and ofsted are inspecting the agencies - they will be viewing complaints from cm's and how they were resolved when they inspect the agencies

We would always ask if a cm was registered with another agency, and why they left, for as you know you tend to take your baggage with you

Leaving an agency for another shouldn't be that much of an issue, there will probably be a fair amount of free-market balancing until the agencies settle into recognised areas, USPs, specialities, price ranges etc

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agency12 View Post
    Agencies have guidelines about refusing registration,such as issuing notices of improvement etc

But you are right, agencies are not required to give a reason for non-registration (in reality cm's would have to be really out of line to get refused

But the reasons would be financial (not paying for registration- just as ofsted would de-register for the same reason)- or non-compliance with policies and procedures, contractual obligations that sort of thing

The inspectors would be just as human and just as prone to prejudice as any one of us, but there are checks in place - and ofsted are inspecting the agencies - they will be viewing complaints from cm's and how they were resolved when they inspect the agencies

We would always ask if a cm was registered with another agency, and why they left, for as you know you tend to take your baggage with you

Leaving an agency for another shouldn't be that much of an issue, there will probably be a fair amount of free-market balancing until the agencies settle into recognised areas, USPs, specialities, price ranges etc
    My understanding from the EY team which has become an agency in my area is that cms can register with more than one agency...just as they can register as an agency in neighbouring areas.

There can be many reasons why an agency would want to deregister a cm...but these are in the guidance and would have to be clearly stated by the agency.
    Also reasons why a cm wishes to leave an agency...move to another or re register with Ofsted...again this would be declared.
    I would be cautious in labelling this 'baggage'.

It is in fact a major issue but we need more guidance from Ofsted.
    A cm in that position would reapply to register with Ofsted.
    Until this is all up and running we remain a little sceptical.