#OfstedBigConversation...latest
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default #OfstedBigConversation...latest

Sorry everyone about the short interruption to 'info sharing'...all back to normal now: business as usual.

There are many threads on #OBC so this one is a new one where all the LATEST will be posted to you from now on!
    Sarah will add some useful links too...thanks for that!

All the feedback from the meetings have now been collated and you will find them on the #OBC website

#OfstedBigConversation: Home

The website is also collecting personal experiences about your inspection...you do not need to give your name...so if you feel strongly do post...it is the only way #OBC can gather evidence apart from that collated on FB or by other means. There is team of people from the campaign working on this

Send Us Your Inspection Story - #OfstedBigConversation

You are aware that PLA asked Ofsted, under the FOI, to release statistics on inspections, downgrading etc.
    Today Ofsted have released the latest figures but PLA and NDNA are none too happy...however... amongst the gloom there is wonderful news for cms:

Here it is
    ''The statistics also show that childminders are closing the gap between the quality of their provision and that provided by group settings, with 67 per cent of childminders judged good or outstanding compared to 70 per cent of non‑domestic providers since the new inspection framework was introduced in September 2012. In 2011 – 12 there was a 7 per cent gap between childminders and group settings, at 72 and 79 per cent respectively. This undermines the Government’s arguments for the setting up of childminding agencies as a means of driving up quality standards among childminders.''

So well done and let's back this campaign...the sector is truly united in this

Here is the PLA press release

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/media/...ted-statistics

Simona Guest

Neil Leitch PLA CEO is not going to take no for an answer...so he has filed a second FOI request...tenacity pays in the end!

Good luck Neil...we are all behind you on this!

Ofsted rebuffs FOI request for inspection data | Nursery World

Simona Guest

PLA Neil Leitch published a Press release yesterday regarding Ofsted's latest statistics on inspection and lack of clarity and Oftsed failure to respond to his FOI.

Today NDNA Purnima Tanuku and June O'Sullivan organiser of #OBC have added their comments on the way inspections are carried out and

You will see that they too question why agencies are necessary when cms are closing the gap in raising quality, however, they comment on the increase of inadequate grades and the decrease from outstanding in this paragraph.

“When this quarterly report is looked at alongside the annual figures which has inadequate gradings at one per cent it shows a worrying increase. This is reinforced by the figures for outstanding, good and satisfactory gradings which are all showing a decrease in the quarterly report compared to the annual report''

Read the whole press release here

National Day Nurseries Association | press releases | Leading childcare organisations voice their concerns about the!

I have so far not come across any other association making a response to the recent statistics.

One additional important bit of information is that the forum and my Focus Group are directly linked to the #OBC
    website...this will make it easier for all cms to connect to the campaign and keep updated.

#OfstedBigConversation: Follow the conversation

Simona Guest

Latest out just after I posted below...with Pacey adding comments

All concerned about the drop in grading
    More early years settings downgraded by Ofsted | Nursery World

...and another one from CYPNow
    Ofsted data management frustrates early years sector | Children & Young People Now

Uuhhh...they just keep pouring in...I don't ever remember the sector and press so united!!
    Can Ofsted afford to ignore this and not engage with us??

Ofsted accused of publishing inadequate childcare statistics
    Last edited by Simona; 20-09-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is worrying me why Ofsted appear to have a problem with engaging with the sector - they have so far avoided all attempts to discuss the issues from what I have read.

I haven't had any feedback on the letter we sent to Ofsted via PLA yet either. Another thing we mustn't forget about because it affects every one of us.

Thank you for keeping us updated Simona!

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

Latest...

We are being asked to share as much as possible by those who run the #OBC website....they are being inundated with emails and responding too
    This is my email to them:

''I have shared all info on FOI, all press releases and press articles on the ICFG and Childminding forum both linked to the #OBC website.
    In return all the cms are asked to share on FB and anywhere they can such as local cms groups...we are reaching out to over 25,000 cms and other professionals.
    Anything else I can do please let me know.
    Thanks everybody...this is a great effort by all.''

The next step in the campaign, as suggested by June, is waiting for 2 weeks from the meetings held everywhere, then if no response from Ofsted June will issue an 'open letter' on behalf of the sector.

Sarah...Ofsted is not responding to anyone, not even FOI, but your letter would have reached them together will all the tweets and messages ..some are going as far as saying Ofsted is digging a big hole for themselves.
    The best outcome for all of us is for Ofsted to engage...I can't imagine what they would lose by doing so?

Please share with anyone you can think of at local level, via twitter, FB, Linked in, at cms meetings and even your LAs.
    Share with parents too...

The statistics released yesterday show a drop in grades...around 68% and 69% compared to before the new inspections started where cms were 71% and others 74%...this can only be the result of the new grading system, even though cms are closing the gap.
    As we have said before and echoed by June, this will have repercussions on the 2 yo funding.

The agency issue is now coming up regualrly...why introduce them if cms are showing they can raise standards? someone suggested the downgrading could be a push towards agencies if too many cms get inadequate could the answer be join one?
    we must keep that in mind....it never left mine.

Agencies are piloting and we are none the wiser who they are...the DfE won't release their names due to confidentiality as the people involved do not want to be identified for fear of cms backlash!!

Eventually we will get to know ...in the meantime the inspection issue has brought agencies back in the discussion and the sector united

All we can do is join in...54,000 of us do make a difference!

8. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We are sharing on our Facebook group... hopefully others will too

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    We are sharing on our Facebook group... hopefully others will too
    Thank you Sarah I know you are.
    I received an email from #OBC HQ...thumbs up...so our effort are collective are appreciated!

Can you gather from what cms discuss if they were aware of the campaign (it has been going on for months), what their concerns are and are they ready to join in further action?
    Does anyone know if their LA has shown any concerns at all?

On top of that, apart from PLA who is speaking for cms regularly, are any other associations joining in this that you are aware of?
    Pacey is aware we know but their feedback from the meeting has not been uploaded on the #OBC website...does anyone know what they intend to do?
    It would be good to get feedback from the Regional meetings that are taking place at the moment.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some cms are aware - but not all by any means. Social media does capture quite a few people but there are lots more who refuse to use it xx

Simona Guest

Some cms are aware - but not all by any means. Social media does capture quite a few people but there are lots more who refuse to use it xx
    I just had a short talk with Meg Hillier MP and she is not aware of #OBC ....so we have work to do
    I will see Sharon Hodgson in a minute at conference ...see how updates she is?

Simona Guest

I have done some feedback on the conference yesterday....anyone interested can find it in my Focus Group

I am at the moment posting there, in this forum and on LinkedIn so basically tripling my effort to get the info everywhere...apologies that I have not fedback directly here...not enough time

Off I go now to listen to Stephen Twigg MP announce Labour's policy on childcare...back later

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I read about schools being open all day - but didn't see any mention of childminders and the wrap around care we already offer - did they forget about us?

Simona Guest

I read about schools being open all day - but didn't see any mention of childminders and the wrap around care we already offer - did they forget about us?
    Stephen Twigg will unveil the Childcare policy today after 2pm.....yesterday we just had a taste !
    Unfortunately Sharon' workshop started late and we run out of time but she did mention cms and agencies.....no time to discuss...more info in my feedback
    after his speech we will know more ...then we can comment on the content but so far opening schools from 8- 6 pm is not innovative and, yes, they will be a threat to cms,

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Lawks - looks like we will lose after school care then.....

We can compete with holiday clubs though as we are more fun (acc to my schoolies) lots of kids hate them
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You must remember that there will always be parents who do not actually want their children in school from 8am to 6pm and will prefer to have them in a home environment.

You also need to take into account the large number of before and after school clubs that have closed either due to lack of use or they can't run at the cheap fees they are expected to charge.

Also not all schools may want to have this facility in the school and may choose to link to local cms to provide the wrap around bit before and after school.

Nothing is anything like set in stone.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jadavi View Post
    Lawks - looks like we will lose after school care then.....

We can compete with holiday clubs though as we are more fun (acc to my schoolies) lots of kids hate them
    What is being proposed is that schools will offer 'wrap around' care 8-6pm...something some schools do already while others don't.
    It is also being proposed that it will be a 'legal' obligation for schools to do so...unless they have the facility and staff that won't happen
    Even if schools offers wrap around care term time ...what happens at half term and school holidays which, parents at the conference, are saying is in short supply.?

So ...I am sorry this proposal is not a winner...at least for me.
    I have vidoed Stephen Twigg's speech and I also know it has been transcripted...once I get a chance to look I will feedback

More info will be found on my Focus Group as feedback from the conference and under #OBC
    Last edited by Simona; 22-09-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Simona Guest

Latest blog by June O'Sullivan...following the meetings across England Ofsted are willing to meet the sector .
    YES!!! Positive engagement has worked...

Ofsted want to join the Big Conversation; so let the mediation begin

Nursery World....the editor's view

Editor's view - A conversation should be a two-way process | Nursery World

and more
    Ofsted Big Conversation - More than 300 people unite for Ofsted action | Nursery World
    Last edited by Simona; 23-09-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Latest blog by June O'Sullivan...following the meetings across England Ofsted are willing to meet the sector .
    YES!!! Positive engagement has worked...

Ofsted want to join the Big Conversation; so let the mediation begin

Nursery World....the editor's view

Editor's view - A conversation should be a two-way process | Nursery World

and more
    Ofsted Big Conversation - More than 300 people unite for Ofsted action | Nursery World
    That all sounds very positive!

Simona Guest

Nursery World article confirming Ofsted will meet with providers and engage in discussions following the #ofstedbgconverstaion successful meetings

I do hope though that it is not just going to be the chairs but the meeting will include a representation of all providers: pre-schools, nurseries and cms
    Will post when I know more

Ofsted 'willing' to meet with nurseries and childminders | Nursery World