Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Make your concerns known!

The Childminding Forum and Independent Childminders Facebook group have received a lot of messages this week from very worried childminders who have read the latest Govt plan 'More affordable childcare' and want to know what it will mean to them.

On behalf of the Childminding Forum and our Facebook members I am putting together a comprehensive response to the plan - I have attached the draft format to this post.

If you have any comments / criticisms / proofing notes or anything you want me to add to the letter please let me know!

I have had amazing support from proofreaders across the country - for which I am very grateful - thank you all very much!

I would like to publish it on Monday if possible and get it out there to news agencies etc as soon as possible but I am keen to listen and engage with you all first so please do contact me

New version of the letter - for posting or emailing or changing to reflect your views

Make your concerns about the Govt's plans known!
    Last edited by sarah707; 23-07-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: New version finished! :)

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Excellent as always Sarah
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

apr 87
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    The Childminding Forum and Independent Childminders Facebook group have received a lot of messages this week from very worried childminders who have read the latest Govt plan 'More affordable childcare' and want to know what it will mean to them.

On behalf of the Childminding Forum and our Facebook members I am putting together a comprehensive response to the plan - I have attached the draft format to this post.

If you have any comments / criticisms / proofing notes or anything you want me to add to the letter please let me know!

I have had amazing support from proofreaders across the country - for which I am very grateful - thank you all very much!

I would like to publish it on Monday if possible and get it out there to news agencies etc as soon as possible but I am keen to listen and engage with you all first so please do contact me

Attachment 7508
    Brilliant Sarah and thank you for voicing all our concerns

4. Likes Rick, Richard liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Great letter, makes it clear exactly what our concerns are!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post

Attachment 7508
    I have read the letter Sarah and will talk to you

It is also worth flagging this petition up which the DfE has sneaked in without much fanfare and due to holidays may get buried away
    The whole sector needs to be aware of it not just cms...some responses are welcome but a lot of people are taking this lying down
    The proposals in MAC are step by step deregulation...cms first via agencies and then wraparound care which will affect nurseries and preschools as well

There are a couple of good things in MAC but on the whole Truss has wasted a good opportunity to look at the cost of childcare...the reason she got the job in the first place but has failed to address the real problems and what she proposes will not achieve lower costs

https://www.education.gov.uk/consult...rnal=no&menu=1

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah...will be using that!!
    You're fab, what would we do without you?!

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I have read the letter Sarah and will talk to you

It is also worth flagging this petition up which the DfE has sneaked in without much fanfare and due to holidays may get buried away
    The whole sector needs to be aware of it not just cms...some responses are welcome but a lot of people are taking this lying down
    The proposals in MAC are step by step deregulation...cms first via agencies and then wraparound care which will affect nurseries and preschools as well

There are a couple of good things in MAC but on the whole Truss has wasted a good opportunity to look at the cost of childcare...the reason she got the job in the first place but has failed to address the real problems and what she proposes will not achieve lower costs

https://www.education.gov.uk/consult...rnal=no&menu=1

what does truss care now, she has got what she wanted, spouted a load of tosh, got the job, spouted a load more tosh get goves job..........

brilliant letter as always sarah!

When can we start sending?

Monday?
    boo

9. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    what does truss care now, she has got what she wanted, spouted a load of tosh, got the job, spouted a load more tosh get goves job..........

brilliant letter as always sarah!

When can we start sending?

Monday?
    This is not about Truss ...there are few of her ideas in this document, many have been fed to her...mostly it is Ofsted and Wilshaw's agenda, who we know very well 'does not wish to inspect cms' and is pushing for agencies and, of course, Gove, the main force behind all this...they are great mates!!
    very little of this is Truss' work...

I cannot believe that with a degree in economics she hasn't realised this is not going to work especially when following a system that is being repealed in the very country she wishes to emulate...The Dutch agencies??

This all to do with saving money and nothing to do with high quality or cutting costs to parents...a very flawed ideology and Tory policy.. they want to deregulate everything that moves

Politics have no place in Early Years
    Come Sept childminding will be a totally different proposition!!

11. Likes Donkey, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you

Sarah, just a thank you as I can see a lot of effort and time has gone into this response and so quickly. It is very much appreciated that you have taken the time and to all those who have contributed as well.

Childminders need a voice and thank you again for providing this.

Many thanks,
    Wiggle

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you for all the feedback guys! I am adding more information as it is given to me by various members.

Yes Donkey the intention is that it will be ready for Monday

June 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not about Truss ...there are few of her ideas in this document, many have been fed to her...mostly it is Ofsted and Wilshaw's agenda, who we know very well 'does not wish to inspect cms' and is pushing for agencies and, of course, Gove, the main force behind all this...they are great mates!!
    very little of this is Truss' work...

I cannot believe that with a degree in economics she hasn't realised this is not going to work especially when following a system that is being repealed in the very country she wishes to emulate...The Dutch agencies??

This all to do with saving money and nothing to do with high quality or cutting costs to parents...a very flawed ideology and Tory policy.. they want to deregulate everything that moves

Politics have no place in Early Years
    Come Sept childminding will be a totally different proposition!!
    Not just deregulate - they seem to be looking at every area of governmental responsibility & working out how to add a profit-making layer into it. Presumably available as rewards to their backers & incentives for future loyalty. And if they're happy placing responsibility for the care of vulnerable children into private hands (http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...ivatised-labou) then what won't they consider?? Unbelievable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggle Wiggle View Post
    Sarah, just a thank you as I can see a lot of effort and time has gone into this response and so quickly. It is very much appreciated that you have taken the time and to all those who have contributed as well.

Many thanks,
    Wiggle

My sentiments exactly, thankyou very much!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggle Wiggle View Post

Many thanks,
    Wiggle

Couldn't agree more at this time it is so important that all childminders join together and act as 'a single voice'. I have started going through my local FIS list of cms and the ones who publish their email will be getting one from me in the next few days with links to all the various forums and sites that are fighting the cause of childminders.

17. Likes mum26 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Couldn't agree more at this time it is so important that all childminders join together and act as 'a single voice'. I have started going through my local FIS list of cms and the ones who publish their email will be getting one from me in the next few days with links to all the various forums and sites that are fighting the cause of childminders.
    I disagree with this statement...
    cms MUST use their voice 'individually' to express their concerns ...in other words there must be thousands of voices and thousands of emails written to all people who matter: MPs, the Lords, representing Associations, the Unions, political parties, LAs and all the charities such as 4Children, Family and Daycare Trust who are busy taking money from the govt and rolling out its agenda

I am very appreciative of those who write on our behalf and thankful for the trouble they take but it cannot be one letter written on behalf of thousands....we MUST add our individual concerns!
    it has to be thousands of them, it is the volume that matters, the more emails MPs receive the better or the govt will turn around as they have and say they have received few concerns which is exactly what they have done about agencies

'a single voice' refers to a particular website which we know cannot be mentioned here and which I would not wish to express concerns on my behalf because I have a 'voice'!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I disagree with this statement...
    cms MUST use their voice 'individually' to express their concerns ...in other words there must be thousands of voices and thousands of emails written to all people who matter: MPs, the Lords, representing Associations, the Unions, political parties, LAs and all the charities such as 4Children, Family and Daycare Trust who are busy taking money from the govt and rolling out its agenda

I am very appreciative of those who write on our behalf and thankful for the trouble they take but it cannot be one letter written on behalf of thousands....we MUST add our individual concerns!
    it has to be thousands of them, it is the volume that matters, the more emails MPs receive the better or the govt will turn around as they have and say they have received few concerns which is exactly what they have done about agencies

'a single voice' refers to a particular website which we know cannot be mentioned here and which I would not wish to express concerns on my behalf because I have a 'voice'!
    I was not referring to any websites. When referring to cm acting as 'a single voice' I mean we all need to campaign and write and email individually but all saying the same thing so our a single voice of concerns is heard loud and clear. Contacting all those in our areas who are on FIS is one way of spreading the word to all those who never appear at cm groups, training etc. If all of us did this I am sure it would pass the messages out to many more who could then write, email etc.

June 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the volume - I think the success Action 38 have had with campaigns about the NHS, Forestry & many others is that the coalition is presented with the force of public opinion, & can see that many many individual voters feel strongly enough about an issue to campaign. That was what really won it with ratios despite the force of our arguments it was numbers of potentially lost votes that did it. Which is as it should be - they are there after all to represent us!

Simona Guest

These are my questions for your letter Sarah

1. Wilshaw stated last year that cms are 'too expensive to register and inspect'
    cms immediately offered to pay more towards their registration fee to help with costs but stay registered

Why introduce agencies then if the issue of inspection costs could be resolved this way?
    Why ask agencies to register cms when all that Ofsted has to do is to cover the cost of registering new cms? (I understand that anyone wishing to become an inspector has to pay for their training so registering could be done at cms expense)

2. LAs have been funded over the years to support cms. Some have done so others have not but they have retained the funding allocated for the purpose

Why should a cm who has not received any support from their LA suddenly want to join a LA agency and pay for the support they were entitled to receive under the Childcare Act 2006?

Why not 'standardise' the support LAs give cms rather than have 152 variations?
    Why not allow LAs to raise funds by charging an 'affordable' sum and have all cms in one big network/hub?

3. Why do we continue to call it the Free Entitlement when it is not free but a subsidy from providers?

4. Does the DfE really believe that the cost of childcare can be more affordable when providers costs continue to rise ?

These questions are based on my notes from the meeting with Truss last year

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

These are my questions for your letter Sarah

1. Wilshaw stated last year that cms are 'too expensive to register and inspect'
    cms immediately offered to pay more towards their registration fee to help with costs but stay registered

Why introduce agencies then if the issue of inspection costs could be resolved this way?
    Why ask agencies to register cms when all that Ofsted has to do is to cover the cost of registering new cms? (I understand that anyone wishing to become an inspector has to pay for their training so registering could be done at cms expense)

2. LAs have been funded over the years to support cms. Some have done so others have not but they have retained the funding allocated for the purpose

Why should a cm who has not received any support from their LA suddenly want to join a LA agency and pay for the support they were entitled to receive under the Childcare Act 2006?

Why not 'standardise' the support LAs give cms rather than have 152 variations?
    Why not allow LAs to raise funds by charging an 'affordable' sum and have all cms in one big network/hub?

3. Why do we continue to call it the Free Entitlement when it is not free but a subsidy from providers?

4. Does the DfE really believe that the cost of childcare can be more affordable when providers costs continue to rise ?

These questions are based on my notes from the meeting with Truss last year
    Thank you for your contributions Simona I will make sure all those questions are covered

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you Sarah. You and Simona have been amazing keeping us updated on all the new shennigans and proposals and making the time to attend meetings and compose replies.

thank you
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

24. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have tried to include the views of every childminder who contacted me! Hopefully everyone is happy with the finished letter.

You can find the letter here -

Make your concerns about the Govt's plans known!

It is also a Forum blog here -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...care-plan.html

You can use the blog to link in Twitter conversations!

You can use the letter to print and send - or email as an attachment and send

I don't mind what you do with it - but please, please send a copy to the Dept for Education!

They need to know that childminders do not agree with agencies