How much does it cost to set up a cminding or nursery business?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default How much does it cost to set up a cminding or nursery business?

I found this information on the PLA's new feed on twitter @under5mag ...recently set up

This is the tweet:
    'Government has made "no assessment of the average cost" of setting up a childminding or nursery business' with this link to a question posed by Lucy Powell MP (a cms supporter and dead against agencies!)

Children: Day Care: 13 Jun 2013: Hansard Written Answers and Statements - TheyWorkForYou

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading about this back in April and wondering how £500 would help a nursery set up, it seems such a small amount. I understand the reasoning for £250 for childminders is to cover intial cost such as reg and insurance, but there is far more costs than just the basics that the grant covers.

£250 - would cover £35 Ofsted, £40ish insurance, £50 doctors medical form (avg), £50 first aid course, £35 ICO, £25 paperwork/forms

But then you would also need the following:

List includes:
    Taking the CYPOP5 course if not free with LA
    Equipment - prams, highchairs, cots, car seats
    Resources
    Adaptions to the home/garden
    Advertising Costs
    No Guarantee of work so need funds to cover at least 6 months
    Other courses if not funded by LA

and im sure there is more i could add. So as much as the £250 would help someone with the intial costs as we all know if you dont get guaranteed work straight away then buying any of the other stuff has to wait until you are earning money, which can change at any point.

So yet again the government are offering these grants, as "look what we are doing helping childcare businesses set up", when in reality no one has thought about what the real costs are.