Ofsted possible inspection fee??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  46
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Simona Guest

Default Ofsted possible inspection fee??

This is news that has been on twitter yesterday and also the subject of discussion in other forums but no one had confirmed it as true
    The 'possible' figure quoted is £700 but NO CONFIRMATION as yet

Have you come across the latest figure that is circulating about our possible inspection fee??...maybe you are on Facebook and have seen discussions there?

If so would you share as I honestly feel this is all very unhelpful and many cms appear to be in all sorts of forums and websites picking up information

There is a call to the govt to come out and give us information but...I ask again....where are our representing associations who constantly tell us they are in 'ongoing' discussions with the DfE, Ofsted and Truss?

2. Likes lilac_dragon liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that per year or per 'cycle' Simona? Either way, ouch!

I'm getting a sinking feeling that staying independent is going to be made very difficult to sustain. Fingers crossed that agencies will fail spectacularly and independent childminders can stay in business long enough to help pick up the pieces when they do!

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I saw that on facebook pages last night as well.

Another thing to drive us out - some months I barely make £700, am I am apparently going to have to find that much to pay Ofsted???

Why are Truss and Ofsted determined to push us out??

It's all their way or the highway, with nothing in between.

I think its all part of a larger plan to drive all existing childminders out of business, and all new ones will be under their leadership via the agencies and will tow the party line.

Marnie x

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I saw that yesterday too. £700 is extortionate, I don't see how it can be justified. That is not much less than my monthly income. They are clearly trying to make it as difficult as possible to stay independent which is wrong

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure I read on a thread here linked to a newspaper or magazine article saying that Agencies could be charging £700 a year too! These figures are ridiculous - we all moan about paying Ofsted £35 a year and Morton Michel £44 a year and ICO £35 a year - no way would I pay £700 to an agency or Ofsted - I would want the agency to do all my paperwork including writing up observations for that kind of money and I would want Ofsted to be nice, helpful, positive and polite!

8. Likes loocyloo, Shamai liked this post
    Simona Guest

I don't know is the answer as I am reporting what I have read
    The fee is for 'inspection'...as they will probably be every 4 years...to be confirmed of course...that means £175 per year which in turns means saving £15 per month...but who knows???

The cost to registering for an agency also came out as around that figure...but no agency setting up is confirming that either

The only thing that drives me potty is that this information is circulating on Facebook which is a social media...who is starting these rumours and why?

I also feel it is unfair as many representing associations are constantly telling us they engage with Ofsted and the DfE so it should be up to them to clarify before these bits of info come out and confuse us more
    Last edited by Simona; 29-05-2013 at 08:19 AM.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Its all rumours and guesswork at the minute. Could they actually increase the ofsted fee that much without it being illegal. Is it the monopolys people who would be interested as they are effectively trying to put us out of business. But until its fact its pointless in second guessing
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

11. Likes Mouse liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It started as a blog..... Someone posted it on Facebook and it was removed.

That's a serious amount of money
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Simona Guest

I am being very cautious and not second guess and I would welcome clarification from those in a position to do so
    If it is rumours then those spreading it should be very careful as it will only cause further unnecessary worry...if it is on Facebook someone must be starting the debate???
    I am not there and do not know how it works
    The news is reported as coming from someone close to Ofsted...whoever they are?

I am also aware that many cms belong to many forums and websites and different associations so picking up various bits of information along the way...I wonder if we should address this question to whoever we belong to and hope they will give us some idea???

I belong to ncma at present so will try there first

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I read that post on facebook yesterday and wondered what the point of it was other than to spread hysteria & panic It's pure speculation, not based on any fact at all, as far as I can see. But now we have childminders posting that inspection fees are going to be £700...as if it's fact.

Maybe inspection fees will be that high, but maybe they won't. Until we are told officially it's all guess work.

15. Likes FussyElmo liked this post
    Simona Guest

We are stressing here that we need to know for sure...and yes the original post on Facebook has created panic, if that is where it has come from, but then everything for cms is pure speculation at present...agencies, childcare hubs, funding for 2 year olds, LAs future support for us, ratios and now Ofsted fee

Lets see if anyone comes out with anything concrete

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I am being very cautious and not second guess and I would welcome clarification from those in a position to do so
    If it is rumours then those spreading it should be very careful as it will only cause further unnecessary worry...if it is on Facebook someone must be starting the debate???
    I am not there and do not know how it works
    The news is reported as coming from someone close to Ofsted...whoever they are?I am also aware that many cms belong to many forums and websites and different associations so picking up various bits of information along the way...I wonder if we should address this question to whoever we belong to and hope they will give us some idea???

I belong to ncma at present so will try there first
    Does anyone at Ofsted actually know anything

Someone close to Ofsted let me see its the sister of a friends boyfriends sister inlaw mothers great auntys next door neighbours cleaners cousins three times removed
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

18. Likes Mouse, hectors house liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Simona there have been other rumours etc I believe - you mentioned here http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...ml#post1254665
    Is this a similar figure to previous suggestions? We need to be aware of the costs of remaining independent , how else can we run viable businesses?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    We are stressing here that we need to know for sure...and yes the original post on Facebook has created panic, if that is where it has come from, but then everything for cms is pure speculation at present...agencies, childcare hubs, funding for 2 year olds, LAs future support for us, ratios and now Ofsted fee

Lets see if anyone comes out with anything concrete
    From the very beginning I've been telling people panicking about rumours. Save the panicking until we know the facts!

I do agree with what FussyElmo has said. Would our fee really increase from £35 a year to £175 (assuming we were inspected once every 4 years and the fee was per inspection)? And even if it did, £175 a year is £15 a month. More than any of us want to pay out I'm sure, but not so much that people will have to give up childminding, as I have seen many posting they will have to do.

Social media is a wonderful thing, but not when so many people end up worrying over pure speculation.

Simona Guest

I agree we need to know but from those who really know and not via social media
    The article on the DfE calculations is very well in the public domain and still getting lots of attention

I have just contacted Ofsted and reported my concerns to them about this news...will anybody else do that?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    From the very beginning I've been telling people panicking about rumours. Save the panicking until we know the facts!

I do agree with what FussyElmo has said. Would our fee really increase from £35 a year to £175 (assuming we were inspected once every 4 years and the fee was per inspection)? And even if it did, £175 a year is £15 a month. More than any of us want to pay out I'm sure, but not so much that people will have to give up childminding, as I have seen many posting they will have to do.

Social media is a wonderful thing, but not when so many people end up worrying over pure speculation.
    Social media is fab for self publication, creating rumours, personal vendettas, pure nosiness, stalking, etc etc but if you want fact you don't go to social media.

Ps don't get me wrong I love social media however I don't actually believe 99% of whats on there

23. Likes Mouse, Greengrass74, PixiePetal liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever they want to charge is already a done deal. We will have no say in the matter and it will happen regardless. I do not want to pay this amount of money but we do not know if it is true. Best to wait until it is announced and if you then want to fight it at least you know what you are fighting against.

25. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mouse. Why panic until we have the facts.

However when we were first registered via Ofsted the idea was to start the Reg Fee very year at £25pa bearing in mind that this was 2.5 times what we had been paying Social Services for registration and PL insurance. I used to pay £10pa for both so going up to £25 was a big jump.

The £25 was then planned to increase gradually to approx £300pa which reflected the true cost of an inspection which is approx £900. Then NCMA as was stepped in and got Ofsted to stop this gradual increase and this is what we all still pay only £35pa. So had the original plan gone ahead we would all be paying around £300 a year anyway. I don't see a problem with this as Mouse said it is approx £25 per month and it would be an allowable Tax Expense anyway.

If I have to pay this to retain an individual inspection instead of being lumped on an Agency one then I will.

I actually don't think it helps anyone to put threads like this up when it is only guess work. I think it serves only to panic and confuse people especially people new to childminding and it isn't helpful.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea why the true cost of a 2 hour inspection is £900. Even if it then takes them the rest of the day to write up the report. Even taking training, travel, wages into account it can not possibly cost this amount.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I'm sure I read on a thread here linked to a newspaper or magazine article saying that Agencies could be charging £700 a year too! These figures are ridiculous - we all moan about paying Ofsted £35 a year and Morton Michel £44 a year and ICO £35 a year - no way would I pay £700 to an agency or Ofsted - I would want the agency to do all my paperwork including writing up observations for that kind of money and I would want Ofsted to be nice, helpful, positive and polite!
    No chance on either of those things!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast