Newsnight - Clegg won't sign off inc ratios
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Newsnight - Clegg won't sign off inc ratios

Did anyone see Newsnight?

At start of programme Grant Schapps (sp?) was interviewed and it was revealed that Clegg not happy about increased ratios and so won't sign them off. Lots of mention of CMs and spouting of Truss 'auto-speak'.

Still - Cleggy - didn't think he had it in him!

Post Thanks / Like

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fantastic if this really is the case, and not just spin.....

Remember the u-turn on student fees..?!

He also says he 'remains to be persuaded that this is the right thing to do for very young children. Or, crucially, to be persuaded that this would actually help families with high childcare costs' so still open to offers then lol. Just hope 'we're' not going to be used as a coalition bargaining tool : agree to this and we'll let one of your pet projects go ahead

In the words of wibble:

Kiddleywinks the cynic

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

BBC news just ran the story, they too are wondering if this is just a political statement or if he really believes it.

I hope that if her ideas are shelved they don't come up with another, worse, one!

5. Likes loocyloo, watgem liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MessybutHappy View Post
    BBC news just ran the story, they too are wondering if this is just a political statement or if he really believes it.

I hope that if her ideas are shelved they don't come up with another, worse, one!
    i just heard it on the radio news! i did whoop out loud! because that is the first admission in the 'public eye' that everyone in the childcare profession is opposed to the ratio increase!

i didn't think he had it in him either!

7. Likes watgem liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    Fantastic if this really is the case, and not just spin.....

Remember the u-turn on student fees..?!

He also says he 'remains to be persuaded that this is the right thing to do for very young children. Or, crucially, to be persuaded that this would actually help families with high childcare costs' so still open to offers then lol. Just hope 'we're' not going to be used as a coalition bargaining tool : agree to this and we'll let one of your pet projects go ahead

In the words of wibble:

Kiddleywinks the cynic
    FussyElmo the cynic too.

However I wonder which adviser has told him about the strength of feeling against mgc.

Time to bombard mr clegg with tweets letters etc if he wants to use it a vote winner who are we to pass up the opportunity.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

9. Likes loocyloo, Kiddleywinks, miss mopple, N/A liked this post
    Simona Guest

Default Nick Clegg to block ratio reforms...!!

11. Likes watgem liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

june 83
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

just heard it mentioned on the news, lets hope they all listen to him

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    FussyElmo the cynic too.

However I wonder which adviser has told him about the strength of feeling against mgc.

Time to bombard mr clegg with tweets letters etc if he wants to use it a vote winner who are we to pass up the opportunity.
    Stop the press. Hold the front page.

"Cameron's Presidential Poodle Refuses to Jump through Hoop."

Er, no............. the earth didn't move for me either.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Another cynic here I'm afraid.

The ratio issue is really just a small part in the whole of the MGC debate. What about agencies, no inspections for childminders, no minimum floor space requirements, 2yr olds in school etc etc. It's about so much more than ratios, but once again the whole emphasis is on that.

And why has he waited until now to say something? Childcare workers have been shouting out for months - has he only just heard about it? Why wait until it's almost a done deal?

So what happens now? They say "ok then, we won't change ratios". The childcare sector thinks they've won. Clegg sees it as a victory. Everyone is happy...

...until they realise that the other changes are going to have a much greater impact on us all

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Another cynic here I'm afraid.

The ratio issue is really just a small part in the whole of the MGC debate. What about agencies, no inspections for childminders, no minimum floor space requirements, 2yr olds in school etc etc. It's about so much more than ratios, but once again the whole emphasis is on that.

And why has he waited until now to say something? Childcare workers have been shouting out for months - has he only just heard about it? Why wait until it's almost a done deal?

So what happens now? They say "ok then, we won't change ratios". The childcare sector thinks they've won. Clegg sees it as a victory. Everyone is happy...

...until they realise that the other changes are going to have a much greater impact on us all
    i agree, although i'm pleased that FINALLY our opposition has trickled through to the powers that be i am not bothered about ratios!
    i am more concerned about the agencies, lack of inspections and minimum floor space.

17. Likes Mouse, Rubybubbles, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    i agree, although i'm pleased that FINALLY our opposition has trickled through to the powers that be i am not bothered about ratios!
    i am more concerned about the agencies, lack of inspections and minimum floor space.
    I agree. It's great that it's finally being talked about at a higher level and is at last making the news (although it doesn't even get a mention on the Sky News website). Hopefully this will lead to more information coming out about the whole MGC report.

Sadly I don't think agencies will ever be an important issue for anyone other than childminders. It doesn't have any impact on any other forms of childcare and isn't a political vote winner. I can see cms being the sacrificial lambs - they'll agree to drop the ratio changes as long as agencies go ahead

19. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I agree. It's great that it's finally being talked about at a higher level and is at last making the news (although it doesn't even get a mention on the Sky News website). Hopefully this will lead to more information coming out about the whole MGC report.

Sadly I don't think agencies will ever be an important issue for anyone other than childminders. It doesn't have any impact on any other forms of childcare and isn't a political vote winner. I can see cms being the sacrificial lambs - they'll agree to drop the ratio changes as long as agencies go ahead
    i don't want to press like, because i don't like! but i totally agree that we'll be the sacrificial lambs

21. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

Did you see the debate in Parliament this morning?

Ratios are getting the attention however they always forget that this forum also raised nearly 34,000 signatures and they deserve a mention...

Plans for ratio reform hit opposition from Clegg | Nursery World

We have to make agencies the next debate to come up

Simona Guest

A few snippets from the Parliament debate

BBC News - Childcare ratio plans 'in chaos', says Labour

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Listened to l b c been on all day about it. Clegg said he was not convinced it would make child care cheaper. Also has been talking to Cameron for ages about it. Still shocked he stood up to call me Dave about it. Truss babbling about ratios. Said Ireland had high quality child care. My niece was left with10-12 under 2because there wasn't enough workers. Also no observations or planning or other paperwork. Dutch system not working. Think I will go and bang my head against a wall.

Post Thanks / Like

I too am disappointed news is just about ratios SO FAR... but the door is now open very slightly and there may now be more scope for the other (more worrying) issues to be given some attention.

I'm going to churn out a few more emails/tweets/letters this weekend to Lib Dems.
    Couldn't see the point a few days ago, but now I can. There is hope, I think.

sept 93
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all the comments BUT still very very worried that there was no mention of agencies which I am most concerned about I can choose not to increase my numbers but would I be able to afford to stay independent

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SammySplodger View Post
    I too am disappointed news is just about ratios SO FAR... but the door is now open very slightly and there may now be more scope for the other (more worrying) issues to be given some attention.

I'm going to churn out a few more emails/tweets/letters this weekend to Lib Dems.
    Couldn't see the point a few days ago, but now I can. There is hope, I think.
    maybe we can contacts some labour mps too as they seem to want more info. making them aware how we feel about agencies etc may give them more clout to get the whole package out in the open and discussed properly

28. Likes watgem liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast