Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

hopefully this is just the stepping stone we need to get our opinions known on all of the matters, or maybe im just being naive?

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

It occurs to me that the ratio proposal was only ever a way of increasing childcare places without much cost (claims of x amount of extra childcare places available being used for vote winning come election time etc). There are other things that could be done such as removing local council planning restricitions which limit c/m's numbers in certain areas.
    As has been said, ratio's seem to be the headline grabbing issue of the day - but what would happen if agencies were introduced and (wait for it) nobody joined, or there was less take up that originally planned??? We don't have to join an agency, we could all be independent c/m's.
    I still agree in encouraging people in the profession whether you be a childminder, nursery worker or any other worker in self improvement - higher education, improvements in skills etc, but is still don't see how a higher qualified workforce = lower costs for parents.

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

When I worked as a professional before childminding, the more qualified I was, the more I was paid! I'd better stop my level three...I'll be overqualified and so even more unaffordable than the Truss sidekick says I am!

What about the comment thst childcare costs rise by six percent each year...does this mean I can increase my hourly rate by 6%...hardly when my parents are getting pay cuts not part rises!

5. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MessybutHappy View Post
    When I worked as a professional before childminding, the more qualified I was, the more I was paid! I'd better stop my level three...I'll be overqualified and so even more unaffordable than the Truss sidekick says I am!

What about the comment thst childcare costs rise by six percent each year...does this mean I can increase my hourly rate by 6%...hardly when my parents are getting pay cuts not part rises!
    Surveys show the average starting salary for a gradute in the UK stands at £29,000 in 2013. ANy CM out there wih a degree of any sort: are you making anything even close to this after tax, NI, expenses and making allowance for your lack of pension, sick pay, maternity leave, holiday pay .................................................. ............etc. .................................................. ............................?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Btw, I'd love to see how reliable the regime's statistics are on childcare costs. How are they calculated? Do they allow for Tax Credits support, childcare vouchers, free 15 hours, etc. ? Do they allow for unpaid non-attendances, holiday, etc. ? What, indeed, is an "average family"? Do they live in Solihull or Surbiton?

I suspect the whole of the statistical 'evidence' is fundamentally flawed.

Oh and could the recent interest HMRC are taking in so many parents' Tax Credits claim be evidence that most families are seriously over-estimating what their childcare costs add up to? In which case, they are presumably responding to surveys with inaccurate data.

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

No!!!!!! Not even if you knock off most of the noughts!!!

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

And I agree! My childcare costs as invoiced by the nursery made grim reading, but as you say, a big chunk was dealt with by tax credits, had I used a cm, I'd have saved more with perhaps four weeks with no costs, but HMRC only need to know if the change is lasting more than four...it all adds up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    Agree with all the comments BUT still very very worried that there was no mention of agencies which I am most concerned about I can choose not to increase my numbers but would I be able to afford to stay independent

If she can't increase ratios there is no way she'll be able to get agencies to work, it was hard enough seeing the figures work on 4 never mind 3

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Only just watched newsnight that I recorded from last night - I was disappointed with June - waffling on about the number of words that a 2 year old may hear depending on the social background of the family when she had a one to one with the presenter and had the opportunity to say far more (why didn't they ask our Sarah?). And poor old Sharon hardly got a look in with that other woman interrupting her every time she opened her mouth. It does sound as if Ratio's may be floundering - one down, agencies next!

Simona Guest

Radio and television interviews will never do justice to topics such as childcare when the time allocated is so short and the issues so complex and sudden and unexpected like this instance...which Sharon Hodgson was trying to say...

Both Perry and Hames were there to 'defend' the hopeless Truss and the hapless Clegg who has suddenly woken up to the fact he cannot trust Truss, Gove and Cameron to keep their promise to him about ratios???
    I want to see him come out on 1st June and put his money where his mouth is...

So this morning I am off to London to a conference to hear Sharon speak on childcare ....this time without that awful mouthy Claire Perry or the idiot Duncan Hames...
    Ed Miliband is also giving a key note speech with 'questions and answers' session afterwards....I intend to put just one word to him: CHILDCARE ..no more!

The more I dig the more I think this whole issue is turning into a farce...
    Yesterday I went to a meeting of childcare training providers and who should be there but James Hempsall....the man in charge of the 2 year old funding programme...the man trying to persuade the LAs to open it to all cms...so I told him a very long story about the LAs and their burying their head in the sand!!!

I couldn't believe my luck and let it all out...so thank you for all the feedback you have given me and he will be at the conference on 5 June with the DfE (3rd time I will have met the man) and Daycare Trust (3rd time I met him as well) discussing the very 2 year old funding!!! ...
    I shall tell them how the LAs are basically ignoring Truss to save their jobs!

and I have just booked myself on another conference on 23 June with Sharon Hodgson and Ofsted...

my theory is that actions speak louder than words...I thinks so much has been spoken and no one is listening...sorry I don't believe in Clegg's story...he is not listening he is saving his political life but he has done us a favour by coming out!!!

We need to come out on 1st June now...we need to be seen as well as heard??

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good news from my LA yesterday, which I knew was coming after talking to them a few weeks ago, the information below is what I received

The new Government guidelines will be compulsory from September 2013 and clearly state that Local Authorities should make decisions on whether to fund early education providers to deliver places solely on the basis of Ofsted inspection judgements. The Council has decided to follow the Government guidelines with immediate effect, therefore the criteria for providers to be included on the Directory is:

Existing childcare providers latest Ofsted judgement must be graded as ‘satisfactory’, ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’;
    Newly registered providers who are not yet Ofsted registered will be eligible to join the Directory, however their Ofsted inspection judgement will determine whether they are eligible to remain on the Directory. Providers can only remain on the Directory where their Ofsted judgement is graded as ‘Satisfactory’, ’Good’ or ‘Outstanding’

The Early Years & Childcare Service are actively encouraging childminders to join the Directory of Providers to;
    · give parents a choice of providers who can offer funded places
    · ensure there are sufficient places available for the 2 year olds who have a legal entitlement to a free early education place

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Simona, I forgot to say hope conference goes well. I am going to a conference today with Mary Barlow as keynote speaker

Feb 200
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear some clear decisions from LAs Smiley, my LA has said the same

Simona Guest

Good to hear Smiley...bring cms to the top as priority because everyone is concentrating on ratios and forgetting agencies and inclusion for cms and lots of other things

Good luck to you too!!
    I'll feedback later!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Good news from my LA yesterday, which I knew was coming after talking to them a few weeks ago, the information below is what I received

The new Government guidelines will be compulsory from September 2013 and clearly state that Local Authorities should make decisions on whether to fund early education providers to deliver places solely on the basis of Ofsted inspection judgements. The Council has decided to follow the Government guidelines with immediate effect, therefore the criteria for providers to be included on the Directory is:

Existing childcare providers latest Ofsted judgement must be graded as ‘satisfactory’, ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’;
    Newly registered providers who are not yet Ofsted registered will be eligible to join the Directory, however their Ofsted inspection judgement will determine whether they are eligible to remain on the Directory. Providers can only remain on the Directory where their Ofsted judgement is graded as ‘Satisfactory’, ’Good’ or ‘Outstanding’

The Early Years & Childcare Service are actively encouraging childminders to join the Directory of Providers to;
    · give parents a choice of providers who can offer funded places
    · ensure there are sufficient places available for the 2 year olds who have a legal entitlement to a free early education place
    Not sure what my LA is up to but they have told childminders here they still need to jump through their hoops if they want to offer a funded place from September (I have a friend currently going through the process with the aim of offering in September) - they are not agreeing with the Ofsted judgements as being suitable for September here....

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done Simona We all need to give the issues as much exposure as possible from the childminder viewpoint

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12