1st June day of action: call for the sector's day of action on Truss' reforms
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default 1st June day of action: call for the sector's day of action on Truss' reforms

I have also put this press release in the post: new campaign against More Great Childcare
    More updates will follow

Call for sector day of action on Truss reforms | Nursery World

Please send the link to parents, schools, other cms and your LA too...everyone you can think of !!!

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Will we be storming the Winter Palace, or just downing potties?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Will we be storming the Winter Palace, or just downing potties?
    I have read one plan is to have picnics - so my darling Bunyip shall we meet up for a picnic and perhaps have afternoon tea
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Simona Guest

I, like many others, feel your scepticism...this day of action won't make any difference and judging by the DfE response in the article 'the lady is not for turning'!!

What I feel this action may do is bring the proposals to the attention of those who have maybe ignored what is happening, maybe parents will realise the consequences of agencies and higher ratios, the fact that childcare is not going to be cheaper, in fact I doubt it is the 'main' policy for any of the parties but a personal crusade for a very misinformed minister
    How many parents are really aware of what is happening???

Maybe those cms who continue to sleepwalk and are not ready for September may get a wake up call now...and there are many!!!

So while we do not feel anything will change...but who can say miracles do not happen?.... can we ignore this last stand?
    In the end agencies are not compulsory, ratios are not compulsory, Level 3 are not either but the 2 year old funding is a reality and without cms I doubt it will succeed

so we can decide what is best for our settings but childcare will not be the same ever again if Truss gets her way...if anything a picnic is a good way to network and no children to worry about or potties to cart around!!
    Join in if you can

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I have read one plan is to have picnics - so my darling Bunyip shall we meet up for a picnic and perhaps have afternoon tea
    Your place or mine?

Shall I bring the Molotov cocktails or just a cheap bottle of Lambrini?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Your place or mine?

Shall I bring the Molotov cocktails or just a cheap bottle of Lambrini?
    Cocktails darling
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I, like many others, feel your scepticism...this day of action won't make any difference and judging by the DfE response in the article 'the lady is not for turning'!!

What I feel this action may do is bring the proposals to the attention of those who have maybe ignored what is happening, maybe parents will realise the consequences of agencies and higher ratios, the fact that childcare is not going to be cheaper, in fact I doubt it is the 'main' policy for any of the parties but a personal crusade for a very misinformed minister
    How many parents are really aware of what is happening???

Maybe those cms who continue to sleepwalk and are not ready for September may get a wake up call now...and there are many!!!

So while we do not feel anything will change...but who can say miracles do not happen?.... can we ignore this last stand?
    In the end agencies are not compulsory, ratios are not compulsory, Level 3 are not either but the 2 year old funding is a reality and without cms I doubt it will succeed

so we can decide what is best for our settings but childcare will not be the same ever again if Truss gets her way...if anything a picnic is a good way to network and no children to worry about or potties to cart around!!
    Join in if you can
    All joking aside I do get the need for something to bring the matter to the attention of everybody. Its just the 1st of June is not that far away and is there actually any plan sets in stone. Also that is half term week so factor in people taking holidays. As it is at the min unless you are a member of twitter or read nursery world you will not know about this day. Apart from forums like this and other places and Junes blogs (is it June having a mind blank moment) only has 94 comments on it. Really need thosuands to make the people who matter to take notice

Simona Guest

FussyElmo
    I became aware of the campaign as I subscribe to June's blog and shared the news here and in my Focus Group...her call to the campaign was launched only two weeks ago

Those on twitter starting giving ideas for the campaign last Tuesday during the session we share @EYTalking...banners were suggested and slogans for them also someone suggested a flyer. I suggested something we could print ourselves and give to parents etc etc.
    As soon as the flyer is available I will post it here

The idea of the campaign has developed in 'simultaneous' picnics in all areas...I assume this is easier than arranging a march or a gathering in one place

The updates are on Facebook and LinkedIn...I am on neither so have contacted June to ask for them to be put where they are accessible to all
    The result is that lots of the updates go on Twitter now

You are right there are only 94 comments but they include:
    Pacey with its 37,000 members
    Sarah has pledged the forum support with over 20,000 members
    PLA is in too...members number not sure?
    UKCMA ..not sure of their member number either
    Mumsnet is also supporting and many more
    Kids Academy is supporting as well

All in all we could be talking a great number
    I have emailed everyone I know the NWorld article, including my LA...we can all do that and spread the word
    Yes it is the half term and people may be away but cms and nurseries are still working

June was supposed to join @EYtalking this Tuesday which is all to do with the campaign but she cannot do so but is tweeting all the time that plans are taking shape

I follow her on Twitter and subscribe to her blog
    I will continue to put updates here as I hear about them...so don't worry if you are not on Twitter but do give me feedback/ideas so I can tweet them on Tuesday night

As we will not be in charge of any children I feel we could have cocktails, wine or such like...a Pimms or two??? why not champagne??
    maybe a glass or two may give us the courage to speak up and shout a bit louder as consultation upon consultation simply waste our precious time and get binned by the DfE and Ofsted!
    Last edited by Simona; 06-05-2013 at 12:12 PM.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh maybe its me but its just the closeness of the date and no actual confirmation of what is actually happening. Im sure Im not the only one who plans weekends in advance. I know that's the weekend before dh goes away with work so we have made plans. Plans Im not sure Im willing to break. I bet Im not the only one.

I also do realise how defeatist Im being

Simona Guest

Many will be in the same situation and not able to participate but you can spread the word
    The time limit is short I agree and I am sure we will hear more this week and do our best!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Oh maybe its me but its just the closeness of the date and no actual confirmation of what is actually happening. Im sure Im not the only one who plans weekends in advance. I know that's the weekend before dh goes away with work so we have made plans. Plans Im not sure Im willing to break. I bet Im not the only one.

I also do realise how defeatist Im being
    not defeatist honey. I will admit I don't see how having round the country picnics will help rally others to the cause or make Truss sit up and make notice. Us all getting together in one place - now that will do the trick - can we find out where she lives
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got