Will agencies make childcare cheaper?? First hint at cost of agency fees
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default Will agencies make childcare cheaper?? First hint at cost of agency fees

Childcare Champions have analysed the DfE Agency Statement of policy and rightly say the charges agency cms will have to pay will not lower the cost of childcare
    They also hint that the agency fee may be in the region of £700-£900

Will this make childcare cheaper while maintaining quality? | Childcare Champions

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

will have a read of that later. I don't see how it will make independent childminders cheaper. If we stay independent but have to pay increased ofsted and insurance fees, can only source training privately rather than any LA subsidised courses of course we will put up prices. On the other hand, agency childminders will have their fees set and be cheaper.

So ultimately, with a few exceptions, where will parents go????
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

3. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all a total mess! Maybe the parents will kick up a fuss. But somehow the government will blame us!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The fight has all gone out of me - just want to cry - why is the government not listening to common sense on this?

Simona Guest

Wipe your tears hectors house and get back into fighting!!!

The figures are 'suggested' so we cannot think it may be exact, I expected that much, but this is the best news in our favour in my view...someone thinking of becoming a cm might actually think twice if she has to pay that amount when starting a new business?
    will a parent go to an agency knowing her 'matched' cm will have such huge expenses to pay?
    can parents rely on that cm being properly supported and maintain high quality?

So many unanswered questions, the more I read the Statement of policy the more holes I find in it
    If I were a new parent I would reflect twice over the choice of a cm in an untried and untested agency versus an independent Ofsted registered cm with an individual inspection, accountable and experienced?

Until we know what our registration/inspection fee will be we cannot compare...after that follows our business planning: how to remain sustainable and how to advertise our 'independent status

Then comes where we find training and support (so many are already offering to provide that...at a cost I am sure...meeting a few soon) and finally the LAs as they will still have the 'power' to offer support if we require it ...maybe at a cost too...look at the consultation on the changing role and make sure you stress that is what you want the LAs to do

Contact them, get them to meet with cms, discuss all this...some are already thinking ahead others are not

Our comments will feedback to the task and finish group I am sure but I doubt running an agency could ever have been the 'ideal solution' to lower costs that Truss has tried to sell so badly in MGC ...it is all to do with Ofsted getting rid of cms to save pots of money....if the agencies somehow do not work they will have to rely on independent cms to carry on...maybe the reason they are at pain to stress agencies are not compulsory?? cynical of me I am sure
    Last edited by Simona; 16-04-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would rather pay this to Ofsted to have an independent inspection.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Wipe your tears hectors house and get back into fighting!!!

The figures are 'suggested' so we cannot think it may be exact, I expected that much, but this is the best news in our favour in my view...someone thinking of becoming a cm might actually think twice if she has to pay that amount when starting a new business?
    will a parent go to an agency knowing her 'matched' cm will have such huge expenses to pay?
    can parents rely on that cm being properly supported and maintain high quality?

So many unanswered questions, the more I read the Statement of policy the more holes I find in it
    If I were a new parent I would reflect twice over the choice of a cm in an untried and untested agency versus an independent Ofsted registered cm with an individual inspection, accountable and experienced?

Until we know what our registration/inspection fee will be we cannot compare...after that follows our business planning: how to remain sustainable and how to advertise our 'independent status

Then comes where we find training and support (so many are already offering to provide that...at a cost I am sure...meeting a few soon) and finally the LAs as they will still have the 'power' to offer support if we require it ...maybe at a cost too...look at the consultation on the changing role and make sure you stress that is what you want the LAs to do

Contact them, get them to meet with cms, discuss all this...some are already thinking ahead others are not

Our comments will feedback to the task and finish group I am sure but I doubt running an agency could ever have been the 'ideal solution' to lower costs that Truss has tried to sell so badly in MGC ...it is all to do with Ofsted getting rid of cms to save pots of money....if the agencies somehow do not work they will have to rely on independent cms to carry on...maybe the reason they are at pain to stress agencies are not compulsory?? cynical of me I am sure
    The cynical side of me sais.....

Maybe this is the governments plan - say you want to start up agencies, not put any money into them, know they will fail.. and in the meantime save themselves loads of money by getting rid of all LA support... raise fees for independent childminders to be inspected by Ofsted knowing they wont complain.....now thats a cynical option I guess.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I would rather pay this to Ofsted to have an independent inspection.
    Yes - 100% with you there - and it makes previous (unconfirmed) 'guesstimates' of £1,000 - £1,200 per Ofsted inspection look like a bargain in comparison.

Simona Guest

I have also seen the figure of £700 for cms and £1,100 for nurseries....that would surprise me as Wilshaw said cms were too expensive to inspect compared to nurseries so why would they pay more??? on the other hand nothing would surprise me anymore in this saga!!!

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I have also seen the figure of £700 for cms and £1,100 for nurseries....that would surprise me as Wilshaw said cms were too expensive to inspect compared to nurseries so why would they pay more??? on the other hand nothing would surprise me anymore in this saga!!!
    Too expensive per child. A nursery with fifty children on roll is only a little more costly to inspect than a cm with five. The costs are disproportionate
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.