Independent Childminders Social Enterprise
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  110
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    justgoodfriends Guest

Default Independent Childminders Social Enterprise

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting - wonder how much it will cost and if it will be worth it...

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is that not an agency but saying childminders will be independent?

Or am I just cynical
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Think it's an agency type set up for parents, but a trade association type set up for childminders....

I'm in two minds at the moment.
    The government I feel are going to go down the agency route, regardless of any protests, because it saves them money - cutting LA funding.
    Getting the kind of LA support that we currently access, training etc, IS going to be difficult as a result, so how are any of us going to be able to access the support we need to maintain our registered status at a reasonable cost without some kind of 'group' support to share the costs?

To remain independent to me means running my business myself, how I see fit, and to be graded on my own merits.
    However, if the government target parents to only choose 'agency' minders then we are going to need some form of independent 'agency' for parents to go to. (Lord it all sounds very confusing putting it down in a written word lol) The traditional way of getting mindees may not be an option in 2 years time

We don't have childminder specific trade association anymore (NCMA are now PACEY and are including other care workers)
    UKCMA? Well, still waiting for that one despite the hype almost a year ago
    PLA, again, aren't CM specific

We're working blind at the moment and I'm hating the fact that one way or another we're going to be pushed into doing some kind of agency type association

5. Likes watgem liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post

Or am I just cynical
    That was my thought. I read it and thought "isn't this an agency?"

I'll wait to hear more, but to be honest I didn't really understand what it was

7. Likes caz3007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see it as an agency. Have signed up for more info, keeping an open mind and trying to stay positive. The website is a bit rubbish, not enough info. It all depends on how much money to join and what you will get for it.

I'm hoping it might be a 'replacement' for the NCMA/PACEY - more specific to Independent CMs. But if it's significantly more than the NCMA I will be put off joining.

But it might be very useful to have a national organisation advertising a(nother) database of Independent CMs to (confused?) Parents.

Like I said... keeping an open mind...

9. Likes loocyloo, watgem liked this post
    Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    Think it's an agency type set up for parents, but a trade association type set up for childminders....

I'm in two minds at the moment.
    The government I feel are going to go down the agency route, regardless of any protests, because it saves them money - cutting LA funding.
    Getting the kind of LA support that we currently access, training etc, IS going to be difficult as a result, so how are any of us going to be able to access the support we need to maintain our registered status at a reasonable cost without some kind of 'group' support to share the costs?

To remain independent to me means running my business myself, how I see fit, and to be graded on my own merits.
    However, if the government target parents to only choose 'agency' minders then we are going to need some form of independent 'agency' for parents to go to. (Lord it all sounds very confusing putting it down in a written word lol) The traditional way of getting mindees may not be an option in 2 years time

We don't have childminder specific trade association anymore (NCMA are now PACEY and are including other care workers)
    UKCMA? Well, still waiting for that one despite the hype almost a year ago
    PLA, again, aren't CM specific

We're working blind at the moment and I'm hating the fact that one way or another we're going to be pushed into doing some kind of agency type association
    Kiddlywinks, you've really opened my eyes to the agency thing. I think your absolutely right, we need to be ready for change and be able to adapt. At the minute I have families who have been with me for a few years but kids do grow up! My LA has cut valuable resources for childminders already and we really do feel like we're on our own. Im trying to keep an open mind about things.
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

11. Likes rickysmiths, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SammySplodger View Post
    I didn't see it as an agency. Have signed up for more info, keeping an open mind and trying to stay positive. The website is a bit rubbish, not enough info. It all depends on how much money to join and what you will get for it.

I'm hoping it might be a 'replacement' for the NCMA/PACEY - more specific to Independent CMs. But if it's significantly more than the NCMA I will be put off joining.

But it might be very useful to have a national organisation advertising a(nother) database of Independent CMs to (confused?) Parents.

Like I said... keeping an open mind...

I see it maybe not as an agency as the government plans, but a business set up to reap the financial benefits of an agency without the responsibility of being accountable for results.

An agency under government plans will register new childminders, put parents in touch with childminders, arrange training, help with paperwork, arrange insurance, offer support etc. This new company seems to be offering the same. The big difference is a childminding agency will be inspected, whereas with this company you will remain self employed, so freeing themselves of that burden. With both there will be a cost to childminders and parents.

Maybe it's a good thing. Maybe we'll be able to access all the "benefits" of an agency without actually having to be part of an official one.

But I will try to keep an open mind and see where it all leads

13. Likes loocyloo, hectors house, watgem liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly Mouse!

I have always suspected there will be bigger 'benefits' for parents finding CMs via agencies, which we won't be able to access. We can't just assume that future Parents will come to us like they have in the past.

The result being that CMs will be gradually whittled away. Some might (reluctantly) join Agencies because it's the only way they can sustain their businesses and some will just give up and pack it in... :-(

Maybe this is a way round it?

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

If this is the case then maybe networks of childminders can get together and set up an agency?

Everyone then gets the support but could remain se?

Oooo I feel a potential business opportunity coming on!!!!! Lol

16. Likes mum24 liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

It says it's set up by childminders...so who are you? I find it odd that there are no names...very much the corporate body. Also, I'm not convinced by the website, it's badly written something which really bugs me!
    So, will be watching and waiting!

18. Likes FussyElmo, rickysmiths, mum24 liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our members will be able to be matched to parents in two significant ways with the local childminder in future.
    •**** community playgroup formed by our members
    •Website matching service for all TBA

Parents looking for a childminder will be invited along to ‘meet the childminder’ sessions of our community playgroups to see local childminders at work

Cant wait to see how they manage this - our early years team cannot please all the settings across our local authority

And the most important question agency or no agency how much do they want and easy will it be to start an agency up of childminders once they have cms and parents paying to use the system - still in a very cynical mood and refusing to be open minded on this miserable saturday with its rain, 2 hours of dancing and 2 hours of a childrens birthday party. Roll on the rugby COME ON ENGLAND
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MessybutHappy View Post
    It says it's set up by childminders...so who are you? I find it odd that there are no names...very much the corporate body. Also, I'm not convinced by the website, it's badly written something which really bugs me!
    The names are under the 'contact' me section.

I thought I'd read on there who they were (as in what they did before) but I can't find it now. Perhaps that was on the NurseryWorld article about it. He used to work for NCMA and I have seen her name pop up along my travels around the Internet. I think she is, or was, a childminder.

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MessybutHappy View Post
    The nursery world magazine article names them, can't link as on my phone but it was a childminder and an ex ncma guy

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, thank you...I couldn't see anything last night, I'll have another look later!

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

New childminding trade association set up | Nursery World

Stuart Turner - previously a director of professional standards for the NCMA
    Bea Heath - a childminder

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew I recognised her name, she set up one of the FB groups. She was rather condescending when I posted on there, so that put me off her straight away

25. Likes christine e liked this post
    jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

well...i just thought i would start the sign up process to see if i could find out more info .i tried to submit and it says i'm already a registered user !!!! the only thing i can think of is that its the same lot who do ******************.i'm sure ive not signed up for anything else ....weird ..and confusing

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    The names are under the 'contact' me section.

I thought I'd read on there who they were (as in what they did before) but I can't find it now. Perhaps that was on the NurseryWorld article about it. He used to work for NCMA and I have seen her name pop up along my travels around the Internet. I think she is, or was, a childminder.
    I have also seen Bea's name pop up on FB, I am sure I joined a group back when all this reared its ugly head a year or so ago and she was admin on said group. I cant find it in my groups now, so must have deleted myself

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post

Or am I just cynical
    You know, one day they're going to catch up with you for this sort of thoughtcrime Fussy.

Repeat after me "War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength".

Doubleplusgood - that's more like it.

29. Likes rickysmiths, mum24, Goatgirl liked this post

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast