Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    After todays announcement by Truss that the help for childcare costs will kick in 2015 I think we need to realise there is a need to move on
    We are not being listened to so we need some action, I truly believe Truss thinks we are dim and by doing nothing she will win
    Absolutely agree with you there, and Bunyip's comment: She can divide and rule with hardly any effort made on her part at all

United we stand, divided we fall, and divided sadly is how things are feeling to me at the moment.
    That's no great surprise I'm sure to many, with all the drip feeding and uncertainty around, we're all trying to 'save our businesses' in whatever way we can see future viablity, and this is where we're being/going to get divided.
    I'm sure the majority of us feel that agencies are a fait accompli, and the uncertainty for getting work in the future is scaring the pants out of me!

There's a saying that has served me well in the past but that I am struggling with right now:
    If in doubt, don't.

We need to stand together on remaining independent, but without a firm support network/association how on earth are we going to manage it?

Is ICSE the answer? I don't know.
    Is it better than standing alone? I don't know that either.
    Is my business going to still be here in 3 years time AND still be independent? Answers on a postcard please

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Simona

Yes - I like a bit of action!

I also wonder if we need to start sharing a clear guide to 'staying independent'. Many folks out there are (rightly) confused and could be forgiven for sheep-like behaviour.

I'm thinking a basic guide to how an Independent CM will operate once Truss gets her (evil) way:
    So you want to stay Independent?
    Under the (new) rules here is how,
    Statement - ie: you don't need to rush to join orgs or decide (re: Agency / ICE-SE),
    Training Sources,
    Ofsted inspection (cost etc),
    Setting up a local group of Indy CMs,
    Marketing,
    etc

I know that this info will probably appear on several fora over the coming months, but reading threads can be very time consuming.

Can provide links to other fora for people to read if they wish. But overall aim to de-mistify staying Independent once LAs have been completely vapourised.

Dare I say it: do we need (another) website?

4. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

We need to concentrate on remaining independent and getting clarification from the DfE on that and also contacting LAs to see what they think

When we know we can get on with no barriers or unfair competition we can let the associations fight for our custom...there is no pressure to join anyone right now...but there is pressure to act rather than just being cross

6. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

SammySplodger...tried to send you direct message but inbox is full

Post Thanks / Like

I am offering to fund and set up a simple/basic website with Indy CM info on, provided I have help from various others (ie: you lot!) with the research / text.

My 'other job' is this: www ESCIS org uk
    written as above to avoid the starry out thing

???????

Hand on heart, absolutely no 'business interests' here, other than keeping my Childminding business intact / sustainable. And outwitting Truss! :-)

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Simona - My email is on second page of my Twitter profile!

Simona Guest

There is one already..just like you say no business inetrest just cms at its centre

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

Can't do sorry can you DM me please

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

After todays announcement by Truss that the help for childcare costs will kick in 2015 I think we need to realise there is a need to move on
    We are not being listened to so we need some action, I truly believe Truss thinks we are dim and by doing nothing she will win

We've had our moan and a little cynicism......what next? off to write again to NCMA and more
    Back later
    Of course she thinks we are dim that's why she thinks higher qualified staff are needed. Bet she couldn't do our jobs and please parents too

justgoodfriends Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SammySplodger View Post
    Oooo but doesn't the UKCMA new website have the loveliest shade of olive green? I might join just for that... soothing greeneyness.... Mmmm

No - as stated before - I will join the first one to offer a free gift of Truss doll with 20% extra pins.
    Here's a voodoo doll picture I found online... remind you of anyone?!

voodoodoll.jpg

Simona Guest

Two things to ponder today
    The tax free childcare announcement...does anyone think it has got to be linked to agencies 'administering' these c/vouchers online?
    If the do what do they pass on to cms? do they they a cut? how much? and why should agencies do this when claiming c/vs is one of the simplest things? a bit of our independence taken away I feel?

One thing not mentioned by ******* is whether those cms who join will retain their 'individual inspection'?? or will ******* be registered with Ofsted?

Post Thanks / Like

The tax free childcare announcement...does anyone think it has got to be linked to agencies 'administering' these c/vouchers online?
    If the do what do they pass on to cms? do they they a cut? how much? and why should agencies do this when claiming c/vs is one of the simplest things? a bit of our independence taken away I feel?

One thing not mentioned by ******* is whether those cms who join will retain their 'individual inspection'?? or will ******* be registered with Ofsted?
    Yes - the first point I have long suspected / feared. This could be the crucial thing that makes Independence unsustainable (I hope I am wrong though).

Your second point I had not picked up on yet at all. Their website is changing so rapidly it's hard to keep track of the info. If you are reading this *******, please can you let us know in your next update? Thanks.

justgoodfriends Guest

I noticed that too - it makes you wonder whether they know/think that remaining individually inspected is not going to be a viable option as they believe the government are planning to make it very difficult to remain independent. Their website certainly raises more questions than it answers and is 'jumping the gun' imo.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it will be particularly easy to stay independent, but surely it won't be impossible either?!

I would much rather put in the effort to suss things out for myself first, before having to resort to 'joining up'.

I really don't like the sense of urgency that these organisations are currently creating :-/

What will happen if we don't join anything?
    Why do they need to round us up?
    Why am I feeling (even more) paranoid?

20. Likes loocyloo, mum26 liked this post
    Simona Guest

SammySplodger
    At the moment there is no evidence at all it will be 'difficult' to remain indpendent so it is better not to speculate and frighten other cms unless you have seen evidence that it won't 'be particularly easy to stay so' as you state?...it is the DfE that needs to be fair now and engage with the cms who need clarification ?

The message of the Focus Group remains the same: seek clarification and make sure there are no barriers or unfair competition in our way
    I can imagine the website is changing daily as they will be responding to questions put to them and that is fair otherwise people may join not fully aware...and no one has to 'resort' to joining up as you say..it is not compulsory or necessary right now??

Yes the say 'pre-register now to jump ahead of the queue'?...a bit confusing yes?
    Whay happens if you don't join anything...nothing will happen until we get clarificationt...you are confusing every one and you say so yourself you are getting paranoid...please relax no one is rounding 'us up'

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

SammySplodger
    At the moment there is no evidence at all it will be 'difficult' to remain indpendent so it is better not to speculate and frighten other cms unless you have seen evidence that it won't 'be particularly easy to stay so' as you state?...it is the DfE that needs to be fair now and engage with the cms who need clarification ?
    '
    The reason why there is no evidence is only that there is so little critical detail published, leaked or even drip-fed about a policy whose effect on CMs will depend very much on the detail. This is, at the very least, cause for extreme suspicion. If the detail was good news, don't you think the regime would be shouting it from the hilltops? Or do you think they're so disorganised that they've not yet thought beyond the broad privnciples? The truth is that, as so often, the Devil will be in the detail, so the detail will only be made known when the implementaion of the proposals has become a fait accompli, and it's too late to change anything.

Do you really believe Truss was going to say, "here are my proposals and, by the way, here's a list of all th bits that are going to be unpopular - just so you've got some amunition to fire at me." ????? Get real.

23. Likes N/A liked this post
    aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont see why it wont be easy or at least possible to stay independant

surely it wont take any more effort than we have been forced to make to adjust to all the changes they have thrown at us over the years

I wont be rushing to join anybody , Ive managed this long not to join anybody , not even the ncma , and yes I know that the support of the LAs is being taken away , in my case NCA Northampton , but apart from a little bit of support before my first inspection I dont even have much to do with them since my registration

As long as we can access safeguarding and First aid courses (which of course we can ) and as long as parents can use the financial benefits (vouchers, tax relief, childcare tax credit ) to use my services and OFSTED still inspects me as an individual then Im sure everything will be fine, am I being naive ? perhaps but Id rather be that way than panicking about what might happen and scaremongering others

Yes it may be tougher to convince parents to use me as an independent minder , as opposed to going through an agency which offers the moon on a stick to them , but Im sure that I am smart enough to find ways of attracting parents to my business

- the promise of lower ratios
    - a unique selling point (havnt figured that out yet )
    - the fact Im working with them and caring for their child because I chose to and not because an agency told me to
    - flexible contracts to suit individual families circumstances

any barriers put in our way will cause uproar because we have specifically been promised that there will be none, yes I know the government often go back on their promises , but its a fight we can fight , providing we all stick together and dont all rush to sign up to the first website that promises to help us stay independent, when I think Im capable of doing that on my own

whats the rush ?

25. Likes hectors house, loocyloo, mum26 liked this post
    Simona Guest

I agree with Phoenix2010...there is no rush
    I am being very real and feel that we need to know what the terms are for us now not when it suits the DfE...it is just a matter of respect and curtesy then we know where we stand and get on avoiding all this stress
    I need to plan now not later and wonder why we will be involved in discussions later...we need by then as all will be agreed

Any details should be officially announced by the DfE not as stated drip fed then we can have a meaningful engagement

27. Likes mum26 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there is a whole host of reasons why independence is likely to become difficult - at the very least more costly than it is now. Even without the details of the Tory proposals, it hardly takes a quantum leap of logic to see a few things on the horizon.

Increased numbers and the removal of space requirements could well generate 'mega-nurseries' able to dominate local childcare markets.

Big nurseries and agencies will benefit from economies of scale to keep their running costs down, and be able to achieve market-saturation levels of advertising. OK, some parents will still look for quality and word-of-mouth recommendations. Many more will take the easy route to nurseries/agencies cos they're far easier to find. Many parents will see the benefit in an agency which can readily provide cover when an individual carer is sick or on holiday.

We already have a village school which refers all childcare enquiries to the combined nursery/after-school-club in the next town. It would rather deal with 1 big setting than several CMs. How much more will this be the case when they can deal with agencies instead of lots of independent CMs? (or even be running the agency themselves? or taking in 2yo's themsleves with the teaching places paid for by government?)

Government and national organisations would far rather deal with a few 100 agencies than tens of 1000s of independent CMs. We already know that Ofsted was never equipped or prepared to inspect and regulate the huge number of CMs. How soon before all the funding, schemes, tax credits, etc. are routed through agencies because it will be a hugely more efficient use of public money that administrating payments to 50,000+ individual CMs?

How long will cash-strapped LAs continue to offer free/cheap training when they are no longer required to? Whitehall appears to want to cut LAs out of the equation. Why on Earth would LAs choose to bear the expense when they no longer have to? Agencies will offer training to their own members, and may just let independent CMs access training - but on what terms? Preferential "mates rates" for members and high charges for independents, of course.

These are just a few. It won't take a genius to see other problems looming.

To say "why won't it still be easy to be independent?" is rather like jumping out of an aircraft with no parachute and, on the way down, saying, "well...so far, so good."

29. Likes hectors house, N/A liked this post
    Simona Guest

I totally see your points and have already asked them myself and a thousands more.
    I will say it again that if we had clear indication of how to remain independent, what it entails then we would be able to make an educated choice
    The last thing we want is cms joining associations they do not need to or leave the profession

Remaining independent carries a cost as it does joining an agency...up to us how we want to spend that money?

The DfE has clearly stated agencies are not being introduced to 'take business away from existing, successful cm' at least that is in the letter I received and seems exactly what Truss told me when I met her last August and discussed agencies with her as this idea was in her mind
    we want that clear to all cms not just the few who are getting replies as we have no representing associations sitting at that table, listening and arguing for us
    How many cms are writing letter after letter to all sorts of people to get answers?.....few I fear and discussions on social media is bound to fuel speculation further

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast