Independent Childminders Social Enterprise
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  110
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wish we could be given clear facts in reasonably simple language so that there are no misunderstandings and we all know what is on offer. That just seems to hard for this Government though!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum26 View Post
    I just wish we could be given clear facts in reasonably simple language so that there are no misunderstandings and we all know what is on offer. That just seems to hard for this Government though!
    The only time governments are straight with you is when they're shooting at you.

3. Likes mum26, Bicky, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I have 13 days to decide about my ncma membership and its not easy knowing which way to go. Do i stick with ncma or try an untested group mmmm
    Do you have to join any group ? Im not with NCMA or anyone else and as far as im aware its not compulsory

I just have my insurance with MM and thats it

Post Thanks / Like

Bicky -

My advice for a new (unregistered) CM would be to get registered asap, do all the training you can via your LA and sort out insurance with one of the ESTABLISHED organisations: Morton Michel or NCMA / PACEY (the new website & name change have now happened) and then watch this (and other) fora for further developments.

Do not rush into making any major decisions re: Agencies / organisations which appear to be 'palatable' Agencies. Let the dust settle and see how the land lies. I think we are in for a bumpy ride between now and 2014. But 'the truth will out'...

Personally I will stay (properly) Independent for as long as I can. But may be forced to Plan B (see other postings in this thread) if my business becomes unsustainable.

I'm sure others can offer advice or correct me if this is bad advice.... :-)

And yes, of course it's the Governments fault. Wish they would just leave us all alone!

6. Likes Bicky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

bunyip -

I think you are spot on there...
    I have had 12 hours to mull this one over, do some further research and have U-Turned!!!

I am definitely now 'sitting on the sidelines' watching and seeing how ******* pans out. I am in no rush to actually join, but will read updates about them with interest.

Post Thanks / Like

FussyElmo - You don't have to join any - it's just the insurance issue. Better the devil you know though ;-) I'd stick with either MM or PACEY.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I am the only one who finds it disturbing that "we" are being "represented" in high-level Dept for Education discussions on the future of our industry (or "profession" if you prefer) by an organisation (*******) that currently has a membership of zero; that no-one is at all clear about what they stand for; and that none of us had even heard of this time last week?

Do they realise they are offering the Tory regime the perfect opportunity to do precisely what it wants? If ******* agree with Truss, she can gleefully announce that a trade association for childcarers backs the plans. If they disagree with her, she'll simply write them off as unrepresentative (and let's face it, they ain't representing anyone but themselves right now.)

At this stage, they can either be a nodding donkey or a lame duck - no more, no less.
    No I totally agree with you - read previous posts. A group who has no members is representing us well I guess if they take it to a vote it will be easy to count
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bunyip's point:

Should this be fed through to those MPs who support us? Bit concerned at how this might look in Parliament... Surely they have to have a significant membership in order to claim they actually represent CMs? Hmmmm

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

After all this time I've finally worked out the difference between a trade union and a trade association.

A trade union is an organisation which receives universal criticism for employing a block vote which reflects the size of its membership.

Whereas a trade association is an organisation which receives acceptance at the highest level of government for agreeing with a minister when it has no membership whatsoever.

(How could I never have understood before? )

12. Likes dette, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SammySplodger View Post
    I have just 'turned over' to Facebook to see an update the the UKCMA are launching membership on 25 March! Just to confuse matters even further! Aaaaaarrrggghh!
    :-)
    Very coincidental timing

Of course if all these new groups keep appearing it could be very good for childminders. Are they all going to be fighting for our custom?

14. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Very coincidental timing

Of course if all these new groups keep appearing it could be very good for childminders. Are they all going to be fighting for our custom?
    Oooh the little bit of me who gets excited about sale signs is whispering price war, price war, price war
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

16. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Oooh the little bit of me who gets excited about sale signs is whispering price war, price war, price war
    I'm thinking free gifts to entice us in

18. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The only gift I want from them is some honesty and transparency :-/

20. Likes loocyloo, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The only gift I want from them is some honesty and transparency :-/
    But a Truss doll and a set of pins might do :-)

22. Likes Mouse, loocyloo, Bridey, SYLVIA, ChocolateChip liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Um, is this an open forum? And if so, can "they" be asked to respond to this thread? (She says hesitantly ' cos she's not sure she should be asking, but has wanted to for ages!!!)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MessybutHappy View Post
    Um, is this an open forum? And if so, can "they" be asked to respond to this thread? (She says hesitantly ' cos she's not sure she should be asking, but has wanted to for ages!!!)
    I am not sure what you are asking Messy...

Anyone can come on here and reply to threads as long as they mean the forum no harm.

If a company wants to advertise on here then there are rules - there always have been - but Richard will be able to deal with all that if they approach him first.

If you don't want to ask something on open forum you can always send me a pm and I will be honest in my reply and check if I am not sure about something

Post Thanks / Like

'They' are already looking at social media and various fora... If you read the opening comments on the FAQs. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

'They' are already looking at social media and various fora... If you read the opening comments on the FAQs. :-)
    Here is the link again:
    http://www.****************/faq/
    But I have just noticed they have changed the text at the top. Previous text showed they were aware they were being hotly debated. Wonder why they edited it out?!

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi sarah, I only meant "open" as in, anyone who's a searching the forum even not logged in, can read the posts, and so perhaps the founders of the association could post here in response to the queries made?

PS thank you, I know you'd help out, you already have, often!

Simona Guest

Well we knew that we would eventually have 3 'representing' associations
    In addition there is a new one emerging we are all unsure of the agenda...(3 days and all will be revealed)

All competing for our custom, 56,000 sitting targets precisely!
    I wonder what would happen if all cms gave up their membership and get a straight insurance from somewhere else...since none of them are really saying very much and letting this agecy thing slip in
    What gets me the most is that, as NCMA has not felt like helping to develop the agencies, we are being represented by an association with not one single member!
    Am I the only one feeling insulted and getting rather cross?
    I would bet all LAs and cminding associations know something (mine do)...PLA and NCMA know of ******* and keeping quiet...something tells me they don't deserve our custom if at this time of need they fail us...sorry had to get that off my chest!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast