Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    New childminding trade association set up | Nursery World

Stuart Turner - previously a director of professional standards for the NCMA
    Bea Heath - a childminder
    Thank you! I'll have a look later!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Bea Heath has written this for Richmond Childminding Association

no to deregulation

Having read this website I wonder who they are going to get to set up these childminding groups and where? I personally don't think it is right to let random parents wander in and out of a Childminding Group and if you are working how can you properly talk to a prospective parent?

We have 'Meet the Childminder' evenings at our local Children's Centre which work very well.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 16-03-2013 at 02:09 PM.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

there are 2 childminders in my town, 3 in one town 7 miles away, and another couple in a town 7 miles in the opposite direction, plus odd random childminders scattered aroudn the countryside ... we can't even co-ordinate ourselves to all be in the same place at the same time, so it would never work for parents to come & see all of us at once!

Post Thanks / Like

ICM have clarified their aims & objective on their FAQ page - worth a read.
    http://www.****************/faq/
    Makes me feel a bit better.

Simona Guest

Default Independent cms social enterprise

It has done nothing of the sort to me and is causing many cms to doubt their original stance : to remain indpendent and have no one in the middle to pay for what we get for FREE now... the freedom to run our business

It is too early to decide, in my view, a few clarifications won't change my mind or that of amny against any middleman, but pressure has resulted in more clarifications from them...keep it up!! and keep debating!

Post Thanks / Like

I do not doubt my original stance at all.
    I think they might actually be able to HELP me to remain Independent.
    I am currently an NCMA member and this new organisation might be a better option (as they are turning into PACEY and diluting).
    I have signed up for information and I am keeping an open mind at this stage.
    If the membership fee is too high, benefits insufficient or if I don't like them for some other reason, then I won't join.
    But at the end of the day, I will make my own choice.

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I dont like the fact they are part of the government's agency group - why if they dont want to be an agency or if they want us to remain independent.

Why do we need a trade union? Im self emplyed who are they going to represent me against myself?

Mmm methinks something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to think that this company is promising to do what the NCMA should have been doing to support childminders if the NCMA (PACEY) hadn't gone off on a tangent - this is why I am no longer a member of the NCMA and maybe why Stuart Turner (ex director of professional standards for NCMA has jumped ship too.

I haven't signed up yet - I am waiting to find out what their costs are - don't know why they can't be upfront and advertise it now!

10. Likes Mouse, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I haven't signed up yet - I am waiting to find out what their costs are - don't know why they can't be upfront and advertise it now!
    It's like everything else at the moment. We're given drips of information with none of the facts we actually want! I notice they say they won't take a percentage of our earnings. Well, anything they take will be a percentage of some sort, even if it's a one off fee! I guess they mean they won't take a set, regular percentage.

I'll wait & see where it goes before deciding one way or another. I don't think I'd join up to anything yet anyway. I'll wait & see where government proposals lead before deciding if I need an alternative like this

12. Likes loocyloo, mum26 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Default Independent childminders SE

As from this week we will have a choice of who to belong to or not!

Those wishing to remain individually 'independent' can do so as staed by Truss and we will have to hold her accountable to that promise
    The new association will represent 'independent' cms who will be dependant on the services provided by them and for them...so we will have a 2 tier of independence!

I agree it is worth waiting and reading ALL the information and implications of joining anything...I don't meam skim read but really read every single line

The main issue remains that if cms decide not to join they have guarantees that no obstacles or unfair competition stand in our way and we can continue to access the support and training of our LAs...free or otherwise as I am sure this will come at a cost as it will be for those who join anything

Post Thanks / Like

Fussy Elmo: I think they are part of the Gov group, so they can access whatever 'benefits' / carrots on sticks Truss will offer to Parents who use Agencies.

It is very much a Plan B option for me:
    If Agencies come in, my local are will probably be dominated by the 'black and yellow winged stingy insect' Agency. Parents might be offered a financial benefit which I can't give to them. What if this becomes a major issue for my sustainability? This could be a way round it, without actually having to join a (profit-making) Agency.

That is why I am interested in what they have to offer and why I am choosing to keep an open mind.

NB: If you sign up for info you aren't actually Joining them. Nobody can join yet anyway.

15. Likes loocyloo, Bicky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

'local are' = 'local area'

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I would like to think that this company is promising to do what the NCMA should have been doing to support childminders if the NCMA (PACEY) hadn't gone off on a tangent - this is why I am no longer a member of the NCMA and maybe why Stuart Turner (ex director of professional standards for NCMA has jumped ship too.

However credit where credit NCMA did fight our corner against the government and ofsted I cant remember which thread will go and find it.

Found the thread

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...arliament.html
    Last edited by FussyElmo; 18-03-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added link
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

18. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We are the only national body representing childminders best interests on that group.

Does anyone know if the NCMA were invited? Why did they refuse if invited? Why invite a group to represent us who has of yet have no members who exactly are they representing?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    We are the only national body representing childminders best interests on that group.

Does anyone know if the NCMA were invited? Why did they refuse if invited? Why invite a group to represent us who has of yet have no members who exactly are they representing?
    NCMA's issued a statement about this. They were invited to be on the panel, but refused cos they do not wish to support the agency model in any way.

How can an organisation oppose something then sit on a board that is setting it up?

The way I see it, it's like a bunch of turkeys sitting on the panel that organises a traditional Xmas dinner.

21. Likes FussyElmo, christine e liked this post
    Simona Guest

Default independent childminders

Just to clarify that ******* is a trade association not a 'trade union' as it clearly says on the FAQs

it is a social enterprise therefore a business, they will need to make money to pay wages, training, raise funds as stated, run website etc
    Any profits left can be reinvested or donated to a charity which is their option...
    They say they have quietly consulted with many cms, EYPs, network cms for the last year??

I have spoken to many cms and others and all seem confused whether this association is an agency...many of the things they will do are similar to agencies: administer Free entitlement and c/vs, match parents, provide holiday cover, monitor and investigate cms, provide training and help with business matter....so I am not clear either

These w links explain what a Social Enterprise is

https://www.gov.uk/set-up-a-social-enterprise (this is a gov.uk link formerly DfE)

What is social enterprise? – Social Enterprise Mark

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Just to clarify that ******* is a trade association not a 'trade union' as it clearly says on the FAQs

it is a social enterprise therefore a business, they will need to make money to pay wages, training, raise funds as stated, run website etc
    Any profits left can be reinvested or donated to a charity which is their option...
    They say they have quietly consulted with many cms, EYPs, network cms for the last year??

I have spoken to many cms and others and all seem confused whether this association is an agency...many of the things they will do are similar to agencies: administer Free entitlement and c/vs, match parents, provide holiday cover, monitor and investigate cms, provide training and help with business matter....so I am not clear either

These w links explain what a Social Enterprise is

https://www.gov.uk/set-up-a-social-enterprise (this is a gov.uk link formerly DfE)

What is social enterprise? – Social Enterprise Mark
    Sorry Simona it was me who called it a union. Brain refusing to work and on my phone

I always wonder why groups say they have consulted with cms like Ms Truss says but then noone ever seems to have been consulted - told you still cynical

Simona Guest

No need to apologise...I am in a spin with all these new things too!

NCMA refused to be part of the 'task and finish' group because they did not want to help develop agencies...which is understandable..however they left an empty seat. ******* are there representing independent cms, not sure why because many would not agree with some of their proposals

Wonder who these vocal and pro-active cms are that have formed this group?

As said and repeated a thousand times we need to have guarantee they won't stand in our way and ...lets say..we can coexist??

Strangely that many cms left when NCMA widened the m'ship and rebranded ...******* is now a cms association but thinking of widening the m'ship in future...so back to square one???

25. Likes FussyElmo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    No need to apologise...I am in a spin with all these new things too!

NCMA refused to be part of the 'task and finish' group because they did not want to help develop agencies...which is understandable..however they left an empty seat. ******* are there representing independent cms, not sure why because many would not agree with some of their proposalsWonder who these vocal and pro-active cms are that have formed this group?

As said and repeated a thousand times we need to have guarantee they won't stand in our way and ...lets say..we can coexist??

Strangely that many cms left when NCMA widened the m'ship and rebranded ...******* is now a cms association but thinking of widening the m'ship in future...so back to square one???
    Good for the NCMA if you disagree about something then stand by it.

The question is how and why have the ******* taken this seat when they are not actually representing anyone yet. Also how did the government know to ask them?

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the difference between this company and an agency? The only thing I can see is that they will charge a fee, where as the agency will take a percentage of takings or employ childminders.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast