Nursery world - Was messaged this today
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nursery world - Was messaged this today

Elizabeth Truss has proposed changes in 2 areas for childminders. The much talked about RATIO change and the quiet under the carpet route of CHILDMINDING AGENCIES.
    Everyone seems to have focussed on the ratio element. But WAKE UP!!! - the agencies are going to be trialled in September 2013! Which means they will probably go ahead. At this moment in time they are not divulging who these first agencies are - or in which counties.
    Ms Truss and the Government have not consulted Childminders about their full intentions - and have no desire to unless WE force her to take that route. Yes mumsnet have thankfully touched on Childminding agencies - but the focus again was mainly on the child ratio!
    The NCMA to my mind have also not been seen to be as publically active as I would have hoped (perhaps they are going to be agency reps!! watch this space). The NCMA needs to put out a full consultation with all the relevant aspects of our job roles and how these will be affected - to include the proposals of how these agencies will be run, the cost to the childminder, parent and our full business

A nursery worker emailed me this today, apparently its part of an article on the Nursery World forum. I dont know if its of interest to anyone x

2. Likes zippy, loocyloo, mum24 liked this post
    Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

CHILDMINDING AGENCIES | Nursery World Forum

Here is the link to the full article

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Of the few childminders that I have spoken to that know about any changes everyone is for the ratio but against the agencies

5. Likes mum24 liked this post
    Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just got back from my local childminding group this morning and very few of the childminders there knew anything about the agencies and were talking quite positively about the changes! That was up until me and the Childminding Coordinator explained what was happening with agencies! Our coordinator has said she's been told trials start in September and will be fully in place in 2014!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm badgering our EY lead to host meetings for CM's so we can inform them of what is going on. Most arent' even aware of ANY changes so most aren't fighting it.

We need to make them aware of ratios and agencies AND the consultation (which they seem to be keeping quiet about).

After all if we can persaude CM's NOT to use agencies when they are trialled then hopefully they will NEVER take off
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    i'm badgering our EY lead to host meetings for CM's so we can inform them of what is going on. Most arent' even aware of ANY changes so most aren't fighting it.

We need to make them aware of ratios and agencies AND the consultation (which they seem to be keeping quiet about).

After all if we can persaude CM's NOT to use agencies when they are trialled then hopefully they will NEVER take off
    Mine reckons they will try and start them off with new childminders who don't know any different!

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if they bring In agencies a lot of minders will give up :-(

Sarah's Jellytots x

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

what happened to the rest of my post?

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting confused now. Are we doing anything on mass(like the petition) about agencies or is it just individual email, letters etc

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The petition is about ratios - it is an issue that includes everyone - parents, nurseries, pre-schools...

www.keepratiosdown.co.uk

There was a petition about agencies last year which clearly wasn't listened to. Maybe the person who closed that needs to re-open it??

Meanwhile the forum is speaking on behalf of childminders and lobbying - and encouraging a letter writing campaign to all MPs and govt.

There are letter writing ideas, there's a forum poster, there are lots of other documents and information in the threads and if anyone needs support with anything at all they only have to ask!

We are also preparing a document pulling together all the different strands of the campaign for everyone to use as a reference point.

if you want anything else from us please just let us know! There is a team of very dedicated people working on it in our spare time

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The petition that was closed was firstly against the deregulation of cms and putting us into agencies that way.

So the government can say they listened to us by not pushing the deregulation. They are also very quick to point out that you can stay independent no need to join. But it will help new cms
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've said all along that I was more concerned about agencies than ratios.

For childminders the ratio changes aren't much at all. It's only really tweeking what we can already do now. It isn't a massive change and of course, isn't compulsory. I would prefer the ratio changes went ahead, but if for any reason the plans were dropped, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Agencies pose a much greater threat, especially considering the lack of information we are getting about them.

My big fear is that the government will turn round and say "OK, you win, we won't change the ratios". There'd be big celebrations that the petitions had won...then the wake up call when everyone realises we're stuck with agencies that are actually more damaging to childminding that ratio changes.

I don't know whether the ratio changes will go ahead, but I think we all know that agencies will. If we can't stop them, we need to be prepared for them. There is a new blog being set up that aims to provide all the information childminders will need regarding agencies. It's only been set up today, so the information is limited, but over time it should become a one stop shop for finding out the pros & cons of being an independent childminder. I won't post a link as the blog doesn't have a reciprocal link back to the forum, but there will be a press release about it tomorrow.