Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Support for childminders from Penny Leach

As she says in her article -

I sincerely doubt that anyone will make money out of the proposed changes in ratios for childminders, because while they really might reduce fees per family if they took more children, none – OK almost none – of them will take the newly permitted numbers. Why? Because a job which many good child minders already find it exceedingly difficult to do well will become impossible to do even passably.

At present their total of six children under eight can only include three under-fives and one baby - usually two schoolchildren between five and eight join in from 3.15 and are there at half term and in the holidays. It's already a lot, especially if the under-fives are under-threes. And when all six are there, space is at a premium in most child minders' homes. The new ratios will allow the same total of six children but four can be under-fives (often toddlers) and two can be babies under one year. I wonder if Ms Truss has talked to any mothers who are at home with twin babies? Mothers who are at home with twin babies and a toddler? What about twin babies, a two year old, a three year old and a four year old? That's still one under- five fewer than will be allowed. You can carry one baby around while you supervise under- fives; but two babies? You can put one baby and the youngest toddler in a twin buggy and have the other two holding on – just – but if the buggy's got two babies in it you're done for unless Ms Truss is going to make triplet buggies available for free. How are you going to get to the park or the swings?

Child minders work alone. That's the best and the worst thing about them. Calm consistency for the children, but nobody to call on in an emergency and a bit lonely too. Most deal with the loneliness (and keep up the quality of their care) by going to play groups and music groups and lets-have-a-picnic groups and for that you need to take the children in a car. Is the government going to finance seven-seaters complete with appropriate child seats? No chance.

The full article is here

Penelope Leach | Guest Blog | Bloggers Network | Mumsnet

2. Likes CH1957, WibbleWobble, lilac_dragon liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i like what she says, but i think she has mis-read the ratios as she talks about 2 babies AND 3 under 5's !!! now that would be MAD!

i like the idea of being provided with free triple buggies ( decent ones that are pushable and fit through doors please ) and new cars & car seats

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly my thoughts!! Well done Penny Leach.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Are we ever going to find someone in support of the changes

You would like to think that the government will listen but Im not holding my breathe
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the link was posted yesterday. A much better written article, isn't it? The section on nursery care is very good and the point about childminders not reducing fees is clearly written.

But still, she has the childminding numbers wrong, doesn't she? And that fact that we have to have a car to get children about

I would love to see just one article where they quote the correct numbers for childminders and don't try to portray us as having to struggle with 6 children when we won't. No wonder parents are getting confused. I had a mum say to me she's read I'd be able to take on 6 children. I told her we wouldn't, but she said she'd read it in a few places & was I sure? It does worry me that the more parents see it being reported that we can have 6 under 5s, the more it's going to put them off even considering a childminder
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-02-2013 at 05:33 PM.

7. Likes loocyloo, lilac_dragon liked this post
    Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Why can people not get their facts straight BEFORE they write an article. Even more frustrating when this is a"childcare Expert"
    So,no I'm afraid I can not see this as @Support for childminders'

No wonder parents are confused (and against) the change in childminder ratios if they believe that we will all be caring for 2 under 1's AND 4 under 5's!