Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Perhaps to get their money's worth ou of childminders they should send us in to inspect the children's centres and nurseries
    Here here - where do they get off with the insults?? They made us improve our game buy gaining qualifications till they come out of our ears, produce more paperwork than it would take a small forest to produce, buy equipment for every eventuality and now we are to reduce our costs, pay someone 10% or our wages so they can down grade us - I think not!!!!
    Celest

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If any of this happens I shall be giving up definitly

That will be 1 less childminder

moogster1a Guest

I'd like to know how they would enforce the 10% bit. At the moment I'm pretty sure that my tax affairs are between myself and the taxman and remain confidential.
    Does this mean I'd have to share my income details with the muppets at my local surestart centre. Absoloutely no way!
    That would mean they'd have access to my bank account statements in order to make sure I'm not fiddling them out of some of their 10%.
    Any legal bods. on here know how wrong that would be?!

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moogster1a View Post
    I'd like to know how they would enforce the 10% bit. At the moment I'm pretty sure that my tax affairs are between myself and the taxman and remain confidential.
    Does this mean I'd have to share my income details with the muppets at my local surestart centre. Absoloutely no way!
    That would mean they'd have access to my bank account statements in order to make sure I'm not fiddling them out of some of their 10%.
    Any legal bods. on here know how wrong that would be?!
    I think what happens in the netherlands is that the minders just childmind and collect the money and the agency does everything else - so when they are get one of these spot checks it is probably a bit like the old Social Services checks where they chat to you and ensure your lead on the kettle isn't too long etc.
    Celest

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that in some countries where there are similar schemes, the agency collects the money and passes it on the cm...obviously less their 10%!

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven Scent View Post
    I think what happens in the netherlands is that the minders just childmind and collect the money and the agency does everything else - so when they are get one of these spot checks it is probably a bit like the old Social Services checks where they chat to you and ensure your lead on the kettle isn't too long etc.
    I actually think its worse than that - I interpreted it that they set the rates collected the money and then paid the childminder less their 10%.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

when i was working in australia as a nanny, i worked for an agency who invoiced the parents and then paid me. i was getting a good wage from it, but i guess the parents paid a higher fee to the agency!

(i wouldn't have done it for a permanent job, but it was great for the 9 mths i was there, and only wanted to work 2 days a week! )

but i guess that rather than us having to pay whichever agency, it would be the parents paying the agency and them paying us, after taking their 10%, and i presume, they would set the fees too. a bit like the funding for 3 & 4 yr olds. you have no choice about the amount, just if you wish to take the funded children or not!

cross posted! both saying the same!

moogster1a Guest

OMG!! So it would all be done through agencies. What about the grand British tradition of doing cash in hand?!! ( how would they know any different if you came to a "private arrangement".)
    I would do everything I possibly could to wriggle out of such a ridiculous invasive scheme. Like I say, will nurseries, pre schools and nannies be subject to the same legislation or just us CM';s 'cos we're not "real" businesses?

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    when i was working in australia as a nanny, i worked for an agency who invoiced the parents and then paid me. i was getting a good wage from it, but i guess the parents paid a higher fee to the agency!
    Yes, that happens here but the agency employed you. The tax office doesn't like self-employed nannies. However we run our own businesses and our fees and our contracts are our business. You don't become self employed to have someone else telling you what to charge and skimming your income!

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uf353432 View Post
    I actually think its worse than that - I interpreted it that they set the rates collected the money and then paid the childminder less their 10%.
    I agree - all you do is childmind - by the looks of it they write all the policies etc etc - they say jump and you say how high - I think not - I cant see it being cheaper the agancies will need to make a profit and no business is cheap to run in this country - I think the system works just fine as it is (well it needs some tweaking where Ofsted are concerned)

Can you imagine the huge set up costs that would be involved in it - Its doesn't bear thinking about - they think we are silly little stay at home mums with no brains - well he Buster we have brains and some spare to burn so back off quick before you get knocked down in the Great Childminder Stampeed!!!!
    Celest

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bridey View Post
    Yes, that happens here but the agency employed you. The tax office doesn't like self-employed nannies. However we run our own businesses and our fees and our contracts are our business. You don't become self employed to have someone else telling you what to charge and skimming your income!
    well I certainly don't!!!

So we all become nurseries then....only we keep our ratio's really small and there will be lots of micro nurseries all around the country - around 55 thousand of them and Ofsted regulate them.

Or!!!

Ofsted actually look at the way in which they manage inspections - for those acheiving good or outstanding every 5 years and sticking to 3 yr inspections for below good childminders. Working smarter by doing multiple inspections in the same geographical location in the same time frame, doing shorter inspections so that they can do up to 3 inspections in one day.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

:Ofsted actually look at the way in which they manage inspections - for those acheiving good or outstanding every 5 years and sticking to 3 yr inspections for below good childminders. Working smarter by doing multiple inspections in the same geographical location in the same time frame, doing shorter inspections so that they can do up to 3 inspections in one day.
    But that would take common sense - or an organisation where the left hand knew what the right one was doing. Don't think Ofsted quite fit the bill

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets all register as childcare on a domestic premises - would we be childminders then??
    Celest

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So we all become nurseries then....only we keep our ratio's really small and there will be lots of micro nurseries all around the country - around 55 thousand of them and Ofsted regulate them.

Or!!!

Ofsted actually look at the way in which they manage inspections - for those acheiving good or outstanding every 5 years and sticking to 3 yr inspections for below good childminders. Working smarter by doing multiple inspections in the same geographical location in the same time frame, doing shorter inspections so that they can do up to 3 inspections in one day.
    I like both those ideas!

Post Thanks / Like

Or!!!

Oh now don't be silly, that would be far too much of a simple idea. When can we have another vote and get these muppets out of power. I knew they'd be bad news, but even I couldn't have predicted they'd do this. I for one will be leaving if this comes about.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Or!!!

i agree bridey, these sound like great ideas !

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Not having read the links, but going on the posts I've read, we're self employed and running out own businesses....so how can anyone make us charge what they say and then pay them 10% of our money, beyond ridiculous!!!!

Lady Haha Guest

This is a fantastic idea!!! Is it really that simple though? I know you were only half joking, but is it a real possibility? I would register as an 'out of school club' as I only care for schoolies. Even if it cost me more to do it that way, I would still do it! There's no way I could work for an agency and have them setting my rates and collecting the cash etc. I love the independence this job gives me. I love running my own business and making my own rules and being my own boss. I would be devastated if those keys things were taken away from me The very fact that I CHOOSE to look after schoolies only would probably go against me if an agency were in charge. I doubt I would be allowed to be so picky. But why shouldn't I be picky? It's MY business!!!

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackandsparkly View Post
    This is a fantastic idea!!! Is it really that simple though? I know you were only half joking, but is it a real possibility? I would register as an 'out of school club' as I only care for schoolies. Even if it cost me more to do it that way, I would still do it! There's no way I could work for an agency and have them setting my rates and collecting the cash etc. I love the independence this job gives me. I love running my own business and making my own rules and being my own boss. I would be devastated if those keys things were taken away from me The very fact that I CHOOSE to look after schoolies only would probably go against me if an agency were in charge. I doubt I would be allowed to be so picky. But why shouldn't I be picky? It's MY business!!!
    You know it might be a route I go down as well - I make alot of income from after school children, I could have a larger ratio as well.

Post Thanks / Like

from her proposals you wouldn't be able to put up your prices - they would be set by the agency!
    But that would create an even bigger issue as we would no longer be self-employed, so do we get holiday pay/sick pay/pension rights, someone to do all our bookwork? Me thinks not !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast