THIS POST NEEDS YOUR ATTENTION NOW!! - THE FUTURE OF CHILDMINDING IS AT STAKE!!!!!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    NCMA have been in big meetings with Ofsted after disparaging comments by the Ofsted head guy against childminder registration in the media a few weeks ago.

A number of suggestions were made by Ofsted for changing things - which NCMA are robustly arguing against on our behalf.

The survey is all part of evidence gathering by NCMA so they can argue properly using childminder comments as part of the evidence.

Unfortunately it is not scaremongering - it could really happen and in the not too distant future too.

While I am not an NCMA member I am grateful to them for involving and supporting childminders in this issue
    How soon is 'in the not too distant future'? scary thought...

Jun 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Submitted mine. x

dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

its late and im confused at what is actually happening and whats not going to happen and blah blah but i cant leave it i need to know please some one explain thank you sorry x

Oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Donkey, done it.

I didn't realise this might be on the cards.

I don't think anyone on my network knows about this, strangely.

xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have started a new thread about writing a letter to lobby MPs.

Please add your comments - every voice counts!

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/...d.php?t=101340

Thank you

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol M View Post
    I have replied.The longer I think about it the stronger my thoughts become. I actually think that the current Ofsted inspection process is not an accurate picture of the quality provided, as only a snapshot. I would prefer to be registered by Ofsted with all the current regulations and EYFS ... BUT.... I would like the Local Authority to take over inspection.
    I think the LA know more about childminding than OFSTED and they work alongside childminders and see providers delivering quality care and education on a consistent basis.
    I still think Childminding should be regulated and inspected individually, not within a network of settings as again it will not give an accurate picture of the quality and I for one am not happy to be linked with my local childrens centre and nursery where I have witnessed bad practice!
    Please don't shoot the messenger
    Carol xx
    That would be quite a good idea BUT I don't believe that it should be the network co-ordinators who work directly with childminders who would do inspections - It should be someone who is in no way connected - I do feel though we should be inspected by people who understand the sector and not by ex-primary school teachers or the ex-primary school teachers (which is what most inspectors tend to be) should have to do a set number of CPD hours working in the sector to become professionally competent so that they are qualified to inspect in the area. - they should have to do a set number of hours observing in childminders homes or they should employ more ex minders to carry out childminder inspections.

I also don't agree with the short version of the inspection report for childminders - we pull out all the stops and do the same work as everyone else so why cant we have equal status in the report stakes - I think the report is too short as it stands and I feel it rarely matches the grade awarded.
    Celest

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was on a first aid course and none of the childminders knew about this, we have to tell every childminder we know. I am worried we would loose the childcare vouchers and parents would go to nurseries.

mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

completed

Feb 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

completed and will send to others to reply.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't do this yet as not registered, pre-reg visit on 15 June

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Completed it, will send to others.

feb 93
    Post Thanks / Like

completed.

Oct 11.
    Latest Inspection Grade
    x Good x
    Post Thanks / Like

Done xx
    What we could have done with was a comment box and the following questions
    on a scale of 1-5 (one being little/none and five being lots/very)

1) do you feel ofsted need's a new cheif exicutive
    2) do you feel Sir Micheal knows and understands OFSTED regestration and inspections

Feel free to add questions to lighten the mood!
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

july 20
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

completed!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just done it

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

All done, This is very worrying Does anyone know if there is a date in which the decision will be made?

It all seems crazy to me!!

Feb '12
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

so the true cost of regulation is revealed as £400 per childminder per year on average, so if we want the ofsted 'badge of quality' should CM's pay for it or should there should be a proper cost recovery system of sorts?

the health and safety executive are trialling a cost recovery system where those that fail to comply (a material breach of law, not just a technical/administrative breach) are charged the full cost of any intervention -and i'm not talking about a fine on prosecution this is about billing by the hour (around 166 pounds an hour) for the inspection and time to write a letter or serve a statutory notice.

i'm not sure whats right but among CM's there seems to be a lot of regulatory creep/exceeding legal requirements to please Ofsted inspector where the outcome is not always better quality childcare

is this mobilisation of CM's against deregulation just self interest/protectionism?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gabby77 View Post
    so the true cost of regulation is revealed as £400 per childminder per year on average, so if we want the ofsted 'badge of quality' should CM's pay for it or should there should be a proper cost recovery system of sorts?

the health and safety executive are trialling a cost recovery system where those that fail to comply (a material breach of law, not just a technical/administrative breach) are charged the full cost of any intervention -and i'm not talking about a fine on prosecution this is about billing by the hour (around 166 pounds an hour) for the inspection and time to write a letter or serve a statutory notice.

i'm not sure whats right but among CM's there seems to be a lot of regulatory creep/exceeding legal requirements to please Ofsted inspector where the outcome is not always better quality childcare

is this mobilisation of CM's against deregulation just self interest/protectionism?
    Welcome to the forum Gabby.

I am struggling a bit with what you are suggesting - are you talking about childminders who fail to reach the required standards paying more money than others for re-inspection?

We tend to treat childminders who are struggling with requirements as people in need of support, help, extra training etc rather than adding punitive financial costs to their already possibly quite fragile businesses...

Yes of course there will always be childminders who work harder than others and go the extra mile. It is interesting that you see it as pleasing Ofsted... I see it in my business as wanting to promote the best possible outcomes for every child and parent who attends my provision.

Are you a working childminder Gabby? Have you had problems with your Ofsted inspections? You sound disillusioned.

Is there anything we can do to support you? Please feel free to start a thread and chat about any issues you might have.

I hope you are enjoying the forum!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Feb '12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Welcome to the forum Gabby.

I am struggling a bit with what you are suggesting - are you talking about childminders who fail to reach the required standards paying more money than others for re-inspection?

We tend to treat childminders who are struggling with requirements as people in need of support, help, extra training etc rather than adding punitive financial costs to their already possibly quite fragile businesses...

Yes of course there will always be childminders who work harder than others and go the extra mile. It is interesting that you see it as pleasing Ofsted... I see it in my business as wanting to promote the best possible outcomes for every child and parent who attends my provision.

Are you a working childminder Gabby? Have you had problems with your Ofsted inspections? You sound disillusioned.

Is there anything we can do to support you? Please feel free to start a thread and chat about any issues you might have.

I hope you are enjoying the forum!

Hi, am new working CM, part of what I was surprised that we pay only 6-7% of the true cost of regulation in registration costs, which got me thinking is this right?

one approach, though not one i advocate, that the government have taken recently is as below in respect of safety law:

'The Government believes that it is reasonable that businesses that are found to be in serious breach of the law – rather than the taxpayer - should bear the related costs incurred by the regulator in helping them put things right. A cost recovery principle will provide a deterrent to those who would otherwise fail to meet their obligations and a level playing field for those who do.'

and increasingly the current government (and its quangos) are moving to some sort of full cost recovery - else the department/quango does not exist.

anyway probably me off on a tangent -can be easily distracted

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456