Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey1 View Post
    My comments were not aimed at you Emma,, if we did keep receipts for every little thing ie stamps , ice cream you would be under a sea of paperwork. Fir everyone's information... I keep my receipts for everything I can.... Joint receipts ... Things are highlighted....
    What I was criticising is the way people on here are quick to label others on here and some people really need to wind their neck in where it comes to being judgemental..
    Okies

Really would hate for anyone to think I was judging them. I am not a judgemental person and tbh I love this forum and everyone on it. I do however like a good debate... providing it does not get personal.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I'm sorry but this is a rather pointless exercise.

Why would you spend potentially several thousand pounds on resources that you probably don't need and dare I say buy lots of £9 worth of ice cream (you must have a lot of children) just to save a few hundred pounds on a Tax bill?

It sounds nuts to me!!!
    Thousands of pounds???? Surplus to requirements... I bloomin wish!
    Monkey by Name........Monkey by Nature!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

you mean you don't have thousands just lay around??!!
    Francine X

aly Guest

if we did keep receipts for every little thing ie stamps , ice cream you would be under a sea of paperwork. Fir everyone's information... I keep my receipts for everything I can.... Joint receipts ... Things are highlighted....
    I do try to keep all my receipts even for things that are a £1 etc ....thats only because I don't do my accounts straightaway and forget....Im guessign theres quite a few receipts that have either got lost thrown out that I havent claimed for.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aly View Post
    I do try to keep all my receipts even for things that are a £1 etc ....thats only because I don't do my accounts straightaway and forget....Im guessign theres quite a few receipts that have either got lost thrown out that I havent claimed for.
    me too! I try and enter my receipts in my accounts book weekly now for this reason! doesn't always go to plan though!!
    Francine X

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by francinejayne View Post
    she also told us that if we attend training courses in our own time it is OK to put down our hourly rate multiplied by the number of hours on the course as an expense as that is what we charge when we are working.
    !
    I wish we had this lady lol

We attended a training with HMRC person who basically told us we couldn't claim for a training that was not a requirement of registration such as First Aid and the like. E.g. so the training I attended on Saturday which was a music and communication one couldn't be used as it was not a requirement but one I had chosen to do.
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

~Chelle~ Guest

Me too

Hmmm you put your son's xmas present through as the mindee's will play with it

Does this mean that it would be ok to buy my son's an Ipad 2 for xmas, and let my mindee have a few go's, and then put it through my expenses

And yes everyone is entitled to their opinion, but just because that opinion is different to yours, does not mean that your opinion is the only one that matters!

Debate is good, insults are not x

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    OK I may get a right kicking for this, so I apologise in advance if I offend anyone!

I find it sad that we have to apologise for being an honest person or that anyone would be offended by it and says a lot about the state of the world we live in today

I am an honest person, I have never stolen anything in my life (intentionally). In fact I once walked out of a supermarket after buying shopping, with a load of dummies on the top of my pushchair not paid for, I got the the car founf them and was mortified, I went straight back to the counter and apologised and paid for them... everyone said I was mad, even the cashier said she doesn't know anyone who would have done that.

Nothing wrong with being honest. I am the person who tells the cashier when they have given me too much change and get odd looks from my hubby for doing this.

I do my accounts and I am really strict with what I put through as expenses. Yes I have bought nappies and wipes for my lo

I am lucky and don't have this problem as I don't have children of my own

People often moan about this country, taxes, job losses, less government help etc, well sorry but it is partly the publics fault in the first place, dodgy benefits cheats, dodgy large businesses and off shore accounts, dodgt deals with the large companies and the tax man... but also small businesses like ours trying to pull a fast one and claim expenses to aviod paying tax... Sorry but to me people who do that are no better than cheat.

Like I said sorry if I cause offense and my argument is not based on hardcare research, but it is just how I feel.

Plus if you do things properly then you will have no comebacks on yourself ever!
    Too true I always try to be honest cos believe me if I didn't I'm the one who they would find out.
    Last edited by buildingblocks; 02-03-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: my laptop hates me and didn't add formatting right
    love Kate

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I'm sorry but this is a rather pointless exercise. Why would you spend potentially several thousand pounds on resources that you probably don't need and dare I say buy lots of £9 worth of ice cream (you must have a lot of children) just to save a few hundred pounds on a Tax bill? It sounds nuts to me!!!
    For me its not about saving money and not paying the tax man that is just a bonus. In 9 years of minding three years I have paid tax of £250, £600, and the last tax year £13. the remaining ones no tax.

I buy a lot of resources through the year and as I want my setting to be a quality setting offering lots of experiences so I buy Quality products. My friend on the other hand believes in being thrifty and shops mainly in charity shops and gets lots of bargains she hasn't paid tax either.

I don't drive, I live in a rubbish area with not much for the children so we spend a lot of time in my setting. When we do go out when hubby is available to play chauffeur all my costs go through I do not charge the parents extra.

I got a loan for the garden to be developed approx £8K none of which went through my books due to this Capital Tax thingy (sorry not sure what its proper name is). this year I have had new fencing put in the back garden. Its a neighbours fence and they wouldn't replace it so we have had to as it wasn't safe to let the children out in the back garden. That is going through my books as I wouldn't have replaced it if I hadn't been a childminder, so no doubt I won't be having to pay tax this year either. In theory I should put it all through but am only putting half through to be on the safe side. I use an accountant and check things with him but know that I can explain where every penny has gone
    love Kate

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Very well said Francine! Totally agree with you. Let's face it,how many go of us all splurge on new resources ( that we probably dont need) in march just. Because it's the end of the tax year???
    Usually I would say I wish as I would be so far behind in my accounts I wouldn't know whether I had the money lol. This year they are up to date and it looks like I won't be paying tax again. I only wish I was earning enough to pay tax this year as business is so slow.
    love Kate

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I please point out that I have not insulted anyone. Nor am I saying people should not buy resources..I am on about people making up FALSE expenses under £9 to avoid tax

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i'd love too comment on this

but i wont

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I allow so much per month towards washing powder, toilet paper etc that the mindees use
    I don't put down items like this, I thought they were covered by the 10% of our earnings we are allowed to deduct from our gross income?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catminder View Post
    I don't put down items like this, I thought they were covered by the 10% of our earnings we are allowed to deduct from our gross income?
    That's for wear and tear hunny.... Spills on carpet, pens on walks , furniture damaged etc x
    Monkey by Name........Monkey by Nature!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catminder View Post
    No the 10% is for 'Wear and Tear'. All items we use regularly go down as Expenses so Monkey is right.

The 10% covers furnishing renewal, repair, cleaning of sofas, curtains, carpets etc.

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I love about this forum compared to others. Everyone has an opinion, but in some other forums discussions can get nasty, personal with really bad language However on here, most of you have apologised if your opinion has offended anyone, or said they respect others opinions even if they didnt agree with them. You are true ladies.
    Julie X X

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bear23 View Post
    i'd love too comment on this

but i wont
    go on, be a devil!!!
    Francine X

Pipsqueak Guest

yall should do what i do....

just don't DO accounts... - bury your head in the sand and forget about accounting.

well forget about them till January 29th of each year

oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you put through money then that you pay your children to help you to do cleaning, tidying up etc? Do they have to be CRB checked, a certain age and classed as an assistant then?
    Clorogue

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clorogue View Post
    Can you put through money then that you pay your children to help you to do cleaning, tidying up etc? Do they have to be CRB checked, a certain age and classed as an assistant then?
    Yes you can put through a reasonable amount of pocket money for doing such jobs and if they are not CRB checked by Ofsted until they are 16. No they don't have to be a registered assistant either.

I have been putting through such an amount for several years now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123