Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SHORT TAX FORM

Registered Childminder since
    mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Think ive been filling out the wrong form too, ive done 2 tax returns now which have taken me just over an hour each time, will swap to the short one next year

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been self employed for over 10 years and this year was the first time I had the short tax form, I was convinced I was filling in the wrong one

I filled it in and sent it off and all done in no time, I found it so much easier that I actually done it myself this year. Normally I take it to HMRC and they help me fill it out.
    By being true to myself I live life to the full

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnchovy View Post
    SA103S is the right one, it is only two pages long and make sure you note the bit that says "If your annual turnover was below £70,000 you may just put your total expenses in box 19, rather than filling in the whole section."

You also have to fill in the main tax return as well, but unless you have dividends or other income or need to claim any tax relief for pension payments etc. that is just your name and address which is pre-filled plus a few ticks and a signature.
    You will find a link to the forms and an explanation here.

Jun 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    08/08/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    just looking at this thread, and I don't get it.

Anyone know what you would pay on earnings of £6800 ? think I need to find some more reciepts

with a reply of

£151.

If you can find £325 of expenses that would get it down to £60 - have you claimed all the mileage you can? What about mobile phone costs? Subscription to this forum.

how does that work out. it looks like to me, the lower you earn the higher you tax?????
    also I thought you had to earn about £7475 and over before you pay tax. can you fill me in.
    Thanks
    Tanya

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

how does that work out. it looks like to me, the lower you earn the higher you tax?????
    No, on £6,800 of earnings you pay £151, an additional £325 of expenses would reduce that to £6,475 on which you would pay £60.

also I thought you had to earn about £7475 and over before you pay tax. can you fill me in.
    That is the figure for 2011/12 at which you start paying income tax. But in 2010/11 you start paying income tax at £6,475, and start paying 8% Class 4 NI at £5,715 (the corresponding figures for 2011/12 are 9% and £7,225).

Jun 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    08/08/11
    Post Thanks / Like

rrriiight - this is last years tax figure, figures, silly me, the new tax figures are from this april. doh!!!
    sorry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12