Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shed

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think the input Mr A gives is great and well appreciated by me at least . It makes me think about some of the practices I adopt and I also know that I would want anything like this in writing.

We had an accountant at a training event recently and tbh I think some of the practices he told us about seemed a little dodgy to me however it did set my brain cells working to look at my accounts more carefully. I have no problem sticking some small amounts through that I think I may be on sticky ground with but certainly not a large purchase like this shed without getting it in writing from HMRC.

Ultimately I think the buck stops with me so I want everything from the horses mouth

aly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    Personally I think the input Mr A gives is great and well appreciated by me at least . It makes me think about some of the practices I adopt and I also know that I would want anything like this in writing.

We had an accountant at a training event recently and tbh I think some of the practices he told us about seemed a little dodgy to me however it did set my brain cells working to look at my accounts more carefully. I have no problem sticking some small amounts through that I think I may be on sticky ground with but certainly not a large purchase like this shed without getting it in writing from HMRC.

Ultimately I think the buck stops with me so I want everything from the horses mouth
    The price of the OP's shed I would agree with you there as it is a huge amount and I wouldnt feel comfortable in claiming htat, but a normal bog standard shed then yeah.

Last edited by aly; 26-02-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    I think the difference between "shed" and "building" is the crux of the matter here not whether a shed is being claimed for
    You're absolutely right Debbie. Unfortunately, in order not to be a 'building' (or at least a 'structure' that is not eligible for any allowances), a 'shed' must be designed to be, and actually, moved from place to place. An example would be the kind of hut that a builder puts on site while he is working there, and then moves to the next site.

I have said on this forum previously that the plastic 'sheds' that are basically just large boxes with doors are almost certainly *not* buildings. A shed that sits on a concrete base almost certainly *is* a building. Between the two there is a grey area where you have three choices:

• Claim and hope that you never get investigated - or be prepared to argue and possibly lose if you are
    • Take advice as to what is likely to be allowed and claim accordingly
    • Ask HMRC for a ruling

Listening to hearsay about what other people may or may not have got away with is not, in my opinion, a valid option.

aly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnchovy View Post
    You're absolutely right Debbie. Unfortunately, in order not to be a 'building' (or at least a 'structure' that is not eligible for any allowances), a 'shed' must be designed to be, and actually, moved from place to place. An example would be the kind of hut that a builder puts on site while he is working there, and then moves to the next site.

I have said on this forum previously that the plastic 'sheds' that are basically just large boxes with doors are almost certainly *not* buildings. A shed that sits on a concrete base almost certainly *is* a building. Between the two there is a grey area where you have three choices:
    • Claim and hope that you never get investigated - or be prepared to argue and possibly lose if you are
    • Take advice as to what is likely to be allowed and claim accordingly
    • Ask HMRC for a ruling

Listening to hearsay about what other people may or may not have got away with is not, in my opinion, a valid option.
    It is not hear say though....we have got this advice from HMRC, they say yes so this is what we do.

Any shed thats put up can certainly be taken back down and moved {a lot of hassle though}to another place, and I wouldnt class that as a 'building'.....maybe the one the op is thinking of as it is a much larger or more expensive one...I may not be on the right track but i've some of those big 'sheds' that are actually summerhouses and I know a lot of councils will require you to seek permission for them...

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course this also includes anything I post on this forum - I do not post professional advice here (I can't - I do not have a professional relationship with the members who ask questions, and I don't know all of the relevant facts which I would need to in order to give a professional opinion).

So why do I bother to post at all then? Well, its because I believe that sometimes people on this forum and elsewhere do present hearsay as fact, and it bothers me that people may go ahead and assume that they have a smaller tax liability than turns out to be the case - or miss out on claiming an expense to which they are entitled - because of what they have been told by someone who appears very confident and knowledgable.
    Last edited by MrAnchovy; 27-02-2011 at 01:18 AM.

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aly View Post
    It is not hear say though....we have got this advice from HMRC, they say yes so this is what we do.
    I'm sorry, but advice that person A has been given by HMRC in relation to facts that they have disclosed is only relevant to person A. As far as everyone else is concerned, it is hearsay. Or as HMRC put it themselves:
    Information or advice you receive from HMRC applies:
    • to the applicant (even where the application has been made by the applicant's adviser)
    • to the particular transaction that was the subject of the request for advice
    Or
    • as stated in the information where it takes the form of Guidance or Public Notices

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We all post on here because we are asking something or responding to something.

All we can do is refer to our actual experiences and share then with others in the hope that this will be helpful. I din't think any of us is 'dictating' what others should do. most often, particlarly with matters to do with tax we will suggest that a person shoud check themselves with the tax office as to their particular circumstances.

All most of us want to do is share experiences in the hope they may help others.

If you are having a dig at my post about sheds. I am just relaying what cms in this area have claimed having checked for themselves.

I agree with Aly, you seem to contradict everything we post so what is the point.

You have some valuble tips to convey, but as you keep repeating you cannot say for sure because like us you are not familiar with each individuals circumstances. It is for the individual to look at the info we all offer from our experiences as childminders and then make up their own minds as to wether it is of any help to them.

Yes some of us are more confident than others, some of us have years of experience behind us and if that means that people have confidence in what we are saying is that so wrong? Is that not what you yourself are expecting people to do. Respect your views because you are a professional with experience?

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    If you are having a dig at my post about sheds...
    Didn't mean to, if it came across as that sorry - in fact it was you who first advised seeking a ruling from HMRC which is probably the best advice on this thread!

aly Guest

I'm sorry, but advice that person A has been given by HMRC in relation to facts that they have disclosed is only relevant to person A. As far as everyone else is concerned, it is hearsay. Or as HMRC put it themselves:
    so why should we take note from you, who we dont know from adam, more than someone that is in the same boat as the rest of us?...I am more likely to take notice who has claimed for the same thing as me, who has taken advice from hmrc for something that is claimable. Yes I know you are an accountant, but you are not mine and I know if a lot more accountants became members here you would probably have all conflicting advice betweent you....as it has happened. You disagree with certain things that say Ricksmiths accountant has said to claim for.....

As you said some things are hearsay so DebbieS and others have always said along the lines of....I would say yes you can claim for it, but I would check with HMRC.
    So you see, her word is not taken for what it is, she advises to ask hmrc so we do.

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've been reading this thread with interest. I like MrAnchovy's comments as he can link to websites and terminology and can back up this information. I would always check with anything but its interesting to know the whys and hows sometimes before making a decision
    Paula

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes some of us are more confident than others, some of us have years of experience behind us and if that means that people have confidence in what we are saying is that so wrong? Is that not what you yourself are expecting people to do. Respect your views because you are a professional with experience?
    For me I think the difference is that Mr Anchovy has experience in all matters tax and HMRC whilst we have experience in childcare!

No disrespect to anyone but there have been many times that someone on here with years of experience has given their advice and when I have checked (as I always do) it is wrong!

Mr Anchovy - I respect your views and I for one hope you stay around and continue to input into our forum

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    For me I think the difference is that Mr Anchovy has experience in all matters tax and HMRC whilst we have experience in childcare!

No disrespect to anyone but there have been many times that someone on here with years of experience has given their advice and when I have checked (as I always do) it is wrong!

Mr Anchovy - I respect your views and I for one hope you stay around and continue to input into our forum

You are quite right to check any advise given on here, no one will have difinative answers for everything. Nor does Mr A. yes is his an accountant dealing with tax problems all the time but not with Childminders and Tax issues are a mindfield even for the professionals. All I wanted to point out is that sometimes those who work in a particular field have more practical experience. I didn't say I didn't respect his views just that all out views should be considered as well.

aly Guest

You are quite right to check any advise given on here, no one will have difinative answers for everything. Nor does Mr A. yes is his an accountant dealing with tax problems all the time but not with Childminders and Tax issues are a mindfield even for the professionals. All I wanted to point out is that sometimes those who work in a particular field have more practical experience. I didn't say I didn't respect his views just that all out views should be considered as well.
    same here.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

so why should we take note from you, who we dont know from adam, more than someone that is in the same boat as the rest of us?...I am more likely to take notice who has claimed for the same thing as me, who has taken advice from hmrc for something that is claimable. Yes I know you are an accountant, but you are not mine and I know if a lot more accountants became members here you would probably have all conflicting advice betweent you....as it has happened. You disagree with certain things that say Ricksmiths accountant has said to claim for.....

As you said some things are hearsay so DebbieS and others have always said along the lines of....I would say yes you can claim for it, but I would check with HMRC.
    So you see, her word is not taken for what it is, she advises to ask hmrc so we do.

Well said.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel the tone of some of these posts go against the way we treat people on this Forum. It is possible that posts have not been intended to appear that way and in the heat of the moment and lack of 'smilies' things have come across as very terse. I think it would be a shame if Mr A was made to feel unwelcome here.

The main thing is with all 'advice' is, read it, digest it but at the end of the day it is up to the individual to ensure that it is correct for their situation by contacting HMRC armed with what they have been told.
    Pauline x

aly Guest

I'm sorry if my posts do seem to be like that pauline.

I dont always put smilies, especially when my brain is elsewhere...{trying to make a rugby ball paper mache, paint a puppy - not a real one , and design a welsh puppet}

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry if my posts do seem to be like that pauline.

I dont always put smilies, especially when my brain is elsewhere...{trying to make a rugby ball paper mache, paint a puppy - not a real one , and design a welsh puppet}
    I wasn't wanting to point out anyone in particular and I know what it is like when you are rushing, done it myself. That's the problem with written word it never conveys everything

Sounds like you are rather busy on your Sunday off! Can't wait to hear what the Welsh puppet is like I imagine a leek with face and arms
    Pauline x

aly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    I wasn't wanting to point out anyone in particular and I know what it is like when you are rushing, done it myself. That's the problem with written word it never conveys everything

Sounds like you are rather busy on your Sunday off! Can't wait to hear what the Welsh puppet is like I imagine a leek with face and arms
    last year I dressed a leek up in a rugby shirt...

i'm thinking of either a wooden spoon rugby player or tom jones....

aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Update on shed

Just got confirmation from my accountant in writing that yes i can claim the FULL amount for my shed for the materials and the joiner work - he asked various questions about it but 1 was would i take it with me if i moved house and also would i have built it if i was not childminding, answer No.

Delighted with this news as i had put the work on hold until i got confirmation through from accountant.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of getting a large shed/playhouse.
    Thanks for all of your replies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12