Default Re: Tax deductions

fantastic thank you

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Hi! I agree with Sarah. My accounts were submitted last night and I included a % of the TV. I also include £100 for shoes and trousers and tops for me. I have a stock of tee shirts and trousers I only wear for cm. The number of miles I walk with the mindees every year I wear out a pair of shoes!

You might find this document useful, it is the one which mentions that clothes cannot be claimed for.

<This document is now in the free downloads >
    Last edited by Pauline; 04-04-2011 at 02:53 PM.
    Pauline x

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

it does say on the link that you cannot claim for any clothing other than protective clothing - does this mean that the t-shirts and hoodys i purchase from Aramath with my logo on i cannot claim for?

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    You might find this document useful, it is the one which mentions that clothes cannot be claimed for.
    i always claim for clothes didnt realise we couldnt,

another sky question im afraid
    i have sky multi room so lo's can watch tv in the play room, if i wasnt childminding i wouldnt have multi room, so can i claim the £10 a month it costs me??? or even a % as ds sometimes watches tv in there?

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    CC 4's & 5's
    Post Thanks / Like

By the very nature of having you company logo in a top means if you were not a childminder you would not need it and so it is a legitimate company expense.

I will be putting my embroidered tops through.
    Me x

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mfrancesmo View Post
    By the very nature of having you company logo in a top means if you were not a childminder you would not need it and so it is a legitimate company expense.

I will be putting my embroidered tops through.
    Maybe they think we are wearing them outside of work hours I claim for mine and will continue to do so. I reckon I could put up a good fight if Mr taxman paid me a visit

I suppose you could always say you bought them for the children to wear and they sent the wrong size!

Post Thanks / Like

just want to say this is a Huge help Thankyou very much Sarah 707

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Sorry Im so thick and cannot get my head around this accounts business. I has a mindee 2 days a week (9hours each day) from end Jul to last week and this week just down to one day still 9 hours (then hes away for 1mnth)

So the 2 days I claim do I claim 4 % as under 20hours and oh I dont understand ... and I know someone is going to tell me its really easy and Im making it harder than it really is HHHHEEEEEELLLLPPPPPP !!!!!!!!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrie Louise View Post
    Hi

Sorry Im so thick and cannot get my head around this accounts business. I has a mindee 2 days a week (9hours each day) from end Jul to last week and this week just down to one day still 9 hours (then hes away for 1mnth)

So the 2 days I claim do I claim 4 % as under 20hours and oh I dont understand ... and I know someone is going to tell me its really easy and Im making it harder than it really is HHHHEEEEEELLLLPPPPPP !!!!!!!!!!
    You're not thick! It's really hard to get your head around.

I struggle with numbers as well, that's why I need it all written down in front of me!

Just tot up your bills for the month, tot up the hours yuo have worked and average it all out.

It's going to be a matter of pence when you think about it at 4% isn't it? So not worth getting worried about.

Hope this helps

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah

Feel like crying ..have never been good with maths and this is really getting to me. Going to leave it tonight and start Friday with a fresh head. Write everything down then work it out.....
    Have got envelopes now for each month to put all receipts in. Think Ive got myself in a tiz as got paperwork everywhere as things need changing in order for my to be happy about them. Off to do my obs instead.

def need a clear head for this task.

Your always there to help you deserve a medal

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone!

I have just posted my registration forms today and have been starting to feel a little overwhelmed from policies and procedures to the scary prospect of being self employed and doing my own books. After reading through this I just want to say a big big thank you to everyone that has posted on here, I see a few names over and over again, you really have made me feel a little bit more confident re the whole process because I now know there is a whole load of people here willing to help.

Thank you!!

No doubt I will be calling on your help v v shortly lol!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This was such a helpful find this morning as I am updating accounts, ready for tax return. Lots of things on the list i have not claimed for before!!

sarah can i just clarify, when you say claiming a percentage for things like say, Tv license or breakdown cover, do you claim this as a one off entry - so for Tv license, thats £142.50 a year thus a one off entry of 10% (if full time) of £14.25 or do you put something smaller in each month?

Just trying to get it all straight in ma head!!

and thanks for the list, have printed it off as a memory jogger!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dobby View Post
    This was such a helpful find this morning as I am updating accounts, ready for tax return. Lots of things on the list i have not claimed for before!!

sarah can i just clarify, when you say claiming a percentage for things like say, Tv license or breakdown cover, do you claim this as a one off entry - so for Tv license, thats £142.50 a year thus a one off entry of 10% (if full time) of £14.25 or do you put something smaller in each month?

Just trying to get it all straight in ma head!!

and thanks for the list, have printed it off as a memory jogger!
    There is a lot of controversy about the TV licence... personally I put it down as 10% of the total, for the year. I was told many years ago by a tax person that this was acceptable.

Others have been told they should not claim for it.

As it works out at about £14 a year, it hardly makes a difference in the grand scheme of things anyway, so I don't worry about it.

For most other things, it's the same really isn't it? If you are claiming at 10% of the total, it makes little difference if it's a week or a month or a year.

Do it however it's easiest for you.

hth

Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is such a useful list - thank you!

Reading it though, I've realised that I haven't kept receipts for cleaning products - does this mean I can't claim them.

If so, could I put them down at xxx per week at less than £10 and claim it that way?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Lisa

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leeloo1 View Post
    This is such a useful list - thank you!

Reading it though, I've realised that I haven't kept receipts for cleaning products - does this mean I can't claim them.

If so, could I put them down at xxx per week at less than £10 and claim it that way?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Lisa
    You don't need receipts for anything under £10 Lisa, so just put your cleaning products through one at a time

Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - cunning plan, will do!

I'm going to have a lot of bits for under £10 without receipts - do you think it'll matter?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leeloo1 View Post
    Thanks - cunning plan, will do!

I'm going to have a lot of bits for under £10 without receipts - do you think it'll matter?
    I am sure most of us do the same

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Hi! I agree with Sarah. My accounts were submitted last night and I included a % of the TV. I also include £100 for shoes and trousers and tops for me. I have a stock of tee shirts and trousers I only wear for cm. The number of miles I walk with the mindees every year I wear out a pair of shoes!
    I had the IR inspector in front of me and specifically tell me that you CANNOT claim anything for shoes as you need shoes whichever job you do.

You CANNOT claim your tv licence.

If you claim either of these in your return and are audited you WILL have to pay the tax portion claimed back and interest and penalties.

It is your responsbility to check these items out before claiming them.

Might be worth a call to your local tax office.
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBTeam View Post
    is the 40p a mile supposed to include the cost to keep the car on the road such as mot and insurance and service, as well as depreciation. the only way i thought you could claim then separately was when keeping full business accounts and not claiming 40p a mile, or you used the capital depreciation which is good when buying a new car.?
    Yes it does all get included in the .40p unless you due capital depreciation and then you can claim the business percentage of ALL costs relating to the car
    Debbie

TheBTeam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    I had the IR inspector in front of me and specifically tell me that you CANNOT claim anything for shoes as you need shoes whichever job you do.

You CANNOT claim your tv licence.

If you claim either of these in your return and are audited you WILL have to pay the tax portion claimed back and interest and penalties.

It is your responsbility to check these items out before claiming them.

Might be worth a call to your local tax office.
    Can you claim do you think for a waterproof coat because you have to walk to get the mindees from school, if you only had your own children you could fit in the car and would therefore not be walking?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast