how long do you keep records for?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how long do you keep records for?

Hi there all

I am new to site so fingers crossed i do this right!!! LOL!! Has anyone got a list of how long you keep records for?? I know you have to keep things like accident forms for a ridiculous amount of time - but can anyone be more specific??? Thank you

Oct '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: how long do you keep records for?

Quote Originally Posted by rubie View Post
    Hi there all

I am new to site so fingers crossed i do this right!!! LOL!! Has anyone got a list of how long you keep records for?? I know you have to keep things like accident forms for a ridiculous amount of time - but can anyone be more specific??? Thank you
    last i heard anything to do with the minded children has to be kept for 22 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    most other bits range from 5 - 15 yrs
    To the world you are one person, but to one person, you are the world.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I think it is something like 21yrs for insurance certs, accident and medication, and registers. Anything linked to Safeguarding Children because our mindees have a right to make abuse and negligence claims against us in their on right when they reach 18yrs. So we have to keep records for 5yrs after their 18th. If you have NCMA insurance it has the time on the reveerse of the insurance certificate. sorry can't be bothered to get up and take mine off the wall!

Financial records, accounts etc for 6yrs. I have boxes up in the loft with all my past records in.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you any ideas about how long to keep planning for and risk assessments?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No sorry. But not fof that long. I only keep mine as long as I have the child in my care and then just until the next Ofsted. Does that make sense?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are specific timescales noted in the Eyfs... these are different from the Childcare Register...

The Eyfs says - Records relating to individual children should be retained for a reasonable period of time (for example three years) after the children have left the provision.

The childcare register says - Childminders must keep records of the following and retain them for a period of two years (see section CR8).

For insurance purposes you must keep records about children for 21 and a half years as already stated.

The timescale for keeping complaints records also differs depending on whether it's Eyfs or childcare register.

There is no prescribed time for keeping risk assessments etc. I suppose as you update them then you will replace them.

Planning etc for individual children will come under the 3 and 2 years above, depending on the register.

Hth

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

so you better not have a big turn around or you'll have to explain to the tax man why you 're claiming for big yellow storage!!!!

surerly after 21yrs some of the ink must disasppear, ect.... and when i think that i can't find last year pay slip!!! dread dread dread