Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    future childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maternity Leave Help!

Hi Everyone,

My first post so go easy on me
    Its a long one i'm afraid so really hope its clear & makes sense!

I am due to have my third child and go on maternity leave at the end of the month & have sent off my claim for maternity allowance.

I stopped all my under 5s at Christmas & have just been doing a couple of hours after school with older ones since.
    I have a parent with a little girl (school age) who is struggling to find cover while i'm off & she's asking if theres anything I can do to help. I was hoping to take 9 months off as this is definitely my last!

I was wondering if you registered an assistant would they be able to work a couple of hours after school at my house so keep my business running without affecting my maternity benefit.
    Yes i'll be in the house but i'm not working. The kids just play together & have snack until collected.

What I had in mind was registering my mother in law who is local, always happy to help and wouldn't want paying. Plus all the kids know her as she comes round all the time & on days out with us etc. She could collect little girl and my son from school and stay until collected. She's never with me for more than 2 hours from school pick up time.

I've had assistants before so know all about informing ofsted, getting letter of suitability & parental permission so all being well my mother in law could have her unattended on the school run under the assistant rule.
    Is this ok or am I still technically classed as working anyway as I am the one always responsible for the children?
    If this is the case would I be better trying to link up with another qualified minder instead of going down the assistant route?

The issue I have is parent is in receipt of universal credit & provides my EY number & proof of payment. I could show my mother in law how to invoice no problem so i'm not actually doing any work.
    My concern is that the DWP will think i'm working still under my EY number as mum is still claiming & they will cancel my benefit or ask for it back?

I don't want to do anything I shouldn't & I don't want to lose my benefit as the money from the child isn't as much as that. Yet I also don't want to let the family down. She's been with me a long time & is settled so I want to help if I can but don't want to get myself into trouble.

I was wondering what others have done while on mat leave or if anyone else been in this situation & managed to work around it? Is there another option i'm missing? (other than just say no to parent!)
    Am I over thinking things?!

Any advice much appreciated.

Many thanks x

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You are entitled to 10 keeping in touch days.

The problem you have is your assistant cant work without you so in effect you would be classed as working. The parent woukd also have to pay you and its then has to be declared.

Would your mother in law be interested in being their babysitter and working from their house?
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are supervising your assistant you are working.
    So as Fussy said, finding a way for someone to babysit at their house would be better, or another minder.
    You want to help the family, but you have to be realistic- you need time off, minimum stress and no risk to your own registration/benefits. So, do what you can, but it is up to the family to find alternative care ultimately.
    I hope it all goes well xx

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh bless you. My immediate thought were ‘if the shoe was on the other mum’s foot and her employers asked her to work her maternity leave to ‘help’, I wonder what her answer would be?’
    Say ‘no’. You are entitled to have time off with your new baby and other children. You said it’s your last baby. You may regret it years later if you don’t. This mum will survive and maybe, as already suggested, ask your mum if she’d be willing to nanny for this family in their own home.
    Good luck. Please don’t feel guilty. Parents give notice all the time but it’s hard for us to do the same.

Non childminder member
    future childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I did think that would be the case but wanted to double check. My husband says i'm being too soft & need to just tell them I cant & the best I can do is try and find another minder. I feel so guilty letting people down.

I'll speak to mum this week. Thank you all again x