QUESTIONS regarding tax return (1st time...!)

Threaded View

Hollyhock Guest

Default QUESTIONS regarding tax return (1st time...!)

Hi,

I'm trying to sort out my very first tax return and, in spite of having read various very helpful guidelines, I still have a few questions. If any of you could answer some, I would be so grateful!
    I am using the fabulous worksheet by happytoddlers:

- how do I list all the purchases for which I don't have a receipt (e.g. bought on gumtree)?

- how precise do I need to list food expenses? Do I have to divide the cost of a pack of flour into portions of bread etc...?? (it seems silly to me, but it's the first time I'm doing this...)

- there are 3 shifts on the spreadsheet - is this possibly not relevant for everybody and if so, can I just use one of the three columns, and ignore the other two?

- in the column "receipt number", do I just number the receipts (1, 2, 3...) or do I have to enter some number that can be found on a receipt...? (I told you it's the first time I'm doing this!)

- where do I have to list the start-up grant money?

- do I have to list money I was given/lent by my friends and my parents?

- how do I list up the monthly rent (amongst expenses I assume, but what do I write into "receipt"? I don't get a receipt from my landlord, and I pay cash)?

- how do I lest wear and tear (I read it's 10% that we can claim)?

- the first sessions I was paid for in cash, and unfortunately didn't keep any records...will my (signed) attendance register suffice to show how many hours I was paid for?

- does the time spent cleaning up, planning, shopping, cooking and baking in preparation as well as paperwork count as work hours, or not? I found varying advice regarding this (I think in one of the HMRC webinars it was said that work time does include the above).

- I'm going to fill out the online tax return. Will I have to attach digital photographs of all the receipts??
    Last edited by Hollyhock; 11-01-2018 at 04:18 PM.