Newly registered, not yet working - tax return required??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Hollyhock Guest

Default Newly registered, not yet working - tax return required??

Hello,
    I've received my Ofsted certificate on the 3rd of January and haven't got any children lined up yet. I've had loads of expenses - my registration process started in April 2016 and it took until now to be completed.
    My question is, do I need to do a tax return - the deadline for which would be really soon, I heard -? I'm not yet registered with the HMRC.
    Would it be possible to wait until next tax year and then still add my expenses for setting up the business?
    I doubt I'd be able to work out a tax return in time for this year as I've never done one before...!
    Help will be greatly appreciated!

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hollyhock View Post
    Hello,
    I've received my Ofsted certificate on the 3rd of January and haven't got any children lined up yet. I've had loads of expenses - my registration process started in April 2016 and it took until now to be completed.
    My question is, do I need to do a tax return - the deadline for which would be really soon, I heard -? I'm not yet registered with the HMRC.
    Would it be possible to wait until next tax year and then still add my expenses for setting up the business?
    I doubt I'd be able to work out a tax return in time for this year as I've never done one before...!
    Help will be greatly appreciated!
    The deadline approaching is for the tax year 6 April 2015 to 5 April 2016.
    Expenses from April 2016 are in the following (current) tax year 6 April 2016 to 5 April 2017 and that deadline will be Jan 2018.

Hollyhock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    The deadline approaching is for the tax year 6 April 2015 to 5 April 2016.
    Expenses from April 2016 are in the following (current) tax year 6 April 2016 to 5 Aphril 2017 and that deadline will be Jan 2018.
    Really? Ah, thank you, thank you - you've made my day!