Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Accounts book

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Accounts book

Does anyone have a good accounts book they can recommend?
    I have the spreadsheet on my pc but get so behind as I only have time to switch the computer on every couple of weeks, I feel I need a book so I can write things in as and when not have to wait for a child-free time to get on the computer and update things,
    Thanks in advance

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I find the Pacey Accounts Book very straight forward and I write in it as soon as I have a receipt or money coming in, so I am never 'behind'.

3. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also use the Pacey account book and find it very straightforward and easy to use. I dedicate 15 mins every Saturday to write in my ins and outs :-)

5. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I also use pacey account book!
    Although I also have a weekly envelope that I write all expenses on plus milage and put receipts in. This I add up for the week and staple in my accounts book. I found the book was too big to have out all the time, whereas I have the envelope on the fridge!
    Each month I put income in and add up expenses.
    At the end of the year I work out all the %age expenses allowed.

7. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Would anyone mind posting a photo of a blank page so I can have a look? It's £17.50 as I'm not a member! A lot of money without seeing it!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    Would anyone mind posting a photo of a blank page so I can have a look? It's £17.50 as I'm not a member! A lot of money without seeing it!
    Do you know anyone who is a member who can get one for you (and maybe show you one in the flesh)? That is a lot to pay.

There is a lot to it, just showing the weekly page won't really tell the whole story- there are 5 weekly expenditure pages followed by a monthly accounts page x12, record of payments per child pages at the back, annual accounts page and then final annual summary statement of accounts which shows you what to write on your tax return.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds very comprehensive, will ask around and see if anyone is with them, only know a couple of other minders but worth an ask as 17.50 is so much!
    I'm with MM but don't know what their ones are like either but they're quite reasonable with my member discount!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds very comprehensive, will ask around and see if anyone is with them, only know a couple of other minders but worth an ask as 17.50 is so much!
    I'm with MM but don't know what their ones are like either but they're quite reasonable with my member discount!
    Yes, downside it there is a lot of repetition- you write it all out by hand and copy weekly totals over to monthly page and then monthly totals over to annual page. And if you claim a flat rate for meals that can be very repetitive writing it in every week per child.
    But I don't mind and I find it makes it really easy for me to see exactly what is what rather than an Excel sheet automatically populating fields and adding things up for me. I am more in control with it on paper, I find.
    I would like more columns on annual page and I do mileage annually not monthly so I have to add that in on annual page... but I just adapt with a pen and ruler!
    If you have a local childminding Facebook page someone there might be able to help you out with getting one or showing you one (or a MM one).

Simona Guest

Go to your local stationery shop and ask to see an 'accounts ledger'...that is what they are called
    They vary in price and size...the best are Collins...and the choice is very varied.

They would last you for years so worth comparing the cost...I started mine in 2011 and will take me to the end of 2015....it has 17 columns for entries and would have cost me less than £10 per year!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always used the Pacey Accounts Book and find it very straight forward.

It may seem expensive but £17.50 divided between the number of children you care for in a year and I think it is cheap