Council Tax
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Council Tax

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Council Tax


    I am trying to finalise my tax return for 2013/14, but only have 6 weeks to declare as I only became self employed in mid Feb

    Am I able to list costs of setup costs I incurred prior to being registered as self employed?

    Also when listing council tax as an expense, do people normally list the total for the year by 12, in which case I should work out 6 weeks

    or do you only list it when its paid, i.e. over 10 months and therefore nothing paid in Feb and March?

    hope that makes sense


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries



    You are able to list your set up costs - total the up and put them on one line as "start up costs". Keep the receipts in an envelope marked start up costs.

    You are entitled to claim a proportion of the council tax for the hours that you worked, even if you didn't actually pay due to the 10 month payment. Same with water if you are rated. Take the total for the year, divide by 52 to get the weekly amount then work out the percentage from there.

  3. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links


You can also find us on:
Council Tax Council Tax Council Tax

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of