Expenses........ So Tedious
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Expenses........ So Tedious

Hi All,

Am currently trying to sort the books out and wondering what others add in as expenses so that I don't miss anything.

Id be interested in seeing what type of things people list as it seems that every time I sit down and think about it, I think of something new.

Im trying to work out the toiletries/cleaning aspect at the moment and have had a mental block.

Im working on a fixed cost for Meals. Do people use a fixed Toiletries.Cleaning Figure?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I've also been thinking about all the additional expenses that I didn't put through my books last year as I didn't think it was significant. I can imagine that over the year it would all add up though. I imagine you could put through an amount of toilet paper, we go through 9 rolls a week here. Bleach, I'd usually only bleach my toilet once a week but bleach it every day now I childminding. Sun cream, toothpaste- a child brushes her teeth here. Snacks, I've never claimed snacks as an expense but 6 kids can eat quite a lot in the afternoon snack. I believe you can put through a percentage of ink cartridge costs, envelopes, paper. Texts and phone calls might be a business cost? As you say the more you think on it the more expenses you think of. I'll certainly be making sure I put through relevant expenses this year no matter how small the cost as it does add up!

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree and don't want to miss anything.

I'm putting through all ink costs as I use a specific printer solely for childminding and my other half has his own printer (being a photographer)

One of my concerns at the moment is that I bought a few things for childminding that I can't find receipts for

£49.99 travel cot/playpen
    £69.99 rugged camera

Etc

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an A4 diary with one page to one day and I write down everything.

I don't calculate a food cost but work the whole of my receipt, less any 100% expenses for my personal use, and divide it by the number of minddes and family members to give me a "per head" cost and this I multiply by the number of mindees. It takes 3 minutes maximum each week or if you have the same numbers it could be done monthly, quarterly or even annually. It is accurate to pricing at the time of purchase and you can calculate all your toiletries and cleaning in at the same time.
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna start doing that I think moving forwards. Problem is that I've not done it historically as toiletries/cleaning items all fall below the £10 individually so I didn't keep the receipts. I did jot down into the notepad on the laptop but then the hard drive failed so I've lost everything. I know HMRC allow reasonable estimates but I'm struggling to think what's reasonable.

It's only my first year so the books will become easier. As it stands I've not made much but it's looking like I'll be getting some extra minders so hopefully it becomes worthwhile lol

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE="Chatterbox Childcare;1367533"]I have an A4 diary with one page to one day and I write down everything. I don't calculate a food cost but work the whole of my receipt, less any 100% expenses for my personal use, and divide it by the number of minddes and family members to give me a "per head" cost and this I multiply by the number of mindees. It takes 3 minutes maximum each week or if you have the same numbers it could be done monthly, quarterly or even annually. It is accurate to pricing at the time of purchase and you can calculate all your toiletries and cleaning in at the same time.[/QUOTE

That's a great way of doing it thanks, I'll do that going forward.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    I have an A4 diary with one page to one day and I write down everything.

I don't calculate a food cost but work the whole of my receipt, less any 100% expenses for my personal use, and divide it by the number of minddes and family members to give me a "per head" cost and this I multiply by the number of mindees. It takes 3 minutes maximum each week or if you have the same numbers it could be done monthly, quarterly or even annually. It is accurate to pricing at the time of purchase and you can calculate all your toiletries and cleaning in at the same time.
    Can you talk me through this in stages? - say my shopping bill is £120, £20 is my own items - £100 is food and cleaning products (polish, bleach, cling film, cleaning liquid, anti bac spray) and toiletries (toilet roll, hand wash, wet wipes) there are just 2 adults now at my house, but I have 3 extra adults to tea on a Friday I look after 4 children on a Monday and 3 children each other day (don't work Thursday) I normally put through a set fee for each meal and 50% of cleaning products & toiletries but probably need a more accurate way of calculating without working out every ingredient that go into a home prepared cooked meal. Also with your way of doing things how do you adjust it if you have friends round for a meal at the weekend?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I do it in the cost of a school dinner (about £2 where I am), 50p per snack, £1.50 for a packed lunch and £1 for breakfast.

We were told to do that on our LA course, doubt its that accurate but it seems to even out, there's some kids that don't eat that amount but others that eat more!

Post Thanks / Like

I purchase childminding food etc in a separate bill. It works well for me this way as I don't have to go through the receipt with a fine tooth comb.

Post Thanks / Like

How about cleaning items & toiletries?
    Does anyone estimate on this?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Can you talk me through this in stages? - say my shopping bill is £120, £20 is my own items - £100 is food and cleaning products (polish, bleach, cling film, cleaning liquid, anti bac spray) and toiletries (toilet roll, hand wash, wet wipes) there are just 2 adults now at my house, but I have 3 extra adults to tea on a Friday I look after 4 children on a Monday and 3 children each other day (don't work Thursday) I normally put through a set fee for each meal and 50% of cleaning products & toiletries but probably need a more accurate way of calculating without working out every ingredient that go into a home prepared cooked meal. Also with your way of doing things how do you adjust it if you have friends round for a meal at the weekend?
    Are the children all the same through the week giving you a total of 4 different children? I would divide £100 by 7 (4 mindees plus 2 adults all the time and 1 adult for the Friday) and multiply by 4 = £57.14
    Debbie

12. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you lose a receipt, look at how you paid for it. Put a copy of your bank statement or credit card statement in your accounts, highlighting the purchases. The HMRC are looking for proof that you brought it so this would be fine instead of a receipt, sometimes better.

Phones - to claim your mobile and home phone you need to get an itemised bill each month and work out the business percentage. Again do this annually if you want to. I claim all of my mobile and none of my home but I have the paperwork to back this up.
    Debbie