Update from Pacey regarding claiming training with HMRC
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Simona Guest

I still have not had my previous question answered...nurseries and preschools will claim the cost of CPD for their employees...so why are Cms not entitled to claim for theirs?

We need this asked by those who represent us...whoever they are

2. Likes Koala liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post

What does surprise me is the setting up Training . How can that not be a legitimate expense because if you don't do it you are not going to be able to Register as a Childminder? A bit like saying to a Window cleaner you can't claim for your first ladder, bucket and cloth but any bought after that fine!!!
    I completely agree....this part makes no sense to me whatsoever. If the initial training isn't claimable then how can anything else be?! If we're saying that paediatric first aid and safeguarding, the things we HAVE to do to maintain our registration, can be claimed for once we're registered, where's the logic/justification in not being able to claim for them when setting up?! Confused.com!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Emra81 View Post
    I completely agree....this part makes no sense to me whatsoever. If the initial training isn't claimable then how can anything else be?! If we're saying that paediatric first aid and safeguarding, the things we HAVE to do to maintain our registration, can be claimed for once we're registered, where's the logic/justification in not being able to claim for them when setting up?! Confused.com!
    The initial training to register to become a CM used to be offered for free by the LA...is this not the case anymore?

CMs must do First Aid and CProtection before registration...is that not part of the LA package? maybe those who are currently registering can tell us about their experience
    CMs can also claim the grant for setting up...are LAs advertising this as it has been extended by the DfE.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Our borough used to offer the initial training free ( a few years ago). They found a lot of people attended all the free training , they did not actually register.

Now they charge.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I registered I was given £300 start up grant from the local authority, part of the money was for NCMA membership and toolkit, it was up to us what the rest of the money was spent on - I entered the money into my accounts as income received and then put my first aid training, doctors medical form, and equipment copy receipts through as expenses - I had to send the originals to LA to prove what I used money for.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    When I registered I was given £300 start up grant from the local authority, part of the money was for NCMA membership and toolkit, it was up to us what the rest of the money was spent on - I entered the money into my accounts as income received and then put my first aid training, doctors medical form, and equipment copy receipts through as expenses - I had to send the originals to LA to prove what I used money for.
    That is how it used to be...I did the same
    At the moment those who want to register have to go to their LA for initial briefings and training as FA and CP are still LAs approved (EYFS 2012)
    I cannot believe LAs are charging new CMs!!

From Sept those cms who want to register with an agency can approach the agency who will have a package and 'register' them at a cost of course but for independent CMs they cannot receive a registration visit by Ofsted until all training is in place

Has this changed? it is certainly very messy and needs addressing...so I am listening and reading all comments

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Still clear as mud to me.

So..You cannot claim the training expenses when getting the initial skills to set up as a childminder - I presume that agency minders will be able to put through their agency fee which covers these initial skills - but independent childminders cannot claim them.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    That is how it used to be...I did the same
    At the moment those who want to register have to go to their LA for initial briefings and training as FA and CP are still LAs approved (EYFS 2012)
    I cannot believe LAs are charging new CMs!!

From Sept those cms who want to register with an agency can approach the agency who will have a package and 'register' them at a cost of course but for independent CMs they cannot receive a registration visit by Ofsted until all training is in place

Has this changed? it is certainly very messy and needs addressing...so I am listening and reading all comments
    Simona the system changed in sept 13 and anyone wanting to register with Ofsted had to have their paperwork/courses done before they could even apply. Makes sense I think - weedles out the time wasters
    Debbie

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My compulsory start up course has cost me £295 via PACEY (Local Authority provider). I will have to pay an additional £50 to LA if I'm not working within 6 months. I had assumed that as it was an essential part of setting up the business it would be an allowable expense.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Lal;1363854]My compulsory start up course has cost me £295 via PACEY (Local Authority provider). I will have to pay an additional £50 to LA if I'm not working within 6 months. I had assumed that as it was an essential part of setting up the business it would be an allowable expense. [

Depends which way your record the guidance but to me I would put it all down as start up costs
    Debbie

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    Simona the system changed in sept 13 and anyone wanting to register with Ofsted had to have their paperwork/courses done before they could even apply. Makes sense I think - weedles out the time wasters
    I agree and I am aware that those who register have to do the courses before their Ofsted visit...I am clear on that as it is in the current EYFS and agree with it totally
    I am trying to understand how much is the amount it costs cms to register via the LA and why it cannot be put through their books once they start operating

Will go and ask a few questions

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Simona and everyone else,

I started registration early last year and this is what I have had to pay out to become a childminder upto now:
    £35.00 Ofsted registration fee
    £104.20 Dbs fee (mine and my son's) I just missed out on the La paying for it has it changed in July you paid yourselfand I only started the registration application in August.
    £40.00 Paediatric First Aid course.
    £50.00 Doctors fee for medical.
    £35.00 ICO

Some of the above I know everyone had to pay for themselves, the ICO I don't see how they justify the costs.
    I already had 3 DBS enhanced checks because of my previous employment, ridiculous I had to have one done everytime I changed jobs in the same building to work with children I was already around.

Since coming into childminding from my point of view the government just want everything to cost too much to set up alone and merely force people to Agency's, from my experience once they have an agenda they manipulate everything to work to their advantage. When they have consultations it is just another ploy to pretend to be interested in the views and concerns of others and to humour us, they really couldn't care less as things will become the way they want it regardless.

I have read many updates and posts on here about concerns raised at meetings with Truss and the crew and as pointed out the media smoke screen everything to look like we are all in favour of the changes.
    Sometimes I think Ofsted inspections are part of their big plan to force us to agencies also, strange how outstanding childminders are suddenly being downgraded for such trivial things as not having a print rich environment etc.

Just my opinion but as I say I have read a lot on here and reading between the lines I think maybe this is why we cannot claim for certain courses yet nurseries etc, can.
    Shame we don't still have Tony Wilson around and his TV live debates to get the real picture across.

14. Likes Koala, sarah707 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I started registration last October.

I had to pay my LA £100 for a 3 day course over a 3 week period. This included safeguarding training. We were told about the grant and that its to use as we wish but can only be claimed once you have your certificate.

On the course we were told to claim the cost of the course and travel expenses. We were also told we were lucky as the following group who would have been trained this Apr will be paying £150 for the same course.

I've had to pay for my DBS's for both my husband and I even though I had an enhanced one in may. (I'm slightly confused why it has to be a specific company. Surely an enhanced check is the same no matter who you pay.)

My health dec my ofsted fee and everything else that goes along.

I've worked out that by the time I finally get an income at the end of July I'm likely to have spent nearly £1000 with double pushchair and everything.

Not to add that in oct I was told I should be able to start working in February when I didn't get my pre-reg until beginning of april (dbs delay) and my cert came first week of may. With all the delays I held off advertising until I had my pre-reg booked. Hence why no one starting until July

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    Simona and everyone else,

I started registration early last year and this is what I have had to pay out to become a childminder upto now:
    £35.00 Ofsted registration fee
    £104.20 Dbs fee (mine and my son's) I just missed out on the La paying for it has it changed in July you paid yourselfand I only started the registration application in August.
    £40.00 Paediatric First Aid course.
    £50.00 Doctors fee for medical.
    £35.00 ICO

Some of the above I know everyone had to pay for themselves, the ICO I don't see how they justify the costs.
    I already had 3 DBS enhanced checks because of my previous employment, ridiculous I had to have one done everytime I changed jobs in the same building to work with children I was already around.

Since coming into childminding from my point of view the government just want everything to cost too much to set up alone and merely force people to Agency's, from my experience once they have an agenda they manipulate everything to work to their advantage. When they have consultations it is just another ploy to pretend to be interested in the views and concerns of others and to humour us, they really couldn't care less as things will become the way they want it regardless.

I have read many updates and posts on here about concerns raised at meetings with Truss and the crew and as pointed out the media smoke screen everything to look like we are all in favour of the changes.
    Sometimes I think Ofsted inspections are part of their big plan to force us to agencies also, strange how outstanding childminders are suddenly being downgraded for such trivial things as not having a print rich environment etc.

Just my opinion but as I say I have read a lot on here and reading between the lines I think maybe this is why we cannot claim for certain courses yet nurseries etc, can.
    Shame we don't still have Tony Wilson around and his TV live debates to get the real picture across.
    Thank you for sharing the info...very useful
    I hope you have applied for the CM 'start up' grant...it has been extended until Dec 2014 I believe...it is not much but better than nothing.

The costs of registration for independent CMs will soar I am sure but we still don't know how much it will cost to register via an agency...that would be useful to hear about so we can compare

I have always said we have been concentrating on agencies so much ...we seem to have forgotten that ICMs are still the huge majority....we need answers but we may have to wait a bit longer for those

mar 03
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you claim this - is it the cost of the course to you in money or the time you spend training ? X

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntym View Post
    How do you claim this - is it the cost of the course to you in money or the time you spend training ? X
    I'm sorry - I did Laugh when you asked if you got paid for your time!! No such luck, the time you give is paid with love for the job and all the thanks you get from ??????

I think you claim through the your local authority Generally the department that help! you register

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

No I didn't get the grant simona but will be looking into now you've mentioned it.
    Thanks

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    No I didn't get the grant simona but will be looking into now you've mentioned it.
    Thanks
    The info is all here on the DfE website
    There is also another link that tells you how to apply

https://www.gov.uk/government/polici...ciety/activity

Auntym....you claim the grant for starting your business and to cover some of the costs of your training and set up
    Think of it as an investment as you are setting up your own business...if you have an accountant seek advice on starting up costs

Don't forget to also approach your LA and ask if they have any financial incentives for new childcare businesses especially if you wish to draw funding for 2 year olds or children with disabilities

Good luck and ...claim what you are entitled to

Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just read this with interest as I'm about to embark on an online CYPW Level 3 which , as self funded, will cost upwards of £1,000, and which I'm expecting to claim as CPD because 1) I wouldn't be doing it at all if I wasn't childminding,2) I'll be applying the knowledge and expertise gained (hopefully) to improve my practice, and 3) it seems ridiculous NOT to be able to claim it as a legitimate expense when others would happily claim the cost of a tea bag if it was used during the course of a minding day...!
    There also seems to be confusion about whether we can claim hours spent on necessary paperwork...can anyone please shed any light on this one?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always been told no. Call the HMRC or your accountant for confirmation.
    Debbie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12