Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Car expenses

Post Thanks / Like

Default Car expenses

Hi all
    I was hoping for some help.
    I was told I could claim for repairs to my car .
    How much of it? It cost me 700 ish within a 6 month period ( I know don't get me started on that!) to fix have all receipt etc
    How much of that can I claim for?

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It depends on what method you are using to claim car expenses:-

If you are using the 45p a mile method that includes all wear and tear, petrol, servicing, repairs etc so you cannot claim anything else car related.

If you are claiming a percentage of all expenses/cost of car then you can claim an proportion of the bill to the childminding/private use - this way you claim a percentage of the value of the car based on depreciation (about 7% of value I think). You need to keep a record of all mileages used for work & personal over the year and then work out what percentage of mileage is personal/business use over the year and then divide all bills by this percentage to get the business expenses. You need to keep all receipts in your accounts to do with the car.

Whichever method you choose you cannot change it until you change car.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When did you purchase the car? If it was before 01.04.13 then you will have to continue with the .45p a mile or written down value that you claimed in 12/13 return but if it was after you have a choice.

If .45p no claim for anything else apart from valeting, interest on loans but if on CDV you can claim the business percentage which will be calculated at the end of your 14/15 financial year.
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just changed my car and have a new one, well 10mths old but new for me, delivered yesterday.

I intend to keep a record of my mileage for the year and of all the car expenses so purchase price, insurance, car tax, loan costs, servicing, petrol, cleaning (it has been given a special finish, Autoglym inside and out to make it child proof lol! my trusty car dealers suggestion I wouldn't have had it done for me!).

I will then see which way is the best to claim for my car.

5. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post