Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Garden not safe for mindees

Hi we moved house in December and now the weather is nicer we have been getting out more in the garden, buts just not very safe for the mindee's.

It's fine for my children as they older but a nightmare for the younger ones, it's covered in shingle and has an uneven/broken paving slabs over the patio area.

We want to replace the patio and replace the shingle with artificial grass so the children can a) be safe and b) use it all year.

As a family we will still be using it too at weekends but if I wasn't childminding it would be the last thing I would be spending money on but because its not safe we have to get it sorted ASAP.

Can I put it through my expenses?

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking back over old posts by mr anchovy you can claim for maintenance but not capital costs such as replacement or adding a new feature.
    So the removal of shingle would be maintainace but the new fake grass would be a new feature so not able to claim for.

Best thing to do is contact hmrc yourself and get proper guidance then post it on here so everyone else can benefit from some upto sat advice,

3. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicadooby View Post
    Hi we moved house in December and now the weather is nicer we have been getting out more in the garden, buts just not very safe for the mindee's.

It's fine for my children as they older but a nightmare for the younger ones, it's covered in shingle and has an uneven/broken paving slabs over the patio area.

We want to replace the patio and replace the shingle with artificial grass so the children can a) be safe and b) use it all year.

As a family we will still be using it too at weekends but if I wasn't childminding it would be the last thing I would be spending money on but because its not safe we have to get it sorted ASAP.

Can I put it through my expenses?
    I'd love to know this too as garden here not safe either x

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

So maybe repairing/making good the patio would be classed as mantanice but changing the shingle to artificial grass would be classed as something new.

The patio is the main thing that needs sorting anyway.

6. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE... After being on hold for over 20 mins and speaking to two people about this the answer us they don't know????

They suggested I write in to ask an inspector to get an answer, this is when I realised I know a tax inspector