Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default On-line Tax Return

Hello, I have completed my on-line Tax Return for the first time but am still a bit confused.

I use the Pacey Accounts Book to log my expenses. When completing the HMRC online Tax Return expenses section I thought it would list the expenses similar to how they are listed in the accounts book but it looked nothing like it. Eg. There was no expenses column for "food". Lots of the expenses were further broken down to " Stationery" "Professional fees". I'm worried I might have filled a wrong form.

I did follow the instructions and say I wanted to fill self employed persons tax return. The system confirmed form successfully completed but i'm still wondering if I filled the correct form.

Can anyone confirm if what I filled sound right or wrong?

Help appreciated.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

3 figures - income - outgoings = net.

Accounts books help you to calculate outgoings which you then lump together

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tweetybird View Post
    Hello, I have completed my on-line Tax Return for the first time but am still a bit confused.

I use the Pacey Accounts Book to log my expenses. When completing the HMRC online Tax Return expenses section I thought it would list the expenses similar to how they are listed in the accounts book but it looked nothing like it. Eg. There was no expenses column for "food". Lots of the expenses were further broken down to " Stationery" "Professional fees". I'm worried I might have filled a wrong form.

I did follow the instructions and say I wanted to fill self employed persons tax return. The system confirmed form successfully completed but i'm still wondering if I filled the correct form.

Can anyone confirm if what I filled sound right or wrong?

Help appreciated.
    I don't do accounts online and never have so not sure how judge it right or wrong but if you are worried ring the IR and tell them it was the 1st time you did it...I am sure they would contact you if anything was wrong?

Yes as said below Income - expenses = Net profit but do not forget to deduct your Tax Free Allowances

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do mine on line and put my expenses in as one total, did you do the long or short return, the short one is the one I do and I can't remember columns like you say on yours did you do the long one?
    Cath

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cathtee View Post
    I do mine on line and put my expenses in as one total, did you do the long or short return, the short one is the one I do and I can't remember columns like you say on yours did you do the long one?
    Agree with Cathtee sounds like you did the long version of the form not the short version.

Jan 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default On-line Tax Return

Thank You all for getting back to me. I started reading the replies with one eye closed.
    It seems I must have done the Long Form as that could never be the Short Form. I feel a bit more relaxed now as you all relate to adding expense together to enter one lump sum Expenses. (I remember doing that).

However I didn't see any indicators for long or short form. (I'll look closer next time round). As you say, Simona, if there was a problem they would have most likely called me by now. I may give them a call tomorrow just to make sure it's ok (fingers crossed as I wouldn't want to be re-doing anything - i've already exhaled .

Thank you all again for your help

Regards