Please help, I am really confused... class 4 NIC?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please help, I am really confused... class 4 NIC?

So I have gone on line to check through all my taxes and NI

It says I am paying for class 4 NI but when I look up about it, it says...

"The amount of Class 4 National Insurance contributions you have to pay for any tax year is based on your profits for that year. You pay 9 per cent on annual profits between £7,755 and £41,450 (2013-14) and 2 per cent on any profit over that amount."

But then it says total income in which tax has been charged is £1,866 and for NI £2,366?

I am really confused, can someone please help me make sense of this. I am currently sat on hold to HMRC been waiting for AGES!!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    So I have gone on line to check through all my taxes and NI

It says I am paying for class 4 NI but when I look up about it, it says...

"The amount of Class 4 National Insurance contributions you have to pay for any tax year is based on your profits for that year. You pay 9 per cent on annual profits between £7,755 and £41,450 (2013-14) and 2 per cent on any profit over that amount."

But then it says total income in which tax has been charged is £1,866 and for NI £2,366?

I am really confused, can someone please help me make sense of this. I am currently sat on hold to HMRC been waiting for AGES!!
    I take it you have earned overed £7,605 pounds after expences? If yes, then I believe that tax and NI thresholds are different amounts, so for 2012/20313 the thresholds were:
    NI = £7,605
    Tax = £8,105

So the amount you earned over the above thresholds is what you would get taxed and NI on

hence the difference in the two figures

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When it comes NI I don't have a clue. I do my taxes and pay what they ask for, normally it includes extra NI. Otherwise it gets taken out of my bank once a month!