Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do i need to do invoices?

One my friends a CM has had a parents ask for invoices for the past years so his accountant can close his end of year???
    She doesn't do invoices I do but do we need to do invoices? we both always do receipts and im puzzles why hes needs them for his accountant?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A receipt is better than an invoice as it shows that the money has been requested and paid. Don't know why this person is claiming childcare through their accounts I didn't think you could do that. I have a set of parents who are both self employed and I have given them details on how they can register their company with a company who does childcare vouchers but haven't ever heard of invoices being put directly through the books!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it will be as proof of earnings. I do do invoices but email them to parents. Each child has their own file on the computer with an invoice for each month. I keep these but I also have a electronic register with all children's days and times of attendance with how much I have been paid. This serves as my totals for income for the year and my accountant is happy with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Just read that wrong sorry. It could be if they are claiming tax credits. If the parents leave all their financial arrangements to their accountant then the accountant will need to see invoices from a childminder so they know and can prove how much they are paying out weekly, monthly etc to fill out tax credit forms. This is quite common. It does not mean they are putting the cost of child through their business. x

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do invoices, just receipts for any fees paid in cash. If a parent requested one though I would

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do monthly invoices and email them to parents and print a copy off myself for my tax files but I don't think there is a legal obligation to do so
    Debbie

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you. shes going to back date some invoices and make sure she does them from no on for these parents. Shes just not very good with computers so I have pointed her in the right direction x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I just use a large duplicate book and do hand written invoices/receipts each month! Works for me. I'm not that great on a computer so all my records are on paper. Whatever works for you is the way I see it. But all parents who claim tax credits will need proof of what they paid, and sometimes, I think, self employed people can claim their childcare back as a tax deductable expense so will also need proof. I give an end of year receipt to all my parents stating what they have paid during that tax year.

Dec 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ali56 View Post
    I just use a large duplicate book and do hand written invoices/receipts each month! Works for me. I'm not that great on a computer so all my records are on paper. Whatever works for you is the way I see it. But all parents who claim tax credits will need proof of what they paid, and sometimes, I think, self employed people can claim their childcare back as a tax deductable expense so will also need proof. I give an end of year receipt to all my parents stating what they have paid during that tax year.
    I give paper or email a monthly invoice then a receipt from a shop bought receipt book. One of the parents who claims tax credits always loses hers and always requests a letter the day before the deadline for her form to be handed in. An end of year receipt is a great idea, although she would probably lose that as well.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do invoices because my monthly fee is in the parents Contract so there is no need. If for some reason like this week when I have to go, at short notice to a funeral and I need the day off as it is in Bath a 2 hour drive away and at 2 in the afternoon, I will not charge for the day so I will take the fee off Octobers fees. I will give the parents a week before payment is due to remind them to take the correct amount off their bill. I then give a receipt.

It actually states in the pacey Contracts that you should give a receipt.

I use the pacey Accounts book which has a page a parent in the back where the fees are recorded each month and we both sign it. It records the fees for the financial year. If a parent is on take credits and can't find their receipts I just copy this page and give it to them, easy.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 27-07-2013 at 05:54 PM.