Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: mileage costs

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default mileage costs

Hi, doing my tax return for 1st time, can anyone tell me how much per mile I can claim? Bought something off Ebay that says its 45p per mile but have also seen other stuff that says it's 40p. Thanks in advance.

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Murdockg View Post
    Hi, doing my tax return for 1st time, can anyone tell me how much per mile I can claim? Bought something off Ebay that says its 45p per mile but have also seen other stuff that says it's 40p. Thanks in advance.
    It's 45p per mile.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There are 2 ways to calculate this:-
    • 'authorised mileage rate' method = 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles, 25p per mile beyond that, for a standard car/van.
    • 'actual cost' method. Involves more record-keeping but might save you money if you don't mind the additional time and organisation.

It's well worth figuring out which is the best method to use in the long run, cos once you adopt one method you must use the same method every year for the life of the vehicle. The forum has something of a resident accounts expert (MrAnchovy) and hopefully he'll pick up on your thread to give far better advice than I can.

Tbh, I wouldn't be relying on something I saw on eBay. In any case, you're paying for something that may be inaccurate, will need replacing each year, and you can get something better for free.

Call the HMRC Business Education & Support Team on 0114 29 69 431. Ask them to send you a free copy of "Childminders - information about tax and National Insurance 2012-13". Then make a note in next year's diary to get the new version before doing your next tax return. This helps with most areas of tax and NI.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It is .45p plus another .05p for any time you have a colleague/assistant with you - NOT children
    Debbie

Dec 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Fab. Thanks a million!

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

it was 40p per mile, but went up to 45p per mile from this year (I think - but time does fly round!!!)

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    it was 40p per mile, but went up to 45p per mile from this year (I think - but time does fly round!!!)
    It went up to 45p from April 2011, which was also the first time that the self employed could claim the additional 5p for an "employee or associate" passenger.