Likes Likes:  51
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Book keeping excel Workbook UPDATED

Hi All!

I recently started childminding and found that the book keeping has been a bit of a headache. Although the NCMA forms are a good starting point, I did find that there was a lot of repetition on entries and endless flicking through pages of weekly accounts / totals / this and that...
    So last night I decided to create this in excel in a format that is useful and does all the calculations for heating/lighting, Council tax, Water etc... by proportioning your weekly hours with the guidelines stated by the HMRC. It also calculates the end-of-year accounts on the fly and gives a profit/loss graph. I certainly think this will save me a lot of time (of which I just didn't have!) and make the tax return a lot easier.

Feel free to use it although you may want to check my calculations. I've locked the cells that you don't need (shouldn't) change because they're calculated for you. I've coloured the cells in blue which are the ones you can alter.
    Hope someone finds this useful!

Thanks,

Hayley

<Note from admin - See post 88 in this thread for the latest spreadsheet 2014/15>
    Last edited by Rick; 29-03-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

That spreadsheet looks good happytoddlers, although note that the calculations for part-time hours for heat/light etc. don't have to be that complicated - you can just add up your total hours for the year and divide by 52 to get the average number of hours per week. This usually works out better because weeks you work over 40 hours make up for some time on weeks you are on holiday etc.

3. Likes k1rstie, MaryMary, Bluebell liked this post
    Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, a lot of work went into that! I already use a commercially produced excel sheet that I purchased some years ago and its not far off what you have produced to be honest. And yours is free! I hope people find it useful.

I noticed you are numbering receipts for items under £10, as childminder's we don't need to keep those ones but there is no harm in doing so if you wish.

5. Likes Susana0600 liked this post
    June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments! Great point regarding the hours worked, using an average would be far easier and a financial benefit especially as I've capped the percentage in the spreadsheet. As I'm new to this I have perhaps gone further than I need to so it's good to hear where the complexity can be cut down.

Thanks all!

Hayley

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnchovy View Post
    That spreadsheet looks good happytoddlers, although note that the calculations for part-time hours for heat/light etc. don't have to be that complicated - you can just add up your total hours for the year and divide by 52 to get the average number of hours per week. This usually works out better because weeks you work over 40 hours make up for some time on weeks you are on holiday etc.
    now why didn't I think of that!!!!!!!!
    boo

Post Thanks / Like

I might have to have a go with this, mine cause me such a headache!!
    Owners of a lovely 2 bedroom holiday cottage www.thecottagegillamoor.co.uk

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Book keeping excel Workbook

WOW this is so good, I keep excel lists for income and another for expenditure then have to total them all together, this is lovely, all in one place.
    Thank you so much for sharing...

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done looks fab.

I have done my own too. I have so far changed it each tax year slightly to make it easier to read etc. For example I decided I didn't like having the workings out of things like mileage and food all on the same sheet so created a separate sheet which just takes the total for each month back to the added up expenses bit making it look a bit tidier for me. I used to have everything squashed in the same bit.

Thanks Mr A - I think I will now create another page to do my bills rather than working it out every month as well!

One day I will be happy with what I've got LOL!

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default bookkeeping excel work book - invoice template

I was really impressed with your work book and now having begun to use it, it is just such a time saver. Thank you much for sharing this.

So I wondered if anyone would be interested in this invoice that I used for a client who used different days and times over the week, then none the next week, really erratic hours. You can use it as an attendance record as well, and it calculates to the minute if you want it to, with two different hourly rates if needed.. I hope it is useful to someone.

I hope it has attached, I have been trying to work it out for ages....I am a complete newbie at all this internet stuff, so please bear with me.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum24 View Post
    I was really impressed with your work book and now having begun to use it, it is just such a time saver. Thank you much for sharing this.

So I wondered if anyone would be interested in this invoice that I used for a client who used different days and times over the week, then none the next week, really erratic hours. You can use it as an attendance record as well, and it calculates to the minute if you want it to, with two different hourly rates if needed.. I hope it is useful to someone.

I hope it has attached, I have been trying to work it out for ages....I am a complete newbie at all this internet stuff, so please bear with me.
    I would be interested - although, no it hasn't attached - maybe cos you only have new member access?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just spend an hour setting up a spread sheet similar to NCMA accounts book as fed up of the repetition of doing everything weekly and adding up manually - then I found your spread sheet - guess I just wasted an hour, thank you so much for making your hard work open to all it looks fantastic.

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing, it looks really good.

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Hayley,

I don't seem to be able to get your link to work for the spreadsheet? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Karen

MAY 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default me too...

Liek karen above i cannot seem to open the link i get a 404 error!

June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the broken link. Can't fix it at the moment. Please email me if you'd like the spreadsheet and I'll email it back. email hayley(at)happytoddlers(dot)co(dot)uk.

Thanks

June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Link Fixed

Link now fixed...

Any comments or addition suggestions then please let me know!

Thanks!

<Note from admin - See post 23 in this thread for the latest spreadsheet>
    Last edited by sarah707; 19-10-2012 at 07:21 AM.

June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amended Book Keeping Spreadsheet....

Can't stand doing accounts??...

Here is an amended Book Keeping spreadsheet for anyone interested. This does all I need for the accounts and has saved me huge amounts of time.
    Differences from the previous version are: More space for expenses and now calculates mileage costs from pence/mile.
    Comments welcome...

Thanks!

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

you can just add up your total hours for the year and divide by 52 to get the average number of hours per week. This usually works out better because weeks you work over 40 hours make up for some time on weeks you are on holiday etc

Is this really true?

As many childminders often work 50 hours + per week, this idea could add up to a lot of extra expenditure, so a reduction in tax to be paid

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

Well there is no official way of doing it so HMRC could always challenge it in an inquiry, but I doubt they could come up with a fairer way.

I think you may be overestimating the effect of this though, you can still only claim a maximum 33%/10% of the appropriate expenses even if you average over 40 hours per week.

22. Likes k1rstie liked this post
    June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Version 3 of the Book keeping excel sheet - Averaging hours per week over the year

Hi all,

I like the idea of averaging hours per week over the year so the utility bill portion isn't capped at 40 hours/wk. Here is the spreadsheet with this modification.....

<Note from admin - See post 23 in this thread for the latest spreadsheet>
    Last edited by sarah707; 19-10-2012 at 07:28 AM.

24. Likes lilac_dragon liked this post

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast