Book keeping excel Workbook UPDATED
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  51
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Capital Allowance

This sheet is great - but I have a question for my first year of accounts

Do you insert capital allowance purchases in the months as you go, or keep them separate for end of year fill in on HMRC website?

Thanks in advance everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you place capital allowance expenses on the spreadsheet?

Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Francis View Post
    Where do you place capital allowance expenses on the spreadsheet?
    Hi Steve, I just add them as I go as an expense. The spreadsheet totals them up for you for the claim at the end of the tax year.

Thanks!

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    becoming childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Was looking for something like this, brilliant sheet, however i am having trouble opening the 2015-2016 file. i have managed to open the 2014-2015. I believe the reason is because i have excel 2003 saved on my computer. Can you please advice if there is a way around this or i will just have to save the 2014-2015 and change the dates..

many thanks

June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Thanks for the interest in the worksheet. No problem, I've uploaded a version to work with Excel 97 - 2003 so hopefully this will work ok. It's on this page for download:

Childminding Accounts Worksheet Download - Home

and just select the 2nd link.

Hope this help

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by brightstars2015 View Post
    Hi
    Was looking for something like this, brilliant sheet, however i am having trouble opening the 2015-2016 file. i have managed to open the 2014-2015. I believe the reason is because i have excel 2003 saved on my computer. Can you please advice if there is a way around this or i will just have to save the 2014-2015 and change the dates..

many thanks

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    becoming childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by happytoddlers View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the interest in the worksheet. No problem, I've uploaded a version to work with Excel 97 - 2003 so hopefully this will work ok. It's on this page for download:

Hope this help

Thanks.
    Hi
    You are a STAR! thank you, a life saver.

thanks

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for this, I've got my first mindee starting tomorrow and was starting to panic about the accounts, I have now calmed down, you're a lifesaver!

8. Likes Rick liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to be a pain but does anyone know where I would put rent in the spreadsheet? Would I put it down as a shared cost and then work out the proportion that I can claim? TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hours problem

HI first of all I would like to say a big thank you, I have used your books for the previous year and this year. But I just wondered if you can help me as I have just noticed that on the front page where it calculates everything my weekly hours are not showing up from June onwards... do you know what this could be? thank you I hope you can help.

Kirsty

Oct 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Hope this help

Thanks.
    This is amazing thank you so much from a Newbie on here and to Child minding!! This will be a life saver as I get on my feet!!!

June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsty Mapes View Post
    HI first of all I would like to say a big thank you, I have used your books for the previous year and this year. But I just wondered if you can help me as I have just noticed that on the front page where it calculates everything my weekly hours are not showing up from June onwards... do you know what this could be? thank you I hope you can help.

Kirsty
    So sorry I've only just seen this message. The issue you've found is known and can be fixed.. see Childminding Accounts Worksheet Download - Home and see the bottom of the page. If you're worried about doing the update then please feel free to PM me and I'll do the update for you.

Thanks!

Jun 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No idea at all!

Hi This is amazing what you are doing for fellow childminders and I admire the support and advice you are giving everyone.
    My problem may be staring me in the face but I do not find your sheets to be as easy as everyone is saying. I have been using the Pacey account books for the last couple of years and they are a drag with all the math that my brain has to figure out. So your sheets sound great but I don't understand them so well.
    There seems to be just a summary sheet for the whole month/year and no where to actually enter the daily expenses. (food, toys, outings ect)
    Am I missing a link?
    I would be very grateful if you could help me out as I am hoping to that my life can be made a lot easier like you have made others.
    Thanks a million for your time and help.

Pippa S

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    This looks great and something ive been looking at getting sorted for a long time..however I cant work out a few things..

Your council tax for example shows as £150..do I put my actual council tax amount per month in that box?

The hours worked I put in as 40 but its changing them to 960?!

I haven't got any further as wanted to see what I was doing wrong!!

Thanks

June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Pippa,

Thanks for the message and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. For entering in the expenses etc., you need to click on the relevant month tabs along the bottom. Can you please tell me which software you are using? Excel, Libre, OpenOffice? Feel free to private message me.

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pippa Saines View Post
    Hi This is amazing what you are doing for fellow childminders and I admire the support and advice you are giving everyone.
    My problem may be staring me in the face but I do not find your sheets to be as easy as everyone is saying. I have been using the Pacey account books for the last couple of years and they are a drag with all the math that my brain has to figure out. So your sheets sound great but I don't understand them so well.
    There seems to be just a summary sheet for the whole month/year and no where to actually enter the daily expenses. (food, toys, outings ect)
    Am I missing a link?
    I would be very grateful if you could help me out as I am hoping to that my life can be made a lot easier like you have made others.
    Thanks a million for your time and help.

Pippa S

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a question I've been meaning to ask and I did my tax return a couple of days ago so have finished the accounts and need to print them all to file away
    Is there an easy way to get them to print out and not spread over several pages? I'm using libre office and have tried changing page orientation and have made margins smaller but can't delete the empty columns and if I pick shrink to fit page it doesn't seem to make any difference.
    It's the 2014/2015 I'm trying to print, and probably missing something obvious!

June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

It's a good point. The layout of the sheets isn't ideal for printing. I think this should be a priority for the 2016-17 worksheet. feel free to email your final worksheet to me at msn@horrod.com and I'll convert it to pdf which will print out better.

thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    I have a question I've been meaning to ask and I did my tax return a couple of days ago so have finished the accounts and need to print them all to file away
    Is there an easy way to get them to print out and not spread over several pages? I'm using libre office and have tried changing page orientation and have made margins smaller but can't delete the empty columns and if I pick shrink to fit page it doesn't seem to make any difference.
    It's the 2014/2015 I'm trying to print, and probably missing something obvious!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All!

I recently started childminding and found that the book keeping has been a bit of a headache. Although the NCMA forms are a good starting point, I did find that there was a lot of repetition on entries and endless flicking through pages of weekly accounts / totals / this and that...
    So last night I decided to create this in excel in a format that is useful and does all the calculations for heating/lighting, Council tax, Water etc... by proportioning your weekly hours with the guidelines stated by the HMRC. It also calculates the end-of-year accounts on the fly and gives a profit/loss graph. I certainly think this will save me a lot of time (of which I just didn't have!) and make the tax return a lot easier.

Feel free to use it although you may want to check my calculations. I've locked the cells that you don't need (shouldn't) change because they're calculated for you. I've coloured the cells in blue which are the ones you can alter.
    Hope someone finds this useful!

Thanks,

Hayley

<Note from admin - See post 88 in this thread for the latest spreadsheet 2014/15>
    hi there

Just started childminding business and came across this very amazing tool and was wandering where do i (record)put expenses that i have made prior starting childminding(house renovations,toys,gates,etc....).I have started on the 7/12/2015 and have been able to record all expenses and incomes from that date.Also are wages recorded as expenses?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there

Thanks for this very useful worksheet,i have started childmindng last december 2015,and came accross this tool,was wandering where do i record all the expenses that i made before starting(e.g house renovation,heater,gates ect...) and also does wages count as expenses?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi happy toddler

Thanks for the worksheet,just want to ask a quick question,I have started my business on December 2015,supposing that I am using the worksheet to input sales and expenses, on the electricity ,council tax and water expenses ,as I understand it is calculated based on the working hours.And on the yearly account the working hours are added together and divided by weeks to get the average weekly working hour,but if you have traded only for half of the year(6months or 3months),it is still divided by 52,which will give you less average working hour.

June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi myriamabedi,

I found this extract that may answer your first question:

If the expenses were incurred within seven years of your starting to trade, and the expenses would have been tax-deductible if you had incurred them while you were trading, then you can claim they were incurred on your first day of trading. This rule does not apply to expenses that will form part of your accounts in any case, for example costs of stock.

If I were you I'd put all pre-trade expenses on the month you're starting (December) but put the receipt date as the date of the expense. This is purely for 'keeping a record' sake. Hopefully all pre-trade expenses were on or after April 2015? (cos that would keep it simple). My only advise is that if the 'renovations' involved building work, extensions or other major home improvements then I would be careful trying to claim it as a business expense. I put a playroom on the house but didn't claim the building work because otherwise it technically belongs to the business and any value increase in the home is proportionally seen as growing capital in the business (taxable!).

As for wages....no such thing in this work...its now called 'taxable income' as far as HMRC are concerned. And this is any invoicing you send out each month. Note: HMRC are cunning...it's what you've invoiced and not what you've received...so we're up for paying the tax on income not received .
    So don't put anything down on the spreadsheet for wages. Just put in the invoice totals.

BTW, I'm not an accountant..this is my take on it with a little help from google...who also isn't a accountant!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by myriamabedi View Post
    Hi there

Thanks for this very useful worksheet,i have started childmindng last december 2015,and came accross this tool,was wandering where do i record all the expenses that i made before starting(e.g house renovation,heater,gates ect...) and also does wages count as expenses?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast