Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  51
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Not a problem. Email your spreadsheet to the email address on the front page of the spreadsheet and include in the email the date you started. I'll modify the spreadsheet to do the average calculation from the day you started. When I reply to your email I attach the modified spreadsheet for 15-16 and include the latest version also for subsequent years.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Marz283 View Post
    Hi and thank you first of all for creating this spreadsheet. I have a couple of questions though.

I only started minding in October so I have the same problem as a few people have posted about with the calculation of how many hours I have worked.

Also, I mainly work off an iPad as I don't have a computer of my own. I have excel on my iPad and have been using it to do my daily expenses on. I have tried clicking on the link for the new spreadsheet but it just opens it up in a browser window and I can't find an option to save the spreadsheet. Do you know if it is possible to save it on an iPad or do I need to use a computer? (I do have access to a computer but it's my husbands work laptop).

Thanks

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marz283 View Post
    Hi and thank you first of all for creating this spreadsheet. I have a couple of questions though.

I only started minding in October so I have the same problem as a few people have posted about with the calculation of how many hours I have worked.

Also, I mainly work off an iPad as I don't have a computer of my own. I have excel on my iPad and have been using it to do my daily expenses on. I have tried clicking on the link for the new spreadsheet but it just opens it up in a browser window and I can't find an option to save the spreadsheet. Do you know if it is possible to save it on an iPad or do I need to use a computer? (I do have access to a computer but it's my husbands work laptop).

Thanks
    It does not matter when you start your business in a spreadsheet...just leave the months you were not trading 'blank'....so in your case your accounts will start in October and end March....IR has no problem with that.

Apart from a spreadsheet you should also back your accounts via 'ledger' and invoice folder...a laptop is ok.

make sure you keep accurate accounts in your own ledger and copies for HMRC....also update your accounts to reflect the changes in funding...what comes in and what goes out.

Good luck

June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    It does not matter when you start your business in a spreadsheet...just leave the months you were not trading 'blank'....so in your case your accounts will start in October and end March....IR has no problem with that.

Apart from a spreadsheet you should also back your accounts via 'ledger' and invoice folder...a laptop is ok.

make sure you keep accurate accounts in your own ledger and copies for HMRC....also update your accounts to reflect the changes in funding...what comes in and what goes out.

Good luck
    Absolutely right Simona. Unfortunately the spreadsheet Marz283 is referring to calculates the average hours per week over the whole year. So it takes the total hours for the year and divides it by 52. From this figure it then calculates the utility bill claim figures etc.. If the minder only started in October then the spreadsheet will still divide the total hours by 52 meaning they'll end up with a really low average and claim less. To solve this for current users of the spreadsheet, all I do is change the divide value to the number of weeks the business has been in existence for the FY.

The option of working with partial years has been implemented on the new spreadsheet at Childminding Accounts Worksheet Download - Home and is useful when starting or closing the business.

thanks all.

4. Likes hectors house liked this post
    july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default virus or spyware problem

Hi, I have just tried to download the latest file, but my virus scanner (mcafee) is coming up with a red warning of virus or spyware and the spreadsheet doesnt download there is a preview of lots of code.
    has the page been hacked or is it just my pc?
    Help please. I have used this spreadsheet before and it is so useful. I am really late this year though I admit.

June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum24 View Post
    Hi, I have just tried to download the latest file, but my virus scanner (mcafee) is coming up with a red warning of virus or spyware and the spreadsheet doesnt download there is a preview of lots of code.
    has the page been hacked or is it just my pc?
    Help please. I have used this spreadsheet before and it is so useful. I am really late this year though I admit.
    Hi,

Thanks for the note there. I've checked the download and it seems ok. It maybe that McAfee is particularly sensitive (probably because some excel sheets run macros, but this one doesn't). It you are worried then please email me at msn @ horrod.com and I'll respond with the spreadsheet attached.

Thanks!

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default all sorted

Quote Originally Posted by happytoddlers View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the note there. I've checked the download and it seems ok. It maybe that McAfee is particularly sensitive (probably because some excel sheets run macros, but this one doesn't). It you are worried then please email me at msn @ horrod.com and I'll respond with the spreadsheet attached.

Thanks!
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I have tried the download on my sons pc (not using McAfree) and it fine, so it must be my virus scanner being pernickety.
    I saved it to usb and then opened it on my pc without any problems, so it must just be mcafee didn't like the download from the internet.
    Thanks again for this, it is so useful and saves so much time.

Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jan 2016 blank?

Is there any way you can help me please, happytoddlers? I am using your fabulous spreadsheet to finally catch up with my accounts but January 2016 is blank...is there any way this can be fixed without me having to redo the full FY?
    Tia

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default please help confused

Quote Originally Posted by brightstars2015 View Post
    Hi
    Was looking for something like this, brilliant sheet, however i am having trouble opening the 2015-2016 file. i have managed to open the 2014-2015. I believe the reason is because i have excel 2003 saved on my computer. Can you please advice if there is a way around this or i will just have to save the 2014-2015 and change the dates..

many thanks
    This looks fab but i'm confused with what you put in the shared family business cost, % proportion childminding. Can you advise please? Many Thanks

June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soph2 View Post
    Is there any way you can help me please, happytoddlers? I am using your fabulous spreadsheet to finally catch up with my accounts but January 2016 is blank...is there any way this can be fixed without me having to redo the full FY?
    Tia
    Hi Soph2! I think we have sorted this one out directly over email since you submitted this post, sorry I haven't looked at this forum for a while. If it's still an issue then please get in touch!

Thanks!

Jan 17
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sebrina Cox View Post
    This looks fab but i'm confused with what you put in the shared family business cost, % proportion childminding. Can you advise please? Many Thanks
    Same here, can anyone explain how this section works? i'm a bit confused

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking expense spreadsheet

does anyone know where i can download this expense spreadsheet - it looks awsomes!!!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A4Apple Daycare View Post
    does anyone know where i can download this expense spreadsheet - it looks awsomes!!!
    Childminding Accounts Worksheet Download - Home - it's a brilliant spreadsheet, my only complaint is that it doesn't input all the figures for me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by happytoddlers View Post
    Hi Steve, I just add them as I go as an expense. The spreadsheet totals them up for you for the claim at the end of the tax year.

Thanks!
    How do you tell the difference though between a normal expense and a capital one? I'm also using this in my first year, are capital expenses not required in their own right on the tax form?

Sorry newbie to this.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me how I enter overnight care into this?

In the shift section if I put start time 19:00 for example and the end time 08:00 it just errors?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjprice View Post
    Can anyone tell me how I enter overnight care into this?

In the shift section if I put start time 19:00 for example and the end time 08:00 it just errors?
    Just put in different times so it makes the same number of hours (eg 0600 - 1900) - it's just so it calculates the percentages for the gas/electricity, council tax/water rates automatically.

Hollyhock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roxiettots View Post
    Same here, can anyone explain how this section works? i'm a bit confused
    ...if anyone can give a brief instruction regarding this, it would really be a help! Please...

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hollyhock View Post
    ...if anyone can give a brief instruction regarding this, it would really be a help! Please...
    This question was regarding percentages of shared family expenses - I interpret this to be things that you bought that you use for your own family and for childminding eg: if you bought your own child a slide for their birthday but will be used equally by childminding children, I would put through 50% - so you enter the amount under toys/equipment as normal and then put in 50% in the percentage column.

I also put through 50% of my general cleaning products, 50% of my vodaphone contract (as I had to upgrade from my nokia brick to a smartphone to do my on-line journals), 50% of my internet costs.

Hollyhock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    This question was regarding percentages of shared family expenses - I interpret this to be things that you bought that you use for your own family and for childminding eg: if you bought your own child a slide for their birthday but will be used equally by childminding children, I would put through 50% - so you enter the amount under toys/equipment as normal and then put in 50% in the percentage column.

I also put through 50% of my general cleaning products, 50% of my vodaphone contract (as I had to upgrade from my nokia brick to a smartphone to do my on-line journals), 50% of my internet costs.
    I see!
    Thanks a lot!

Hollyhock Guest

Default QUESTIONS

Hi again,

I'm getting there, I hope - this spreadsheet certainly is fabulous - but it my first ever tax return and I've got some questions...if any of you could kindly help me out, I'd be really grateful!

- how do I list all the purchases for which I don't have a receipt (e.g. bought on gumtree)?

- how precise do I need to list food expenses? Do I have to divide the cost of a pack of flour into portions of bread etc...?? (it seems silly to me, but it's the first time I'm doing this...)

- there are 3 shifts on the spreadsheet - is this possibly not relevant for everybody and if so, can I just use one of the three columns, and ignore the other two?

- where do I have to list the start-up grant money?

- do I have to list money I was given/lent by my friends and my parents?

- how do I list up the monthly rent (amongst expenses I assume, but what do I write into "receipt"? I don't get a receipt from my landlord, and I pay cash)?

- how do I lest wear and tear (I read it's 10% that we can claim)?

- the first sessions I was paid for in cash, and unfortunately didn't keep any records...will my (signed) attendance register suffice to show how many hours I was paid for?

- I'm going to fill out the online tax return. Will I have to attach digital photographs of all the receipts??
    Last edited by Hollyhock; 10-01-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011