Accountant?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Accountant?

notts Guest

Default Accountant?

how many of you use an accountant for your end of year and how many do it yourselves?

I'm pants at accounts but have been self employed before and done it. Just toying what to do.

I also don't understand this expenses of less than £10 thing which I need to read up on

In fact if I'm honest, I've thought ****** all about the accounts side -= ooops!

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The £10 thing is that you don't need a receipt for any items you buy for your business that cost less than £10.

Apart from food where the Environmental heath ask for all food receipts to be kept for three months in case there is a food poisoning outbreak and they have to trace the source of the food.

I do all my basic book keeping and then give the figures to mt accountant to fill in the Tax Return. She will also advise me as to what I can claim for and for me has been a godsend and has saved me a lot of money over the years.

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I do my own accounts,

Here's a link to a PowerPoint course which goes through the whole process for childminders which will be able to give you more of an idea what to expect/what's involved etc - hope it helps

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/courses/syob/...ncma_menu.html
    Rach x

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to know what childminders think about that course, if you don't want to post here, leave a message on my site.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default accountant dilemma

Is it really essential to have an accountant? If so, what financial aspects of my company or business should I show or divulge?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amygarside View Post
    Is it really essential to have an accountant? If so, what financial aspects of my company or business should I show or divulge?
    No it's not.

Just keep a record of all your incomings and all your outgoings.

There is lots of help around so you can get it right.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use an accountant either - hate doing my accounts though!

Notts NCMA local meeting on 28 May has someone from HMRC coming along. I think there are a few places left so you could sign up if you're interested.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

notts Guest

Thanks everyone

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am using an accountant for the first time since 1993 and that is only because I now work with my hubby and don't have the time to dedicate to it

It is really easy and self explanatory. I always advise my new childminders to use the NCMA book for a year and see how it goes
    Debbie

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I started out 3 yrs ago saying I was going to get an accountant but when I looked at the NCMA accounts book and how simple it was I've saved myself the accountant fees! It is really easy and believe me I am no mathematic genius!

Post Thanks / Like

I havn't used an accountant for childminding but am seriously considering it, we used one for the first time last year for the holiday cottage books, sadly I dont understand how they worked anything out and they cost me £420!!
    I may get myself in a muddle but at least its my muddle, and cost me nothing!!!

If I could find one that I understand and was reasonably priced i would use one for childminding.
    Owners of a lovely 2 bedroom holiday cottage www.thecottagegillamoor.co.uk