Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jun 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can I claim for new Fridge Freezer

Hi ppl, I have started providing all food for my mindees, but want to be able to cook ahead and freeze some and also buy more at once. The problem at the mo, is that my current FF is too small to store food for the family and mindees so I need to get a bigger one. Since I am only doing this to provide food for mindees & am registered as a 'food business' would I be able to claim a proportion (a third?) of the cost of the new one on my expenses??

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

If you only store food for childminding in it, claim 100% - probably as Annual Investment Allowance unless it is really cheap.

If you are just buying a new/bigger fridge/freezer, the cost of this comes under the 10% wear and tear allowance.

jun 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've since spoken with HMRC and they have advised that I should work out the percentage of the area that is used to store mindees food (thinking of maybe 2 fridge shelves and 1 freezer) and divide the cost by this figure and put it down as an expense. On a FF costing £1500 is should work out to about £200.

jun 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acorns View Post
    I've since spoken with HMRC and they have advised that I should work out the percentage of the area that is used to store mindees food (thinking of maybe 2 fridge shelves and 1 freezer) and divide the cost by this figure and put it down as an expense. On a FF costing £1500 is should work out to about £200.
    That said, surely the £200 should be going through under annual investment allowance?

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

Although there is no official threshold, expenditure of less than £250 on 'plant and equipment' can usually be treated as an allowable expense rather than capital so no need to put under AIA.

jun 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks