PDA

View Full Version : Mrs.O (and someone shadowing her!) has left the building

*daisychain*
10-04-2012, 11:17 AM
well thats that over with, phew, I can breath now. I am Good :) which I am pleased about. i only got a satisfactory in working with other setting because I dont have any children who go to another setting, even though I have in place the things I would do. Also my risk assessments were not all signed !! I did querey this as I work alone so its pretty obvious I wrote them, she said if they are not signed perhaps it could be my husband who wrote them !! I wish, oh and the age old thing of the parents not writingh in the learning journeys, even though I have tried to encourage it.
Something she did also bring up, but said she would not put it on the report is not using socket covers :angry: I have print out about the dangers of them in my risk ass file, i also told her I have been advised by an electrician NOT to use them, but she said its a government legislation and I should be doing . I wont.
Reading that back it looks bad!! She was really nice, and so was the woman who came along with her. They stayed for 2 and a half hours, told me I was doing a very good job and overall it was a positive experience.

silvermist
10-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Well done you! Thats fab news. Very interesting about risk assessments not being signed, I hadnt realised they had to be and also interesting about the socket covers too, theres so many who say dont use them but now also saying we should! Who knows! Its really great to hear you good news hun. Again, well done! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

JCrakers
10-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Well done for getting your inspection over and done with.

My RA are not signed
I dont use plug safety sockets
My parents dont write in the journeys

I got a good and hate how inconsistent these reports are

Playmate
10-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Well done :clapping:

We were also picked up for risk assesments not being signed (but 2 of us work together)

BucksCM
10-04-2012, 12:38 PM
:thumbsup: Well done :thumbsup: :D
I have also been told that all the RAs have to be signed by me. I also questioned it, my business, just me writing it all, it's obvious!! But no, they have to be signed :(

Penny1959
10-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Well done you - and FYI - she is wrong about the sockets covers - so good thing she is not putting in the report - as inspectors have had guidance about this - I will try to find in - in case is an issue for anyone else

Penny:)

mama2three
10-04-2012, 12:49 PM
well thats that over with, phew, I can breath now. I am Good :) which I am pleased about. i only got a satisfactory in working with other setting because I dont have any children who go to another setting, even though I have in place the things I would do. Also my risk assessments were not all signed !! I did querey this as I work alone so its pretty obvious I wrote them, she said if they are not signed perhaps it could be my husband who wrote them !! I wish, oh and the age old thing of the parents not writingh in the learning journeys, even though I have tried to encourage it.
Something she did also bring up, but said she would not put it on the report is not using socket covers :angry: I have print out about the dangers of them in my risk ass file, i also told her I have been advised by an electrician NOT to use them, but she said its a government legislation and I should be doing . I wont.
Reading that back it looks bad!! She was really nice, and so was the woman who came along with her. They stayed for 2 and a half hours, told me I was doing a very good job and overall it was a positive experience.
well done! Sounds really positive , now relax!!
If you get opportunity you could refer the inspector to this.. ttp://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/early-years-september-2011

rickysmiths
10-04-2012, 01:17 PM

Did you ask her where it said that? I would be fascinated to know. I would phone the Inspecting Company and say you don't use them but the inspector said there was Government Legislation to say you should and you forgot to ask her where to find a copy of the Legislation, could they tell you the details or email you a link to them please.

As long as you have a RA demonstrating that you are keeping the sockets and children safe that is all you need to do. She won't put anything in your report because she isn't allowed to.

This was posted on the forum by Dave the Socket man from Fatally Flawed:

I'm really sorry that you had a problem with the inspector over this. It must be horribly frustrating to be criticised for doing the right thing!

Here is what Ofsted told me last year:
"In your email you say that there is continuing evidence that Ofsted inspectors are showing disapproval when encountering childcare settings where the decision has been taken not to use socket covers.

In our response (12 December 2008) to your email of 11 December 2008, we made clear our position on the use of socket covers by childcare providers. We neither recommend nor criticise the use of socket covers by childcare providers, only that the environment in which they provide childcare is safe and meets legal requirements. I am sorry to hear that you think that Ofsted inspectors are showing disapproval when socket covers are not in use. If you are able to provide more details of when this is happening, we can follow this up with the inspector or inspectors concerned."

I understand that you did not want to pursue the matter, I have heard a similar response from someone else, but as you can tell from the message above the inspector was just plain wrong!

If anyone else encounters this problem I would really appreciate hearing about it. One thing you might want to do is ask the inspector which particular cover they expect you to use, as there are none which are made to the correct size to be safe to use!

All the best,
David

You also may like to copy section B3 of this Ofsted document to keep with your RA.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/early-years-september-2011

JulieA
10-04-2012, 02:51 PM
And these are the written risk assessments that childminders don't have to have in a written format - just able to show that you have the children's safety in mind.

sarah707
10-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Well done you! :clapping:

Socket covers - as Ricky says it's not statutory or guidance and there is no requirement to have them and Ofsted should NOT comment on them.

Risk assessments - JulieA they do need to be written - the changes to the Eyfs don't happen until 1st September!!

They must each have your name on them to say 'written by' but signing is not a requirement.

If it states 'signing' on your report make a complaint.

Hth :D

miffy
10-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Congratulations on your good grade. Hope you can relax and celebrate now

Miffy xx

Maza
10-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Congratulations! Poor you having two of them!

anisha
10-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Well done on your grading, fantastic news:clapping:

flowerpots
11-04-2012, 05:18 AM
Congratulations hun, well done. :clapping::clapping:

JulieA
11-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Risk assessments - JulieA they do need to be written - the changes to the Eyfs don't happen until 1st September!!

Sorry Sarah you are quite right - I had literally just been reading through the changes to the EYFS and getting a bit confuddled!

I do think though that come Sept Inspectors will still want to see written RAs regardless of what the EYFS actually states, and I fear CMs will be marked down if they don't have them.

Heaven Scent
11-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Many Many congratulations on your result - its so unfair how inconsistent these inspections are - but perhaps one day something will happen and it will change - perhaps there should be a childminder uprising LOL!!!

You did really well getting through it with two of them in your home - when the children go home sit and chill and take it easy.