PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a pet tortoise?

Bernie
09-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi,

I have been thinking about getting a tortoise since I was 6 years old. I'm now 32, with two kids, my own house and a husband. My mum told me I could have one when I had a house of my own......so I guess now is a good time. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Does anyone have one and could point me in the right direction for good advise, good informative websites or good books for research?

Also, are there any down sides to having one....apart from it may out live me?

Many Thanks

candy cat
09-04-2012, 07:23 PM
yes we have one ....so cute! ...I purchased from The tortoise shop ......look at there website.....not cheap to start up...got my indoor box from ebay for 40 quid....so shop around x

angeldelight
09-04-2012, 07:43 PM
I have my little pebble

I also got him from the tortoise shop

I think there are pics somewhere in the forum I will have a look for them

Angel xxx

Ripeberry
09-04-2012, 11:01 PM
I had one back in the 1980s. It used to escape the garden by climbing up the chain link fence. Yes they climb! So best to keep it indoors or at least use something to 'box' it in.
We ended up having to use one of those 'swing ball' posts and had a string selotaped around the shell.
But he still used to escape and would disappear in Autumn only to reappear in Spring very muddy. He did not survive one hibernation in 1987 when it got warm then very cold and warm again. :(