PDA

View Full Version : Sources of Protein for Fussy Eater

Tealady
09-04-2012, 12:39 PM
My DD (6) can be quite picky. We she will eat a good range of veg now, however the only protein she seems to eat these days is all processed i.e. Ham, Bacon, Sausages, Fish Fingers. She will eat mince (does this count a processed?) but any other meat or fish she will not touch, apart from a token mouthful to say she's tried it. I've give it to her roasted, in sauces, slow cooked but still she doesn't seem to like it.

I can't keep giving her processed meat & fish all the time. I know we don't need huge amouts of protein but she is growing girl and I do worry.

Would appriciate any idea on how much she actually needs, and any ideas or receipes for other sources of protein.

We're trying Falafels for tea today, and she likes curry so will be doing a lentil and veg curry in the week. (If I even put the tiniest amount of meat in it gets left :()

rickysmiths
09-04-2012, 12:52 PM
I do feel for you. However do remember that Peas, beans and lentils are all a good source of protein and that vegetarians survive!

If she likes fish fingers try the ones made by people like Waitrose that are made from pure fish, though the Birds Eye one are good.

Baked beans are a good source of protein. Mince is excellent and as long as you buy a good quality mince or mince from a good butcher it is not processed. You can buy minced chicken, turkey, pork and lamb so you can ring the changes that way as well.

Does she eat cheese or drink milk, eat fromage frais or youghurt? If she will eat vey what about a veg cheese or a pasta cheese. She will then get all the protien she needs from the milk and cheeses and you can always add some beans of some sort or an handful of lentils.

little chickee
09-04-2012, 12:55 PM
eggs, quinoa, fish (including tuna), milk, cheese, greek yoghurt, nuts - all good good sources of protein.

Nothing wrong with a vegetarian diet for kids.:thumbsup:

Bridey
09-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Have you tried Quorn 'chicken'? The texture is slightly different to meat.

Marks & Spencers do a book called 1 Mince Mix, 100 Dishes ... lots of mince ideas in there.

The Juggler
09-04-2012, 04:40 PM
i was going to mention beans and pulses and if mindee likes mince then try quorn mince/burgers etc.

lozb81
09-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Have you tried hummus? I use it as a dip for breadsticks and veggies and it seems quite popular.

Maza
09-04-2012, 08:57 PM
If she will eat mince - I presume you are talking about minced beef - have you tried minced chicken, minced turkey, minced pork or minced lamb? DD loves tofu - there is an organic one with sesame seeds. It's yummy and you don't have to cook it, I just cut it into small cubes and she has it as a snack or as part of a meal. We get it from Waitrose, don't know if anywhere else stocks it. It's in the chilled section with the quorn products.

samb
10-04-2012, 09:13 PM
My dd is also 6 and barely eats protein. She likes tinned tuna (so I do a tuna pasta bake and 1 tuna sandwich every week) and chicken nuggets. She doesn't really like minced beef much but likes spag bol so I give her more spag and sauce and a tiny bit of meat which she usually leaves half of. She has started eating cheese so has cheese or cream cheese sandwiches too. And has a fromage frais every day. She doesn't like any roast meats, slo cooked meats, meats in dishes, beans or pulses. She doesn't even like the usual kids stuff like fish fingers, sausages or ham.

However she also doesn't eat much veg! I manage to get her to eat a variety purely through pureeing homemade veg based pasta sauces. She doesn't like white sauces or cooked cheese either.

I have found a few things that I can adapt so she will try some bits of meals - if I cook shepherd's pie I puree veg and mix with the meat and put on plate separate to the potato. She then eats a bit of potato and a bit of meat. Is it possible that she would try foods if they were presented differently? Is it the texture? Could you blend the meat?

I find it sooooo frustrating and I have tried so many different things. I am really at the point where I am so pleased when she eats something and I don't have to throw a whole meal away! She eats breakfast - usually toast/brioche and a cereal (dry with a cup of milk as she doesn't like cereal wet), healthy snacks such as fresh fruits, dried fruits, rice cakes, breadtsicks, plain biscuits, cheese cubes. A lunch of sandwich, fruit, fromage frais, dried fruit bar and a "treat" - usually a biscuit or sometimes crisps. It's just the dinner really.

Tealady
10-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Forgot that cheese counts as a protein. I always count it as a dairy portion and nothing else.

She likes tuna, only on a sarni though. Eats cheese. Likes houmous (but only Waitrose's Morrocan style :rolleyes:). Loves Baked Beans. The Falafels I made last night went down like a lead balloon. I think they were to herby so will try again.

I suppose she does get enough protein over a few days, it's just somedays I worry as she doesn't appear to have eaten any.

jumpinjen
11-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Dips like hoummous and smoked mackerel pate and smoked salmon pate with veg sticks are protein, as well as boiled eggs cold with lunch - quinoa is really good too for making a hot or cold salad!

jen x