PDA

View Full Version : starting points?!

sophia36
07-04-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm just after a bit of advice and being a bit nosy to see what everone else does!
How do you all evidence your mindee's starting points when they first enter your setting?

I've never really done this as i feel it takes me a month or so to get to know them. After about 6 weeks i complete a planning web with details of where they are at developmentally in the 6 areas of learning and then jot down next steps. Is this enough? I was wondering if anyone knew of a template or tick chart? One of my new little ones only comes for 4 hours a week and i can't imagine how i adequately assess her development in such a short time:panic:

The more I read about good practice the more i feel i am not doing enough even though i seem to spend a lot of time doing paperwork!

Anyway my lovelies, any ideas?

sarah707
07-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I take the first few weeks to watch and listen.

I make notes, talk to parents and compare what I find out against the Development Matters document.

I agree it's much harder for part time children - but then you won't need to write as much so there is a payback! :D

sophia36
08-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks Sarah x

miffy
08-04-2012, 07:15 AM
I do much the same as Sarah but I also get the parents to fill in lots of details about what their child can do/likes and dislikes etc before they start with me. That also gives me a good idea of what the child can do and what I might need to look for.

Miffy xx

2kidsunder5
08-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi

I am pretty much the same as Sarah and Miffy too. I observe the child for the first 4 weeks, taking notes of what they can, cant' do, like and dislike. I then write up what I call "My first few weeks", it's more of a bullet point type of thing to be honest giving details of my obs and how they have settled etc and I highlight on their tracker everything I have seen them do in those first few weeks. Once that's done I can start to plan for their next steps.

Hope that makes sense :)

Diane

sophia36
08-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks for your advice, it's basically what i'm doing already! I think i need to stop being so paranoid!!!