PDA

View Full Version : So worried about what I've just had done at the dentist

Cazz
05-04-2012, 04:43 PM
I've had a gum infection and because the tooth affected already had a root canal treatment I had to have an apicoetomy (sp?) which is basically the gum cut open and the infected area cleaned out.

What I'm really worried about is that he had to put a filling in it to seal it and it was a normal silver one which means there will be some mercury in there. I'm so worried that this could be dangerous - I already have loads of silver fillings that have been put in over the years as I have always had problems with my teeth. In my mind though, I'm thinking it may be worse because it's actually in the gum.

What's made it worse is that I've looked on the internet and there's so many bad things about mercury poisioning and the effects it can have on you that I'm really worried about it - almost to the point of having a panic attack.

Trouble is, I don't know what I can do about it now.

miffy
05-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Phone back and ask to speak to the dentist, perhaps then he/she can reassure you.

Miffy xx

Cazz
05-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Phone back and ask to speak to the dentist, perhaps then he/she can reassure you.

Miffy xx

They're closed now until Tuesday.

I did actually ask if it was a normal filling when we were waiting for the anaesthitic to work and he said that is what they use and there has been much controversy about it over the years but the nhs haven't been instructed not to use it.

He did then say he could refer me to the hospital who may use different materials but I felt he was a bit peed off with me and I felt under pressure because the anaesthitic was already in and I had got myself so worked up about it that I just wanted the procedure over and done with.

I'm a real worrier though - especially at the moment - and am concerned I could develop a serious illness or condition because of this.

sarah707
05-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Nothing is going to happen to you between now and Tuesday - unless you worry yourself into being poorly. :(

An emergency dentist will be available if you really need to speak to someone (which I think you do).

Hugs xx

clareelizabeth1
05-04-2012, 05:22 PM
You can alway ring NHS direct they are really good for things like that. But remember all dentist have to be sure that nothing would happen because of what they have done. So try not to worrie and enjoy Easter.

hollyoaksmad
05-04-2012, 06:05 PM
iv just had two wisdom teeth out today asleep and cudnt shut my eye rather crazy!
there is an emergency dentist on nhs direct give them a ring they give good advice

loocyloo
05-04-2012, 06:07 PM
PM toothfairy! she was really helpful when i needed emergency rootcanal and was panicing!