PDA

View Full Version : What is your "unusual food/meal"

EmmaReed84
04-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Every area has random things they like... This is coming off my previous thread about dinners in the summer, this got DH and me talking about food... Down in Essex they have Pie, Mash and Liquor :rolleyes: Never heard of that until I moved here... However after a very heavy night out we all (northerners - Scunthorpe) used to get Chips with cheese and gravy... ummmm yummy lol

What things do you like?

Zoomie
04-04-2012, 07:46 PM
sadza & nyama ......

which is the name they use in Zimbabwe, but as I am originally from South Africa, there it would have been called pap 'n vleis.

Direct translation would be maize meal and meat.

Best is when an African cooks it with onion and tomato gravy :thumbsup:

WibbleWobble
04-04-2012, 08:09 PM
i am a 7th generation (on mothers side) mancunian and i love "taterpie" its the manc version of lobby or scouse,,,,,its made of minced beef and chunks of potatoes all under a pastry top- yes its meat and potato pie but on a bigger scale.

BUT...it has to be eaten with picallili, pickled onions and pickled red cabbage.

My OH who has his own local food likes (orrible orrible oatcakes) thinks its a weird combination and told me he thought i had made it all up....until my mothers cousins son (we are a very close family!) came to meet Phil for the first time and i made "taterpie". Cousin was very excited when i brought out the condiments required.....phil was dismayed!

FussyElmo
04-04-2012, 08:18 PM
i am a 7th generation (on mothers side) mancunian and i love "taterpie" its the manc version of lobby or scouse,,,,,its made of minced beef and chunks of potatoes all under a pastry top- yes its meat and potato pie but on a bigger scale.

BUT...it has to be eaten with picallili, pickled onions and pickled red cabbage.

My OH who has his own local food likes (orrible orrible oatcakes) thinks its a weird combination and told me he thought i had made it all up....until my mothers cousins son (we are a very close family!) came to meet Phil for the first time and i made "taterpie". Cousin was very excited when i brought out the condiments required.....phil was dismayed!

And what is wrong with oatcakes???????????????

MMM bacon cheeses and tomato oatcakes :D

WibbleWobble
04-04-2012, 08:21 PM
oatcakes= those foam cloths you can get at makros in newcastle under lyme....

yeuk...yeuk....yeuk...

he was very upset to read the last "hole in the wall" oatcake shop!

mandy xxx

Bridey
04-04-2012, 08:25 PM
I don't believe that here in Hampshire we have anything regionally different about our food. However I would like to personally recommend a fishfinger and chip tortilla wrap. Mmmmmmmmmmm :)

FussyElmo
04-04-2012, 08:26 PM
oatcakes= those foam cloths you can get at makros in newcastle under lyme....

yeuk...yeuk....yeuk...

he was very upset to read the last "hole in the wall" oatcake shop!

mandy xxx

Shocking they knocked it down - heritage means nothing around here :rolleyes:

Oatcake shops that kept the batter in the dustbin - probably dont now :laughing::laughing:

Sunday morning breakfast :)

LOOPYLISA
04-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Hubbys from Stoke and loves oatcakes :panic:

Im a southerner and am quite normal although avocado and bacon sarnies are nice :D

The Juggler
04-04-2012, 09:01 PM
oooh me, me - have to tell you. fabby food street (for after hours) in Cardiff - they serve a tray of big fat chippie chips and they pour on chicken gravy (chunks of really nice chicken breast in teh thickest stand a spoon in gravy - absolutely lush! and the only thing to eat at 3am :laughing:

Maza
04-04-2012, 09:03 PM
I loved black peas on bonfire night but nobody down here has heard of them. You used to buy them in a polystyrene cup at bonfires. mmm.

sarah707
04-04-2012, 09:08 PM
I still have my mum's Yorkshire pudding recipe even though I live in Cheshire now...

I love gravy on my fish and chips - couldn't get it down south - they don't know what they are missing! :D

The Juggler
04-04-2012, 09:20 PM
I still have my mum's Yorkshire pudding recipe even though I live in Cheshire now...

I love gravy on my fish and chips - couldn't get it down south - they don't know what they are missing! :D

Gravy on chips is a must - regardless of what you are having with it :clapping::clapping:

lozzy23
04-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Every area has random things they like... This is coming off my previous thread about dinners in the summer, this got DH and me talking about food... Down in Essex they have Pie, Mash and Liquor :rolleyes: Never heard of that until I moved here... However after a very heavy night out we all (northerners - Scunthorpe) used to get Chips with cheese and gravy... ummmm yummy lol

What things do you like?

My family are originally from south London and my nan used to make us pie, mash and liquor every saturday, I used to add loads of vinegar. yummy yummy - wow thats taken me back 30+ years and now my mouths watering:laughing:

blue bear
05-04-2012, 07:24 AM
my dh cringes whe i have a nice chunk of cheese with fruit cake.

AliceK
05-04-2012, 07:57 AM
Yorkshire pudding with golden syrup.
Weetabix smothered with loads of butter, mmmm. Might have some now actually.

xxxx

smurfette
05-04-2012, 08:05 AM
In Ireland we love bacon (boiled
Ham joint) cabbage and mashed potato and of course Irish stew. The chip shops do battered burgers which are really not battered but in a spicy breadcrumb.

loopyloopy
05-04-2012, 08:07 AM
I have to say the oatcake bashing is just not on :laughing::laughing:

They are the most wonderful breakfast/lunch/dinner EVER!!!

My dad is coming to visit at the weekend and I have said he will not be allowed through the door unless he is armed with oatcakes :laughing: They are the only things I miss about living in Stoke, oatcakes on tap, will have to find another post to read now before I end up slobbering over my laptop :laughing::laughing:

rickysmiths
05-04-2012, 12:15 PM
my dh cringes whe i have a nice chunk of cheese with fruit cake.

Oh I do that Yum Yum!

Although I guess I am a southerner I love Oat Cakes.

Welsh cakes are a favourite here. I use my Welsh Grandmothers recipe.

Donkey
06-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Hendersons...

enough said!

SYLVIA
07-04-2012, 07:29 AM

I spent a year living in Middlewich and worked in the Knutsford High School. I was amazed at the amount of kids who wanted chips and gravy for lunch.

sonia ann
07-04-2012, 07:42 AM
chips and gravy.............yuk :eek:
chips and curry sauce.........yuk :eek:

the only thing allowed on chips in my opinion should be salt and vinegar .................................................. .................................................. ..................................but then I am a born and bred southerner ;)

~Chelle~
08-04-2012, 07:24 PM
I am from London and HATE Pie and Mash. The pies are tasteless and so is the mash and don't even get me started on the liquor :laughing:

I love fishfinger sarnies. Also love chips and gravy and chips and curry sauce :D

Monkey26
08-04-2012, 08:17 PM
I like Flamin hot monster munch dipped in mayonnaise! x

julie w
09-04-2012, 09:14 AM
I have to say the oatcake bashing is just not on :laughing::laughing:

They are the most wonderful breakfast/lunch/dinner EVER!!!

My dad is coming to visit at the weekend and I have said he will not be allowed through the door unless he is armed with oatcakes :laughing: They are the only things I miss about living in Stoke, oatcakes on tap, will have to find another post to read now before I end up slobbering over my laptop :laughing::laughing:

I love oatcakes too. Must say the ones from the supermarkets arent half as nice as ones from our local oatcake shop. Cheese bacon and mushrooms. mmm. Where do u live....I would always post you some xx